Your sleep position - who are you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Who are you ... who who ... who who

Foetus
37%
Log
6%
Yearner
20%
Soldier
16%
Freefaller
10%
Starfish
8%
Falcon
3%

Total votes: 254

DreamStalker

Your sleep position - who are you?

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:24 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm
  • The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.
  • Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.
  • The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.
  • Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.
  • Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.
  • Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.
I'm a combination yearner/freefaller ... I think the personality traits seem to match me to.

I guess the falcon position has yet to catch on with any great significance.
Last edited by DreamStalker on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk

Re: Your sleep position - who are you?

Post by jnk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Foetus/log/freefaller.

Hey, why isn't this a poll? I love polls!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 pm

jnk wrote:Foetus/log/freefaller.

done.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:54 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
jnk wrote:Foetus/log/freefaller.

done.
Thanks, man.

I'm not sure if my personality matches my sleep positions. I don't really know myself that well.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Answered the poll, not sure why, other than wondering if the breakdown of sleepers on this forum is similar to those reported. Since my secondary sleep position indicates I am cynical, I will do my best to live up to it. I want to know the methods used to derive these conclusions, and where the personality type descriptions came from. Years ago I took a Myers Briggs personality assessment and I came out as ENTP. Wondering if my primary and secondary sleep positions and their alleged traits would coincide with my primary and secondary personality types. Oh well.

EDIT: Posted this at 10:37pm while sitting upright in a chair. Last thing I knew till 1:45am when my daughter persisted until she got me to wake up. Hopefully headed for bed, where I will likely get about 3 hrs of tolerable sleep follwed by a couple hours of misery that I can't make myself wake up from.

echo

Post by echo » Sat May 01, 2010 5:37 am

mostly fetus, part starfish. sounds like a bizarre alien creature

ohhhh cpaptalk makes you drowsy, does it kteague? sorry to hear your misadventure in cpaping.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat May 01, 2010 7:07 am

Oh, oh .... I think I'm in trouble. "They" don't list the Falcon position and that was the position I spent most of my life sleeping in. Does that mean I was an Nonentity for most of my life???

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 am

I am feotus, partial yearner, and falcon.

I do the yearner with one leg up.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

mars

Post by mars » Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi All

I have polled as part foetus and part yearner, with a bit of napping thrown in somewhere.

With the cynical bit comes a strong dose of sarcasm, which I am trying to control.

Yeh - right - me control anything

Especially sarcasm.

Have a good one

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 pm

I sleep in the missionary position. None of that fancy, kinky stuff for ME!!!

It wasn't on the poll.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Yeah......none of those positions specifically depict my sleeping position(s) either.
I'm a side-sleeper and my bottom-side arm tucks upward under the corner of my pillow and my top-side arm crosses my chest and my hand rests on the bed. Other than that, my body position is more like the "Log" or "Yearner"......pretty straight. Personality-wise, I'm probably a cross between or combination of those two descriptions, too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Mike sleeps in the same position as you but he had to train himself not to push that bottom hand too far under the pillow as it would dislodge his mask. Those were his Large Leak days! Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm a yearner, but I don't think it is because of what is described I had to be a yearner for years because I used to sleep with both arms in braces, so that was the only comfortable position for me. Now that I no longer wear them, it is still a habit. So I guess I still yearn

Llama

Post by Llama » Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 am

Soldier, pretty much sleep flat on my back 99%+ of the time. I don't stir in my sleep and tend to fall asleep holding my hose and wake up in the same position.

Yeah, I know what I just said.

--Larry
Remember when "Just breathe" was supposed to be easy and calming?

frh

Post by frh » Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 am

I'm confused about my sleep position. I always thought I fall asleep and wake-up on my right side, just an inch or so from the edge of the bed. I have often wondered why I don't fall off of the bed when I sleep. So I chose log.

But my sleep study said I sleep in a Supine position. I guess that means I sleep on my back. My wife says the air from my mask drives her crazy at night. That means I must also be spending some time on my left side.