Full face mask with pressure 13 or more

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gilley

Full face mask with pressure 13 or more

Post by Gilley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:37 pm

If you have a full face mask and have a pressure of 13 or more. How are you keeping the mask from having a high leak rate?????
S8 Elite™ II CPAP Machine
Humidaire H4i™ Heated Humidifier
Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear (Backup)
ResScan Version 3.7 Software
This Months Pressure : 15

snoregirl

Re: Full face mask with pressure 13 or more

Post by snoregirl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Get a swift nasal pillow??

NEW YORKER

Post by NEW YORKER » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:08 am

I use a full face mask and my pressure is set on 12. I really dont have too much problems with leaks but on a few occasions I have had leaks. I genrally just adjust the mask but repositioning it or by tighting up the straps. It does become stressful when it happens but I work my way through it. You will too, just give it some time.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:29 am

I use a full face mask with a minimum inhale pressure of 14. It CAN go as high as 23, but typically is around 18-19 in the early morning hours.

I use a F&P 431 most of the time and don't have a big problem with leaks. The mask is fairly tight, but not so tight that I can't handle it.

I also have a Respironics Comfort Gel full face mask that I've used once, but the leak was horrible with that no matter what I did.

I think a lot of it is finding a mask that fits well.

Thomas F.

Post by Thomas F. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Not sure what equipment settings (CPAP OR APAP??) you use but a trick I learned for minimizing leak at high pressure...

I'm using the Quattro FFM and APAP with pressure from 9-15. When I mask up I switch to CPAP mode are run it at 15. Then tighten the mask so it does not leak. Then I switch back to normal APAP 9-15 setting. At some point during the night if the pressure gets to 15 I should not get leaking unless I bump the mask hard at some point.
Had UPPP and Hyoid Advancement Surgery on 10/29/2010.
midline glossectomy surgery using Da vinci robot 2/2014.
Straight CPAP 4.8 pressure

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:57 pm

My pressure was 20 when I first started and it was blowing the FFM right off my face. I ultimately "failed" CPAP and switched to Bi-Pap and the Mirage Liberty mask which works much much better.

PST

Post by PST » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Gilley wrote:If you have a full face mask and have a pressure of 13 or more. How are you keeping the mask from having a high leak rate?????
I use the Quattro at 15 and usually have a low leak rate. One important consideration is fit. The Quattros run large, so people like me who assume they should be an L sometimes find they do best with an M. There is a fitting template on the ResMed website. I also find that cleaning the mask daily helps me keep leaks to a mimimum. That might just be because I have oily skin, but others here have noticed how much oil or moisture can hurt the seal. Using baby shampoo, I concentrate on just the part of the cushion that touches the face, going around it quickly rubbing between thumb and forefinger so it's squeaky clean. A clean Quattro on a clean face just seems to form a good seal. In addition, a new cushion every three or four months helps. Finally, it can be tricky getting optimal adjustment. I find that with straps pretty tight on the bottom, but somewhat loose on top, and careful adjustment of the forehead pad to protect the bridge of my nose, I get a floating kind of fit where the high pressure inside the mask inflates the cushion and presses it to my skin. Trial and error is necessary, but in the end you may find the exact settings that work. Then you have to keep a baseball bat by the bed to discourage any human or feline who might be tempted to mess with perfection.

Gilley

Post by Gilley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks to those who replied. I think I got a good fitting with the medium. I have gotten in the habit of washing and shaving before bed to get a good seal. I will keep working with it. But I went back to the nasal LT mask after fighting for 45 minutes with the FF and slept good. I also notice the FF mask seals better when I turn to the side.
S8 Elite™ II CPAP Machine
Humidaire H4i™ Heated Humidifier
Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear (Backup)
ResScan Version 3.7 Software
This Months Pressure : 15