ResMed series 8 Escape II noisy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jim Laetare

ResMed series 8 Escape II noisy

Post by Jim Laetare » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am

I started CPAP about two weeks ago and my wife complains that it's noisy and keeps her awake. The noise is the flow from the exhalation port -- the mask is not leaking. My homecare co. has order a comfortgel mask at my request. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference with the series 9 vs. the series 8? Thanks

cflame1

Re: ResMed series 8 Escape II noisy

Post by cflame1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 am

If it's the exhalation port... then you need a different mask because it's the mask that's the problem not the machine.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:26 am

If you've only had your Escape II for 2 weeks, I would suggest to try and exchange it for a data capable cpap, so you can monitor your therapy.

Resmed's S8 AutoSet II, or S9 AutoSet. I had the S8 for 5 months and was quite happy with it, but when the S9 came out, bought the S9 (on-line). It's even quieter, and with the Climate Control I've had no rainout. There are many threads on the S9, as people obtain them.

guest2

Post by guest2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

I started out with the S8 Escape and used it for 3 months with great success. However after finding this forum and doing research on Cpap therapy I decided I wanted a data capable machine so I told my dme that and they exchanged it for the S8 Elite. The therapy does not seem to be different but being able to watch the data has allowed me to tweak my therapy and I am now getting better results.
As far as the noise my wife did notice allot of difference in the machine noise which surprised me. As for the noise you are experiencing I have to agree that the mask causes vent noise. Still being fairly new to this, 8 months in, I have used different masks attempting to find the right ones for me and have noticed a significant difference in the venting noise. I am afraid that you will have to do the same.
The other suggestion I have to help your wife out would be to use some form of white noise in your room to mask the venting noise. I know of one couple who stared using a small humidifier in their room and that has helped him deal with the added machine and mask noise. Another started playing her favorite music, softly, on a timer so that when she falls asleep the music turns off and this has worked for them. As with the Cpap therapy it will take everyone some time to adjust to but it is well worth it. My wife says I am not nearly as "Grumpy" now that I am sleeping better.

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I am on week 2 of my Escape II and find it to be very quiet. Just curious though, why would the DME prescribe this machine if there is a newer version? Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it. All I requested was one that had CFlex and this is what they prescribed. As far as data, don't want to bother. I have been on CPAP for 5 years and am comfortable in knowing that things are well due to the way I feel. I switched to this from a Remstar Pro 2 with all of the data equipment and haven't used it (data) for quite some time. I can tell by the way I feel whether things are working or not, I have my pressure setting down to a science, and know if I feel poorly it is because of a leak or tape coming loose, and not my setting. But none-the-less, did they provide me with an outdated machine?

Jim Laetare

Post by Jim Laetare » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 am

Snoozy, my understanding is that the S9 has only been out a short time so your DME provider may not have it readily available. Mine would have to order it if I need it.