How to remove sleep study goop from hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OaklandR

Re: How to remove sleep study goop from hair

Post by OaklandR » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Mine came out real easy. The tech said it was water soluble so I wiped it of with a wet paper towel after I woke up. After reading other people I am glad it was not a hard glue.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:27 pm

I remember being told not to put the shampoo in right away, that I should rinse with water for a few seconds first. That did not work though. I think it took a couple of days before it was all fully out.

evbirch

Post by evbirch » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:36 pm

A LOT of Pert Plus will do the trick.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 pm

for the transparent goo, comb out what you can first, then stand under shower with hot water and any type of soap, it will eventually disolve warm in water

some sleep places sent people off to work after their overnight studies with the goo still in their hair
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:28 am

I had the green stuff, and I think i was called collodion too. They suggested using shampoo directly on the dried goop first, working it in, then washing it out. Of the three times I've already done it, that method has worked pretty well every time, but it is tedious. Your mileage may vary.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Hot water, shampoo and a cheap plastic lice nit comb from the drug store does the trick in just one try. Use the comb in the shower WITH the hot water and shampoo.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:Hey is the gritty white stuff glue or paste? The gritty stuff cost me a bunch of hair and I had (and have) none to spare so I was pretty upset over losing what little I still have. Us cats hate anything that messes with our fur
LOL

I have so much hair to spare that I just used a fine tooth comb and yanked out whatever came along with the goop : ) I found cool water versus warm helped solidify the goop (paste). The glue was more unpleasant when they applied it but I found it came out easier, with just a comb and shampoo.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:48 pm

OK, let's get down to what really matters here: Am I going to be able to wear a bra during the PSG?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes. Keep in mind they will be placing leads for the ECG and a chest band for the respiratory effort, neither of which should be a problem w/a bra on. The chest band goes over your PJ top, not under. The ECG leads do have to go on your skin. The ones on the left side ribs are always "fun" (sheesh, not ha ha) for me since I am extremely ticklish. I always jump when they place them. Can't help it. Personally, I look forward to FREEDOM from a bra when evening arrives, but then I have COPD.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

pbach

Post by pbach » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 pm

My sleep study tech said one patient said to use hair conditioner.
Works like a charm!
Massage the goop with hair conditioner.
Have a cup of coffee.
Wash and condition hair as normal.

Pix924

Post by Pix924 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 am

I use olive oil, coated the comb with it, works well

WHO ME

Post by WHO ME » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

I was told to go home and wet hair and put a good amount of conditioner in my hair and make sure that I rubbed it into my scalp and then rinse it out and shampoo as usual.

Month on the mask and so much better!!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Just got back from the sleep study. They said some people use that alcohol-based hand sanitizer to help dissolve it. Sounds painful. The newer goop is easier to wash out with shampoo and hot water, but it took me several 'lather, rinse, repeat' cycles.

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for the posts.

Brought back memories of my 1st sleep study 10 years ago.

Lots of goop in my hair.

They released me about 5:30 in the morning. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. (It was the old Nurse's Residence at Victoria Hospital in London.) I looked like an escapee going to get my car! Got some huge stares.

Next time? Took a hat to hide the goop.

Adhesive is either water based (easy--hot water and soap), or solvent based. Solvent based is nasty.

DaveL

Last edited by DaveL on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
DaveL Toronto

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm

DaveL wrote:...Adhesive is either water based (easy--hot water and soap), or solvent based. Solvent based is nasty...
Next time I'll ask and consider wearig a hat to the car..I just went into work with bits of goo ugh ugh ugh. Course I was flying on cloud 9 having gotten the best sleep I'd had in like a decade!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.