How to remove sleep study goop from hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gasp

Re: How to remove sleep study goop from hair

Post by gasp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 pm

DaveL wrote:Thanks for the posts.

Brought back memories of my 1st sleep study 10 years ago.

Lots of goop in my hair.

They released me about 5:30 in the morning. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. (It was the old Nurse's Residence at Victoria Hospital in London.) I looked like an escapee going to get my car! Got some huge stares.

Next time? Took a hat to hide the goop.

Adhesive is either water based (easy--hot water and soap), or solvent based. Solvent based is nasty.

DaveL
Now why didn't I think of a hat? Great idea. I laughed imagining you hurrying to the car : )

mkdiann

Post by mkdiann » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 am

Ok, guys, here's the scoop! I just successfully removed great globs of that glue from my long wavy locks 30 minutes ago, not to mention a couple of pieces of cotton gauze!! They told me hot water would dissolve it. My hair ws so tangled that I didn't even try to brush it out. I rinsed my hair in very warm water and searched my scalp for great mounds of glue, while I stayed under the steady stream. When I came across a quantity, I worked it with my fingers, under the water until I felt the most of it was dissolved and gone. Then, I shampooed my hair. You must be careful not to tangle your hair more, so if it is long, use your fingers to massage in a backward direction from the face, working small areas at a time until you reach the nape of the neck. Actually shampooing like this is always good for everyone with longer hair. Rinse the shampoo, then apply some really rich conditioner, like that which is included in most boxes of permanent hair color, like Excellence by L'Oreal. I have a huge stash of tubes of this conditione, as I sometimes use two boxes of color on my hair at a time. Leave the conditioner on your wet hair for at least 3-5 minutes, then add some water and finger comb through your hair in the same direction as I instructed for the shampoo step. If it is a struggle, leave a while longer. Once finger combed, you should be able to rinse the conditioner from your hair and proceed as usual. If you like, you can add another shampoo step here, but I didn't feel it necessary. I don't have much hair as I have thyroid disease, but it is very long, so those with really thick hair may take more time. I hope this helps.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 am

Mine washed out with one shampooing. I never thought twice about it. Why can't they all use the easy out formula?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 am

Think oil spill.... the best thing to use is Dawn dishwashing detergent!! That is what my sleep tech told me to use and she was right!!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed May 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Emilia wrote:Think oil spill....
Yep! Three FEMA workers and a dead seal worked wonders on mine!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 pm

I was advised to shampoo and then use conditioner and it worked perfectly.

jmcanzo

Post by jmcanzo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I do not have enough hair to worry about it! I just washed it off my head. Also the techs said they like bald heads. Easier to mark and apply the leads....

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Emilia wrote:...Dawn dishwashing detergent!! That is what my sleep tech told me to use and she was right!!
Next PSG, I'll try Dawn...thanks! Lost way too much of my hair with that gritty crud...and warm water didn't help one iota.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

kalatraza

Post by kalatraza » Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Vitamin E oil worked really well for me. Just rubbed the oil into the sticky spots/clumps of yuck, gave it a few minutes, shampooed (seriously, how do you spell that?) with a clarifying shampoo a few times, and I was in the clear.

Also works well on medical tape residue.

My itty bitty bottle of Vitamin E oil came from Trader Joe's.

K

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I used margarine to get flypaper out of a cat's fur. Cheap and quick; plus fairly non-toxic. (poor baby!)
I think I used olive oil after my sleep studies--extra virgin, of course.
I did a research paper on adhesives in school; and pretty much discovered that most adhesives are useless around grease.

nervusldy

Post by nervusldy » Fri May 20, 2011 12:36 pm

My sleep tech told me to use Dawn too. It worked great, but I lost most of my perm.

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:
Emilia wrote:...Dawn dishwashing detergent!! That is what my sleep tech told me to use and she was right!!
Next PSG, I'll try Dawn...thanks! Lost way too much of my hair with that gritty crud...and warm water didn't help one iota.
Coconut oil - then lots of shampoo

tbone421998

Post by tbone421998 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 am

My technician didn't tell me anything. I just used Nutragena Shampoo and it came right out. It looks like I got real lucky. I also had a hair cut that morning which probably took off 1 1/2 inches of hair. My hair isn't short but I would say it is medium and full. No worry about going bald anytime soon.
Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro Medium
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Heated Humidifier with ClimateLine
Additional Comments: Resmed S8 Escape II for backup

jammie

Post by jammie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:07 am

pdean44 wrote:Hmm since i keep my hair sort of short it came out with a bit of good scrubbing and shampoo for me.
Me too And the Sleep clinic I went to told me to use dish liquid IT WORKED !! NO GLUE ! I washed with dish liquid and then shampoo abd conditioner as usual . I have very long hair too like almost to my thighs . I used AJAX dish liquid . I put it on my head before I got in shower and rubbed it in let it soak then showered . try that next time it worked completely no glue was left in my hair . Good luck . I am heading to the sleep center again tonight for the CPAP test . uggh but hey maybe I will become that Morning person I used to be in my younger years !!

ThirdOutOfFive

Post by ThirdOutOfFive » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:03 pm

I was told that acetone (as in some nail polish removers) would do the trick. It worked well for me, but I did have to carefully comb some bits out of my hair.