It's Friday...do we have a "biggest loser"??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
peg

Post by peg » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:24 pm

I have a theory about eating.........
It is a well publicized one. You see it on cards and T-shirts.
Eat dessert first.
Think about it. At most meals dessert is but a small portion of the meal. The main culprit is the entree, bread, potato, veggies etc. So if we eat dessert first we are already satisfied and on our way to feeling full. We won't eat as much of the other stuff.
It's more fun this way also!!
WooHoo! Life is good.
I get a little cocky when I am "NO LONGER TIRED"

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:53 pm

Sleepless on LI wrote:So how did everyone else do? I hope well. I know our Canadian friends may not have done so well this week being that they celebrated their Thanksgiving on this past Monday, so we have to cut them a little slack today. But next Friday, they get no slack from me (LOL).

Have a great weekend, all. Look forward to reading how everyone else did.
Yes...please...cut me a little slack...I actually will get weighed tomorrow morning because today I started a job, and was out the door before anyone in my family was even up...so I couldn't get to the scales. I know I didn't lose...but hopefully stayed the same...we'll see tomorrow.
*** Linda ***

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:18 pm

I gained 28 pounds! You could say, I'm carrying around a spare tire.

No, I mean really, I'm carrying around a spare tire. I'm in the midst of changing my street tires to competition tires for an autocross tomorrow. I haven't a clue what I way as the only scale available to me is a monster that goes to 2400 pounds in 2 lb. increments at my office, and I had the day off! Wonderful, I slept in (until 8:30), took my wife to breakfast, did a bunch of errands and just spent the day with my best friend (my wife).

I'll have to weigh-in on Monday instead.
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:11 am

Yahoooooo ...I stayed the same...I was worried after eating all that food on Monday and the leftovers the next day....I'll try hard next week.

Congratulations to all of you who lost or stayed the same...and good luck next week to those who gained...you can do it
*** Linda ***

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:13 am

lindas88 wrote:Yahoooooo ...I stayed the same...I was worried after eating all that food on Monday and the leftovers the next day....I'll try hard next week.

Congratulations to all of you who lost or stayed the same...and good luck next week to those who gained...you can do it
Way to go! See, you can go off once in awhile and not gain. Good for you!
Did you do what I had suggested and save up for that meal that morning? If not, even better!
L o R i

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:28 am

Sleepless on LI wrote:Did you do what I had suggested and save up for that meal that morning? If not, even better!
That's exactly what I did...I took your advice and it helped...Thanks Lori.
*** Linda ***

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:49 am

lindas88 wrote:
Sleepless on LI wrote:Did you do what I had suggested and save up for that meal that morning? If not, even better!
That's exactly what I did...I took your advice and it helped...Thanks Lori.
L o R i

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

Today will be the start of my diet. Four weeks ago I had my last cigarette. September 17th.

I have no clue about how I will loose weight. Probably the best way would be to eat less. (((Ya think!))). Been thinking about it over the last month and have don't know how. Figure that the best way would be to get up and leave a bit hungry. No fancy diet. No book lessons. I figure that eating less should work.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Dave,
Contrary to what you think, eating less is not the way to lose weight. What you eat and in what portions/when you eat it is very instrumental in losing your weight. This is my way of thinking and so far it's working great for me. My disclaimer is, what works for one person may not work for another, but I think it's a pretty good plan. Here goes:

Try to think of it like your metabolism is an engine that needs to be running in order to burn up the fuel (the calories). If there is no fuel in the tank, the engine stops running. If you want to keep those calories burning, you should try to get used to eating five smaller meals a day. If you can't envision doing that, try to eat three reasonable meals and supplement your eating with two or three snacks of either something like carrots sticks, or cucumber sliced like pickles, or even a cup of yogurt. This way, you keep the engine running. I've learned from a reliable source, too, that two or more servings of calcium/dairy products a day helps in losing weight. I try to have at least that, usually breakfast of a cup of Danon Fruit on the Bottom yogurt and a slice of American cheese later in the day.

Stop the fried and high empty-caloric types of food, and cut down on the red meats. Eat plenty of grilled chicken, turkey burgers and vegetables, drinks lots of water, brown rice. Cut out the processed sugars. Don't drink your calories like soda and other highly sweetened drinks. Cookies, potato chips, chocolate candy, cakes and ice cream should be saved for only when you absolutely have to have them. I truly believe if you deny yourself these things entirely, when you finally do have them, you will blow it completely if you're anything like me. So if I absolutely have to have my favorite cookie after someone in my house brings home a box of them, I have one. Gets the craving out of the way.

Last thing you may really not want to hear is, exercise! Whether it be walking, jogging, riding a bike or doing a workout video, get that heart rate up at least three times a week, for a minimum of 20 minutes at a time. From what I've heard, it takes 20 minutes of an increased heart rate before the body goes into the fat-burning mode. So anything after 20 minutes is a beautiful thing. My favorite is putting on my sneakers and my walkman and going for a walk around my town. Put on your favorite CD, or your iPod, and enjoy the scenery while getting yourself in shape. It's habit-forming.

Congratulations on stopping smoking. One of the best things you've ever done for yourself. Also, congratulations on deciding to get in shape again. I have been active at this since the beginning of July and have dropped two pants sizes and feel wonderful. It does work. Don't give up if you plateau. All of us do hit those brick walls at certain stages, but then we get past them and start to lose again. And remember, the less you have to lose, the harder it gets. But one to two pounds a week averaged out is considered true weight loss and is a great rule of thumb to gauge yourself by.

Good luck! Hope I didn't scare you off. It does get easier as it becomes a way of life for you. Here's to a new healthier you!!!

L o R i

CareS

It's Friday

Post by CareS » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:27 am

Better late than never. My Friday weigh-in took place today (Monday) and I dropped two lbs. This loss made me feel really good because I have been very discouraged lately. Apparently the problem was "bananas". We are allowed to have half a small banana every other day and I was eating a large banana every day and counting it as 2 fruit servings which I am allowed. I am trying to get in my eight glasses of water in addition to herb teas. Night eating is my main problem but working on in and trying to walk one hour a day at a good clip. I am learning lots of weight loss strategies and feel I am now on the right track to reaching my goal weight of 158 lbs. I am thinking of asking my family to sponsor me at one dollar per pound lost. I went to the music store today and saw this fabulous Roland Keyboard that I want. My son has a Rock band and I am thinking he needs a keyboard player..me! Have a really good week everyone. CareS

CareS

It's Friday

Post by CareS » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:54 am

Hi Lori, Just finished reading your excellent advice to DMunsen. I just wanted to add a few things. Be especially careful about how things are prepared with as little oil or fat as possible. Use low or no-fat salad dressings. Eat more chicken and fish but do not eat beef or pork two days in a row. Alternate breakfasts with sugar free cereal one day and a protein like eggs the following day. Apparently you will lose better. Any gooed exchange diet will have the correct portion sizes and it is important to weigh and measure your food particularly your protein servings so that you eat enough otherwise you will be hungry. Eat slowly putting the fork or spoon down after each bite and leave the table when you are 80% full. In twenty minutes the brain will signal that you are full. Frozen grapes make an excellent snack. I really can't add anything more to what you have advised except if you can't do it alone, there is help out there. Find the right kind of help from a qualified dietician or organization. I belonged to a weight-loss support group for years and finally quit because it wasn't working for me although it did work for some people. You have to find what works for you. CareS

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 pm

Great extras, CareS. And congrats on the two lbs. down. You stuck with it and it is starting to pay off again.

And great idea to be the keyboard player in your son's band (if they let you). But you'll probably have to die your hair purple or something along those lines, no?
L o R i

It's Friday

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:05 pm

Lori...If they let me is a good point. They are using my basement for their practice sessions! I will have to think about the purple hair. A few of the guys have no hair. Maybe I will have to shave my head..something to think about. Have a good week and I hope to report in with a loss. CareS

Sleepless on LI

Re: It's Friday

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:14 pm

Anonymous wrote:Lori...If they let me is a good point. They are using my basement for their practice sessions! I will have to think about the purple hair. A few of the guys have no hair. Maybe I will have to shave my head..something to think about. Have a good week and I hope to report in with a loss. CareS
CareS,

If you hair is thick, there may be a weight loss in here if you shave it!!! Hey, just looking on the bright side if that's a prerequisite of joining the band.
L o R i

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm

After 2 weeks of gaining, I finally managed to stay the same last week. A definite improvement!

This therapy WORKS!!! (it just ain't a magic bullet for weight, depression, diabetes, etc.)