Leak Rate with Swift FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
asylvia

Re: Leak Rate with Swift FX

Post by asylvia » Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 am

so last night with the small pillows i got a leak rate of .02 vs the .03 + i had been getting with the large. i find it hard to believe i could be small though. not that i have a huge nose or anything, i just assumed the smalls were for women, haha.

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm

A few humbly submitted comments on this thread:

1) Initial size decisions are made very obvious from the sizing video on Redmed's web site. You just need to hold just the pillows near your nostrils and look in a mirror. It's super easy to tell what size to start with.

2) I love the comment about snug, but not tight re: the straps. That has worked for me. Another video on Resmed's web site helps greatly as a starting point.

3) Sometimes when sleeping (all right!!!), the behind-head-strap slips up a bit, loosening the mask. I just pull that strap down towards my neck and that resettles everything nicely.

4) The size indicator on the pillows is always to the left, i.e. on the side with your left arm. That hint has made it always easy for me to keep from putting the thing on backwards.

Thanks much,

Redeye

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Tue May 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Redeye wrote:A few humbly submitted comments on this thread:

1) Initial size decisions are made very obvious from the sizing video on Redmed's web site. You just need to hold just the pillows near your nostrils and look in a mirror. It's super easy to tell what size to start with.

i've watched this video a few times now. are you trying to size up your nostril size to the widest part of the nasal pillow? what exactly are you looking for here?

2) I love the comment about snug, but not tight re: the straps. That has worked for me. Another video on Resmed's web site helps greatly as a starting point.

snug but not tight is pretty objective, but it seems if you have it too tight it would make your nose kind of push up in an unnatural way.

3) Sometimes when sleeping (all right!!!), the behind-head-strap slips up a bit, loosening the mask. I just pull that strap down towards my neck and that resettles everything nicely.

good idea, will try this.

4) The size indicator on the pillows is always to the left, i.e. on the side with your left arm. That hint has made it always easy for me to keep from putting the thing on backwards.

also a good suggestion though i've never had a problem with the pillows being upside down.

Thanks much,

Redeye

Redeye

Post by Redeye » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm

asylvia wrote:
Redeye wrote:A few humbly submitted comments on this thread:

i've watched this video a few times now. are you trying to size up your nostril size to the widest part of the nasal pillow? what exactly are you looking for here?
Redeye
When viewed holding just the pillows near the end of your nose, it should be obvious if the size you're holding comes even close to the width/position of your nostrils. It's very easy to tell if a certain size will be way off or close, espicially because they ship all three with the mask. If the Small looks too wide, then an XS can be ordered.

Thanks.

Redeye

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Tue May 25, 2010 3:26 pm

well i've used all three, and all three fit in my nose.....which one is the best, i've still not figured out.

ShawneeSandy

Post by ShawneeSandy » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

I had alot of leakage with the Swift FX. I loosened the headgear a tad and it made all the difference in the world! Now I only have leaks when I toss and turn.
"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it" ~ Mark Twain

Nord

Post by Nord » Tue May 25, 2010 4:26 pm

asylvia wrote:well i've used all three, and all three fit in my nose.....which one is the best, i've still not figured out.
The "best" size is the one that is most comfortable in the snug position and has the best leak parameters...
For "fit"... I have had experience with quite a few mask including the Swift LT and FX which I now have...
If you inspect your Nares (openings) that is the size that will matter most. Lg is the size of your Nares... not your nose overall
The pillows should rest on the Nare opening fully covering and providing a tight seal.

There are some things preventing this:
Each of you Nares will be different sizes and perhaps they are not level.
The shape of your Nares may be slotted... which means that your Nares will have to expand... making it uncomfortable or bad seal.
Nasal hairs can prevent a good seal at times.
Injuries can damage the shape of the opening making seals difficult.

After the sizing then you have to spend a lot of time experimenting with straps on the headgear...
The straps will change the angle of the Pillow as well as the "snugness".
If you are lucky... you will find the right angle and tightness quickly but... there are no perfect rules... You Must Do the Work if you want results.

After Sizing and Position of straps/headgear... then you have do deal with sleeping position/ sleeping pillow.
If you sleep on your back for most of the night... masks will be less of an issue.
If you sleep at all on your side and/or tummy then... it could displace your mask depending.
The FX is pretty light... not the lightest at 83 gms... same as the Zest Nasal Large and about 17 gms heavier than the LT. (light is ideal for movers)
The straps (silicone) of the FX hold the pillows in place pretty good as they don't slide as much as the poly/nylon headgear.
Then sleeping pillows make difference... feather, foam, memory foam, buckwheat hull. There is not one best but there is one that works better with certain masks.

If the choice is between LT and FX... then compare the pillows (I have both masks - brand new). IMHO...
The sizing is the same for Large, Medium and Small on personal inspection and direct comparison.
The silicone pillows on the FX are much thicker material for the base and inner pillow layer.
It has to be... because the pillows on LT are supported by a heavier silicone base.
It also appears that the FX pillows inner membrane is stiffer and heavier material as it does not collapse as easily as the LT by rudimentary testing by myself.
My guess is that ResMed responded to complaints about collapsing pillows and made changes to the Nare molds accordingly.

If you wonder why ResMed does not pull or change the LT mask... my guess is that they still had many satisfied customers who liked the LT just the way it was.
It seems that most masks do not go away unless no one buys them (DME's).

BTW: For myself... I have given up on the LT (It is lighter and quieter) because I cannot get a good seal w/o collapse of the pillows.
I am still working with the FX (about a week) and I think it will work out at this point.

Sorry to go on... but masks are a real interest for me... much more than machines.

Nord

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Wed May 26, 2010 6:57 am

hey good write up, and i agree that masks are more interesting than the machines. ive been working with my FX for about a week and am now back on the medium sized pillows but still getting leaks around .3. i don't know how others are achieving leaks of 0.

Nord

Post by Nord » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 am

asylvia wrote:hey good write up, and i agree that masks are more interesting than the machines. ive been working with my FX for about a week and am now back on the medium sized pillows but still getting leaks around .3. i don't know how others are achieving leaks of 0.
Leaks are often misquoted because they can be l/min; l/sec; Median; 95 Percentile; Max; or entered wrongly on the machine if it's ResMed.
Not everyone understands what is being quoted...

Are you seeing your leaks on software ??
If so... when are they happening ??
Do they happen in relation to other events ??
What mask do you have entered on your S8 ??
Is .3 in l/sec ??
Do you mouth breath while sleeping ??

You need a lot of detail... to fine tune problems... it is work.

Nord

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Nord wrote:
asylvia wrote:hey good write up, and i agree that masks are more interesting than the machines. ive been working with my FX for about a week and am now back on the medium sized pillows but still getting leaks around .3. i don't know how others are achieving leaks of 0.
Leaks are often misquoted because they can be l/min; l/sec; Median; 95 Percentile; Max; or entered wrongly on the machine if it's ResMed.
Not everyone understands what is being quoted...

Are you seeing your leaks on software ??
If so... when are they happening ??
Do they happen in relation to other events ??
What mask do you have entered on your S8 ??
Is .3 in l/sec ??
Do you mouth breath while sleeping ??

You need a lot of detail... to fine tune problems... it is work.

I am seeing the leak rate on the machine itself and on my restraxx website that my DME tracks my data on.
i have entered into my S8 that the mask is a "swift"
and yes the leak is .3 l/sec.
i do not believe i mouth breathe while sleeping. and this leak rate has increased since using the activa lt when it was between 0 and 1, so i don't think this is related to mouth breathing.

Nord

Nord

Post by Nord » Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm

asylvia wrote: I am seeing the leak rate on the machine itself and on my restraxx website that my DME tracks my data on.
i do not believe i mouth breathe while sleeping. and this leak rate has increased since using the activa lt when it was between 0 and 1, so i don't think this is related to mouth breathing.
The leak rating on your LCD gives you a 95 percentile rating which bis the one you should care most about...
0.3l/sec is rated by ResMed as "Good"...
ResMed:
5 * = excellent: 0.00 - 0.18 L/second,
4 * = very good: 0.19 -0.26
3* = good: 0.27-0.34
Anything higher than that = adjust mask.

That being said, your rating of "good" takes into consideration what your therapy is accomplishing already... your rating by AHI.
It's hard to tell everything by LCD but your can see the direction of your therapy and how you feel is the best indicator.

What makes you think that you DO NOT mouth breathe ??
I thought I didn't at all... but I do with some masks... like the FX.
Try taping your mouth for a couple of nights to be sure.
Check the results on the screen.
Do you sleep on your back side or stomach ??
Do you move around a lot ??
Do you get any snores ??
Is your DME any help ??

I believe that if the FX is comfortable for you and there are no leaks when you set it up till you sleep...
then it just adjusting and spending time getting it right.

For me... My thoughts...the most important factors favouring the FX is:
Light mask to not pull away from seal.
Small protrusion for side sleeping and moving.
Works on low pressure (7 cm) and with EPR with no complaint (unlike Activa LT)
Comfortable to wear (great) and breathe through (OK)

Nord

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 am

The silicone pillows on the FX are much thicker material for the base and inner pillow layer.
It has to be... because the pillows on LT are supported by a heavier silicone base.
It also appears that the FX pillows inner membrane is stiffer and heavier material as it does not collapse as easily as the LT by rudimentary testing by myself.
My guess is that ResMed responded to complaints about collapsing pillows and made changes to the Nare molds accordingly.
Nord, I asked you about this on the other thread, too, but it's dropped off the first page. Your theory sounds good, but I think you posted in the other thread that you have only been using the FX and LT for a short period of time.

Seems to me that many people are reporting that the FX pillows break down just as quickly as the LT pillows--I was wondering how long you've been using the FX and if you find that to be the case?

I love the LT, would very much like to try the FX, but I'm very fed up with the pillow quality on the LT and if I'm going to have the same issues with an FX it's time for me to jump ship and pick another manufacturer who builds a little more quality into the materials (I'm considering the Opus 360).

My most recent set of LT pillows seemed to start leaking after just 8 days--that's a ridiculously short period of time. I'm carefully following the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning and treating them VERY gently, and STILL having this problem. GRRRRRRR!!!!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Thu May 27, 2010 10:03 am

Nord wrote:
asylvia wrote: I am seeing the leak rate on the machine itself and on my restraxx website that my DME tracks my data on.
The leak rating on your LCD gives you a 95 percentile rating which bis the one you should care most about...
0.3l/sec is rated by ResMed as "Good"...
ResMed:
5 * = excellent: 0.00 - 0.18 L/second,
4 * = very good: 0.19 -0.26
3* = good: 0.27-0.34
Anything higher than that = adjust mask.

That being said, your rating of "good" takes into consideration what your therapy is accomplishing already... your rating by AHI.
It's hard to tell everything by LCD but your can see the direction of your therapy and how you feel is the best indicator.

What makes you think that you DO NOT mouth breathe ??

i just assume i'm not mouth breathing because i know i breathe through my nose when i sleep. maybe i should try the tape.

I thought I didn't at all... but I do with some masks... like the FX.
Try taping your mouth for a couple of nights to be sure.
Check the results on the screen.

Do you sleep on your back side or stomach ??

i usually sleep on my back, occasionally side. (i used to sleep on my stomach but that doesn't work anymore)

Do you move around a lot ??

i don't think i move around too much

Do you get any snores ??

no snoring since i started apap use.

Is your DME any help ??

my dme said before i started with the FX that i'd probably experience more leaks, but i just assumed since there are people on cpaptalk.com getting zero leaks, why can't i !

I believe that if the FX is comfortable for you and there are no leaks when you set it up till you sleep...
then it just adjusting and spending time getting it right.

For me... My thoughts...the most important factors favouring the FX is:
Light mask to not pull away from seal.
Small protrusion for side sleeping and moving.
Works on low pressure (7 cm) and with EPR with no complaint (unlike Activa LT)
Comfortable to wear (great) and breathe through (OK)

the reason i switched to the FX was that especially now since it's getting warmer, my face has been sweating under the activa lt, so i guess i wanted a more comfortable mask. and the FX is definitely more comfortable.

Nord

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 am

Janknitz wrote:
Nord, I asked you about this on the other thread, too, but it's dropped off the first page. Your theory sounds good, but I think you posted in the other thread that you have only been using the FX and LT for a short period of time.

Seems to me that many people are reporting that the FX pillows break down just as quickly as the LT pillows--I was wondering how long you've been using the FX and if you find that to be the case?

I love the LT, would very much like to try the FX, but I'm very fed up with the pillow quality on the LT and if I'm going to have the same issues with an FX it's time for me to jump ship and pick another manufacturer who builds a little more quality into the materials (I'm considering the Opus 360).

My most recent set of LT pillows seemed to start leaking after just 8 days--that's a ridiculously short period of time. I'm carefully following the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning and treating them VERY gently, and STILL having this problem. GRRRRRRR!!!!
You're Right Janknitz...

My response to you is on the second page of this forum under FX Durability.
It wasn't theory... it was my experience with the LT and FX... you should re-read it...

Nord

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 am

asylvia wrote: i just assume i'm not mouth breathing because i know i breathe through my nose when i sleep. maybe i should try the tape.

i usually sleep on my back, occasionally side. (i used to sleep on my stomach but that doesn't work anymore)

i don't think i move around too much

no snoring since i started apap use.

my dme said before i started with the FX that i'd probably experience more leaks, but i just assumed since there are people on cpaptalk.com getting zero leaks, why can't i !

the reason i switched to the FX was that especially now since it's getting warmer, my face has been sweating under the activa lt, so i guess i wanted a more comfortable mask. and the FX is definitely more comfortable.
You may have mouth breathing even if you are used to breathing through your nose.
BTW Medical Science assures us that everyone breathes through their nose when they sleep unless something goes wrong.
Your nose is a perfect breathing system for us as it warms the air and naturally humidifies the air...

But... things go wrong... swelling, congestion, rhinitis, deviation, and then masks with restrictions on top of higher pressure.
Most of us assume we don't mouth breathe or move around or even snore until we get the evidence.
A Sleep Study will give you an exact answer for 1 night or somebody to watch over us all night will help.
If we have software and machines that distinguish... then we can tell somewhat from leaks after some experience.

Since you only have the LCD to go by... I believe you have to assume the worst until you prove otherwise.
Assume you mouth breathe and try taping for several nights and see the difference with leak numbers.
Apneas and breathing restrictions can cause mouth breathing.

If you sleep on your back and don't move most of the time... then it is easy on mask seal and shouldn't be a problem.
I thought I stayed in 1 position most of the night... wrong... After investigating... I am a very restless sleeper
and that is a big problem for leaks.

You have to isolate each concern until you can eliminate it.

BTW... the FX is very comfortable but the seal on pillows masks are magnified
because the seal contact area is much smaller and importance is magnified.
Runny nose on a nasal mask is discomfort... on a pillows mask it is a major leak.

Get your DME to work with you to try to overcome the leaks by using his experience with adjustments.

Nord