No longer need CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bilnap

Re: No longer need CPAP

Post by bilnap » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 am

resmed user wrote:In 2007 I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, and was prescribed a CPAP which I used for about a little less than year. After much research and deliberation I decided to have bariatric surgery. Four months after surgery I found I no longer needed my CPAP.

I have a RES MED Escape II with humidifier and a couple of masks which I own. I don't know if it is possible to sell, here or elsewhere. Does anyone know? I paid more than $500 for this, and I would like to recoup a little of it, and make it easier for someone else who was diagnosed as I was and can't afford a "new" one.
I see many for sale on Craigslist. But check with your sleep Doctor. You may not get any money but they are always looking for equipment for those that cannot afford to pay or have no insurance.

plr66

Re: No longer need CPAP

Post by plr66 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 am

Not to rain on your parade, and I'm certain you feel like this has been beaten to death. BUT.
I was diagnosed at the upper end, but still technically "Mild" range of OSA. And at the point I had my study done, I had been tossing & turning every single night getting maybe 2-4 hours of total but fragmented sleep if lucky, for many years; for several months had been literally staggering from my bed to the shower every morning, at most times dizzy and bumping into things until about 9:00am; going to the bathroom 4-5 times per night; behaving in every way like a person with middle stage Alzheimers (flat, severely unable to find words; unable to remember anything I had just done 10 minutes before, unless there was evidence in front of me; unable to process things; having to ask how to do some of the everyday tasks at work...well you get the picture......"Mild" seemed an absurd diagnosis at the time, given that I truly believed I was dying. And which is why I've not missed a night of cpap ever since. Love the thing!!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.