Leak Rate with Swift FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
magicland

Re: Leak Rate with Swift FX

Post by magicland » Thu May 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Another thing to consider is the mask setting on the CPAP. The FX has a higher venting rate than the LT, and as your machine predates the existence of your mask, your selection of "SWIFT" is probably under-estimating your mask vent rate.

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Fri May 28, 2010 8:47 am

magicland wrote:Another thing to consider is the mask setting on the CPAP. The FX has a higher venting rate than the LT, and as your machine predates the existence of your mask, your selection of "SWIFT" is probably under-estimating your mask vent rate.
What would you recommend changing the mask setting to?

what do others who use the FX with an S8 set their mask to?

i also tried the tape last night and couldn't get comfortable with it so ripped it off. i used the method where you turn your lips in before applying the tape and i think that is what actually felt akward to me. is it necessary to do this? can you just apply the tape to your lips as they normally rest?

frh

Post by frh » Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm

My S9 gives me 3 choices, Pillows, Full Face or Nasal. I am using a Swift FX and have it set to Pillows. I don't think I am loosing very much air do to leaks in the nasal pillows most of the night. And I have not been waking-up with a dry mouth since I have been using the CPAP machine so I don't think I am mouth breathing.

According to my wife I roll over in my sleep rather agressively several times a night. The detail graphs confirm that with 2 or more spikes in my leak rate most nights.

My 30 day average Leak is: Median 1.2, 95th Percentile 15.0 and Maximum 30.0. Last night I put an extra strap across my forehead to try to keep it from moving around in my sleep. My Median leak was 0.0, my 95th Percentile was 9.6 and my Maximum leak was 21.6.

I would appreciate any comments about those numbers.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sat May 29, 2010 11:20 am

frh wrote:My 30 day average Leak is: Median 1.2, 95th Percentile 15.0 and Maximum 30.0. Last night I put an extra strap across my forehead to try to keep it from moving around in my sleep. My Median leak was 0.0, my 95th Percentile was 9.6 and my Maximum leak was 21.6.

I would appreciate any comments about those numbers.
Do you have ResScan 3.10 and can you download your leak line graph? That would give a much better picture. Your average (median) is excellent but obviously you've got occasional spikes. I'm assuming your Ai numbers are pretty good, i.e. <5?

frh

Post by frh » Sat May 29, 2010 5:34 pm

dtsm wrote:Do you have ResScan 3.10 and can you download your leak line graph? That would give a much better picture. Your average (median) is excellent but obviously you've got occasional spikes. I'm assuming your Ai numbers are pretty good, i.e. <5?
How's this:

Edit: It took a little research to figure out how to post Picasa pictures in the forum. Hopfully they can be seen now.

Last edited by frh on Mon May 31, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 pm

My Ai was usually must less than Hi; in your case it's the opposite....I think that is because the S9 does a better job eliminating the Hi artificacts. Maybe KatieW or others will jump in as they have S9 units.

From you leak line, you can see the spikes. Ideally you like a relatively flat leak line. The flatter the line, the lower your Ai will get.

But again - you're numbers are within acceptable range. So if you feel better, it's working properly. Need some minor tweaking only....