CPAP Cannot be Checked Luggage?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

CPAP Cannot be Checked Luggage?

Post by roster » Mon May 03, 2010 8:14 am

I would never check my CPAP - too precious to me.

But here is someone who thinks you could not check your CPAP if you wanted to:
Nevertheless, someone got the idea that it resembles something dangerous and thus cannot be a part of checked baggage.
http://www.newssun.com/opinion/col-0502-ware-THINKING
Huh?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

LinkC

Re: CPAP Cannot be Checked Luggage?

Post by LinkC » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Laura refers to both her CPAP bag and her laptop as "carryons". Someone needs to teach her that neither are.

You are allowed one carryon and one "personal item". A purse or laptop counts as a personal item. The CPAP doesn't count at all. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to fly...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm

I've yet to fly with my machine. I'd probably take it with me in the cabin. But i think i'd put it under the seat in front of me. I've seen other passenger re-arrange overhead bins and end up knocking out other peoples stuff. I wouldn't want my machine to take that fall.

park_ridge_dave

Post by park_ridge_dave » Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 pm

I must have missed something, but, what does some "nut case" spouting that he has explosives on board have to do with traveling with a CPAP machine?

It must have been a real Sloooooooow news day for her (the author of the article).

And yes, you are all correct, and I did have a guy drop my laptop out of an overhead bin once

Didn't do it any good!

So you can't be too careful with your personal items or your medical equipment either

Cheers,

Dave

Let's be careful out there! Because no matter where you go..... There you are :lol:

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I did fly with my machine and it stayed right with me, didn't even try to put it in the overhead bin. I did put a medical device tag on it. No one even questioned me about it.

rosie

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Mon May 03, 2010 2:34 pm

No one even questioned me about it
have travelled many times - no problems.

Only once in Shanghai, another passenger, American woman - objected that I am allowed to take 2 bags, while she only 1 bag. You cannot please all the people all the time

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 pm

I've only flown twice with my CPAP, both times carried on (at the time heard a medical device could not be counted as a carry on) with a small backpack holding my meds (essential they do not get lost).
Each time someone goes nuts on a flight screaming bomb and then claims it was because of insomnia, or they took sleeping pills, or were just plain manic crazy the rules get changed. I heard that in Canada there are no carry ons, but have no idea of the truth of that. I have a new toy with which to confound the screeners. A DBS Implant which means gentle pat down only, no XRays or wands. An XRay probably would not hurt me, but it might prevent me from ever getting on a plane. LOL! My brain is wired to a battery, everybody knows that brains are computers and that people routinely implant bombs into their subclavian area.
None the less, I would not dare make a joke about any of this coming through screening. Coming back from Maui in January, the agricultural screening was totally new to me. And I so wanted that loaf of banana bread on the flight home.
Mary Z.

countman88

Post by countman88 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Have flown dozens of times within Australia and a few South Pacific flights with my cpap either as checked luggage within my suitcase, or carryon within a backpack. usually stow the backpack in the overhead locker, sometimes under the seat. Have never given it a thought, or had any problems.
KenD
Bris
Machine : Fisher and Paykel HC221
Mask : Breeze Sleepgear Nasal Pillows
Pressure : 11.0
Commenced : 2002

joelrk35

Post by joelrk35 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Just a heads up to those hose heads who are flying for the first time. CPAPs are considered medical devices and are not counted as carry on luggage. Each airline has different requirements on cpaps. Some like Quantas have a form to submit prior to flying. It can be found on their site. Some airlines allow you to use a cpap and have power ports depending on the equipment they fly and where you are sitting. Some supply 110V and some 12v. Other airlines like Hawaiian will not let you use a cpap anytime. When you go through security at an airport you will usually have to open up your cpap carrier. For sanitary reasons, ask the TSA agent nicely to put on clean latex gloves before he handles your equipment and also to use a clean swipe. They are required to do so if asked.

Additional Comments: ClimateLine Heated hose, Sleepyhead software
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
ResMed AirFit F20 Full Face Mask

Hope1952

Post by Hope1952 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Two months ago my husband and I flew from Atlanta to Buenos Aires. We carried both of our cpaps in a carry-on size suitcase on wheels which fit in the overhead bin. That way the cpaps were "double bagged." Going through security in Atlanta, we were required to open the carry-on suitcase and open the cpap bags.

We took a cruise ship out of Buenos Aires and after watching how they handled the luggage, (our friends' luggage ended up being tossed overboard and was later delivered to their stateroom with 3" of saltwater inside the suitcase) we would NEVER check our cpaps on a flight OR on a cruise. It's nice to know for next time that they are not counted as carry-ons.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue May 04, 2010 8:20 am

Hope--

They are not counted as carry-ons as long as they are in a separate bag which contains ONLY medical equipment and supplies. If you stick your toothbrush in with it, it's no longer exempt.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Tue May 04, 2010 12:22 pm

I fly with mine several times a month and I put it in the overhead bin above my seat with the medical tag in view. I know there is a risk it could fall, but it hasn't happened yet and I have found that the medical tag discourages people from moving it. I don't put it on the floor because I have had items that were placed under the seat get wet from liquids spilled by the person in the seat in front of me. Even though there are slight risks to both on board storage options, I would never check it. It seems to me that would just be asking for trouble.

BTW, I flew out of LAX yesterday and security was sooooo slow that people were asking if they were training new agents. They would run one person's items through and then stop. Since I carry a laptop and some electrical equipment in addition to my CPAP, it took a while. They didn't actually do anything different, they just did it more slowly. I think that they may have been being more careful as a result of the Times Square incident. If you are traveling anytime soon, I would suggest leaving extra time for security.

Bill in Sarasota

Post by Bill in Sarasota » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 am

CPAP does not count as a carry on. It is a medical device. So you can have a carry on (suitcase or such) + a personal item (purse, computer bag, etc...) and still take a CPAP. Anyone who objects, just refer them to airline personnel.

You may have to have the CPAP go through additional screening at TSA. A minor hassle... you just open the bag, they swab the CPAP and put the swab through a sensor that detects explosives and such, and then just pack it up and continue on your merry way. The CPAP check at TSA is an on again off again deal, so you might not even have to do that. TSA Pre-check won't necessarily stop the additional screening, so smile, relax, and carry on.

You cannot check a CPAP. The magnetometer that is used on checked baggage will destroy the CPAP programming. So, you gotta carry it on board with you.

I travel the world, and have never had an issue.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am

Bill in Sarasota wrote:You cannot check a CPAP. The magnetometer that is used on checked baggage will destroy the CPAP programming. So, you gotta carry it on board with you.
Did you make that up?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am

Bill in Sarasota wrote:CPAP does not count as a carry on. It is a medical device. So you can have a carry on (suitcase or such) + a personal item (purse, computer bag, etc...) and still take a CPAP. Anyone who objects, just refer them to airline personnel.

You may have to have the CPAP go through additional screening at TSA. A minor hassle... you just open the bag, they swab the CPAP and put the swab through a sensor that detects explosives and such, and then just pack it up and continue on your merry way. The CPAP check at TSA is an on again off again deal, so you might not even have to do that. TSA Pre-check won't necessarily stop the additional screening, so smile, relax, and carry on.

You cannot check a CPAP. The magnetometer that is used on checked baggage will destroy the CPAP programming. So, you gotta carry it on board with you.

I travel the world, and have never had an issue.
Bill...FYI....You are replying to a person that posted in 2010...