How to remove sleep study goop from hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: How to remove sleep study goop from hair

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:43 pm

There are certainly enough suggestions in this post if you take the time to read them. What have you tried?

Last edited by LSAT on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm

The hospital clinic I use, they actually have a special shampoo in the rooms shower to wash that gunk out of your hair. Works well. I'll see if it has a name on it as I have my 3rd study Wednesday. Now remembering to get the blobs of it from behind your ears that's a different story. Lol. I went all day nearly after my last one till someone said what's that big booger behind your ear. Lol unreached back and went oops missed some. Lol.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 pm

I just used nail polish remover when I had mine done. Tried to take a shower but the guy in the other room was let out before me and used up all the hot water after less then a minute the water went from luke warm to freezing so I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair and said the hell with it and went home to take a real shower. The stuff they used on me was more like a hard crusty glue. Though it all came out with the nail polish remover. I washed my hair with that a few times - paying special attention to any of the crusty spots left behind were the sensors were removed. Then washed it a bunch of times with normal shampoo to get rid of the smell and nail polish remover. I survived Wish you luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

STICKY HEAD wrote:I JUST HAD A SLEEP STUDY. NOW, MY LONG HAIR IS FULL OF WHITE GLUE. THIS IS REALLY RIDICULOUS! YOU CAN PUT A MAN ON THE MOON, BUT YOU CAN'T COME UP WITH A BETTER SOLUTION FOR SLEEP STUDY GLUE? I CALL THAT NO PROGRESS!!!
Unless it's a budget sleep center they should remove most of it when removing the wires from you. I've had several studies and they all removed the glue for me - sometimes it smelled fairly toxic so keep that in mind too.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:35 pm

LSAT wrote:There are certainly enough suggestions in this post if you take the time to read them. What have you tried?
Reading a old post, what a waste when you can just ask the answer over, and over and over. Never a reason to read! Jim
Last edited by Goofproof on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sherry.wendlandt@hotmail.com

Post by sherry.wendlandt@hotmail.com » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Mineral Oil Lubricant Laxative: a liquid, I applied all over my head, heated with a hair blower and ran a fine tooth comb thru. I had to do two applications and it took 3 shampoos to remove the mineral oil BUT I am adhesive and itch free. I will adhere to the other suggestion and have a shot of JD just cuz this caused me such stress.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Oil interferes with many adhesives, and is used to dilute solvents.
Regular nail polish remover is part mineral oil, as straight acetone is not good to use in contact with skin.
There may be different formulas in use by sleep labs, and providing a removal product
would NOT be too much to expect, considering the cost of these studies.
HINT, HINT.

Tammy C

Post by Tammy C » Mon May 01, 2017 11:09 pm

I just got all mine out with Beekman 1802 Body Wash and their shampoo and condition . I let body wash sit for 15m then rinsed in hot water. Followed by shampooing and conditioner as normal. No residue to extra scrubbing and my hair is super smooth like nothing happened. The products can be found at evine tv shopping or amazon. Good Luck I used ylang ylang and tuberrose flavor.

Tammy C 2164

Post by Tammy C 2164 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 pm

I just got all mine out with Beekman 1802 Body Wash and their shampoo and condition . I let body wash sit for 15m then rinsed in hot water. Followed by shampooing and conditioner as normal. No residue to extra scrubbing and my hair is super smooth like nothing happened. The products can be found at evine tv shopping or amazon. Good Luck I used ylang ylang and tuberrose flavor.

Faemar

Post by Faemar » Wed May 31, 2017 10:57 am

I recently had a sleep lab test. Best advice, don't wash your hair 5 days prior to test. After test, run a big bristle brush through your hair, run hottest water that you can stand running a comb through hair to loosen goupe in hair, then use conditioner, massage into head, comb through conditioned hair rinse, then follow through with shampoo, and conditioner a second time. Rinse, then while hair is damp, apply a leave in hair conditioner. Mine came out the first washing.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 am

Rubbing alcohol worked well to remove the white paste from my daughters hair. I just put a good amount on a wash cloth then rubbed each spot and it came out with no problem and more importantly no hair loss.

goldieFro

Post by goldieFro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am

Hi I didnt see any replies for black hair so I was a little nervous and thought I'll have to cut it out. So I read the top comments about HOT water which is harsh to color treated hair. Worried I used coconut oil and conditioner on the goop and kind worked it in. And showered with HOT water used my fingers to detangle but didn't have to. It came right out! I hope that helps some one with the kinky curls:)

Onansmom

Post by Onansmom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 am

Dawn dish soap! My tech last night said that for my son and it worked! The time he had an EEG done they didn't tell me jack squat so I had to comb that crap for almost 2 weeks because the gritty crap was STILL there! I have found dawn dish soap is great also conditioner set for 5-10 minutes works as well :D