Just looking for some encouragement

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nittalagh

Just looking for some encouragement

Post by nittalagh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:57 am

Ok, so here's the story. I started my CPAP last Tuesday night. Sleep lab ordered me the Swift FX, but the DME didn't have the XS pillow for it, so they put me on the Swift LT for her instead. That leaked bad, I could only sleep on my back or the headgear would push the nasal pillow out of place. First night no mouth leaks, but after that those started too. So after a couple nights I put on the chin strap. Friday I got my Swift FX and thought I'd be good to go, still wearing the chin strap I got no leaks, and I've had very good AHI numbers. I realized that the mouth leaks were because I had my humidity set too high, I'm used to sleeping in a relatively cool room, heated air made me feel to warm. So after turning the humidifier down I was able to sleep without the chin strap and still not have leaks. After the weekend and not having to use the chin strap I thought I was good to go and I just needed to get to where I was sleeping through the night and not waking up constanly.

But now my right nostril is getting plugged up. When I first go to bed its fine, but I wake up in the middle of the night only being able to breath through my left nostril. I don't understand why it would get plugged up, I don't really feel congested or have a lot of mucus, just can't breath through that nostril. At 2:30 I got out of bed which seemed to open the nostril back up, so I went back to bed, and woke up a couple hours later witht he nostril plugged up again. With the mask off for a little while it opens back up. Shouldn't the pressure actually help keep it open not make it plug up? I thought I'd try a decongestant tonight, any other ideas?

This makes me really frustrated. I thought after the titration at the sleep lab that I would adjust really quickly, I didn't have any problems that night, no mask leaks, no mouth leaks, everything was comfortable. But since I've had the machine at home it seems like every couple nights it's some new problem. I know I'm having way less problems than a lot of people, but I'm still frustrated. Please tell me this will get better? This machine is supposed to make me feel better not more tired, but right now, its just making me feel tired becuase I'm waking up constantly. I'm only 28 years old so I'm going to have this thing for the 40 some odd years, and I'm fine with that if it helps me, I just need to know that I'm going to get used to it. Any words of encouragement for me?

dave21

Re: Just looking for some encouragement

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:22 am

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have the ClimateLine and not the SlimLine hose. Otherwise you're just going to get humidity out of the H5i and not actually better heated air.

Then you should be able to turn the heated humidifier up by using the Climate Control function but the humidity won't rise massively. To address your question as to why you are getting blocked up. I find if I have a cold drink before bedtime, e.g. glass of cold milk from the fridge or orange juice, that that's enough to lower my head temperature just a little to the point where I immediately start getting blocked up / congested.

That coupled with the nasal pillows having a more concentrated flow of air into the nostrils which you're probably not used to yet, will probably make it worse. I still have some nights where I'm congested and I have to go back to a nasal mask where I simply can't use my Swift FX but lately its becoming less the more I use it.

From a comfortability perspective I find the ResMed Activa mask much more comfortable but you do get more mask leaks from this. If I'm congested that's the first thing I'll do is switch back to my Activa mask.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 am

Welcome to the forum. I found that nasal congestion was worse with nasal pillows, and switched to the Activa Lt. It's nice to have a different mask, to give your face a "break".

For congestion, I use Ayr Saline Nasal Spray, and take 1/2 of a Zyrtec before bed, since it's allergy season. Sometimes people get congestion from too much/too little humidity, so you might try adjusting that.

Yes, it will get better! There are lots of little adjustments along the way, just tackle them one at a time. Like life, there's always something.

JStaggie

Post by JStaggie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Actually, it's completely normal for you to breathe using one nostril at a time--it is regular behavior. Through out the day at about 4 hour intervals, a person breathes through alternate nostrils, allowing each side time to recover from the task of hydrating, warming, and filtering incoming air.

Here are additional details:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... at-a-time/

nittalagh

Post by nittalagh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks all. Last night was a much better night. Took some claritin and turned the climate control up a bit, this seemed to help.

JStaggie: Thats really interesting about breathing out of one nostril, it sure felt like it was a problem when I was wearing my nasal pillow mask though . Maybe knowing that its normal, will make it feel like less of a problem.....

btesterman

Post by btesterman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 am

I've had that feeling but think it is not really my nose as much as a problem with the pillows. Have you tried loosening your mask a bit, or sometimes just pulling the pillows away from my nose and then letting them reseat has helped me. It is tricky trying to find the "sweet spot" where the mask/pillows aren't so tight that it makes your nose sore or seems to collapse one of the sides (which makes it feel like your nose is stopped up on that side) and having it too loose where it leaks. There are a few people who seem to take to CPAP like a duck to water but I'd guess the majority of us had a rough first few weeks (or more) getting the hang of it all, our bodies getting used to it etc. I've been on treatment for 2 1/2 mos. and just recently tried some new "adjustments." At some point it just becomes a normal way of life - you may still have some problems but now I don't feel the frustration and stress I did at first. One of the members has a quote, "One night does not a trend make" (or something like that) and if my numbers are high or I've had a mask problem I remember it is just one night. Now, if it continues you may need to find answers. Stay with this forum - you'll learn SO much and the members really do care. We've been there!!! Good luck - keep us up on your progress.