H5i temperature setup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kf10

H5i temperature setup

Post by kf10 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:54 pm

I have been using the H5i for several days now. The water temperature always in room temperature. Do I have to set it up, so it will automatic warm up to certain temperature when I use the S9? By press the setup button 3 second?

Must be a very basic knowledge for lot of people here

fiberfan

Re: H5i temperature setup

Post by fiberfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:28 pm

The water temp will be room temp until the unit has heated the water. If you mean the temp when you start the machine then yes, use the heatup feature if you want to start with warmed air. If you mean the temp during the night, please post which hose you are using and what your humidity settings are.

kf10

Post by kf10 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 pm

I am using the Slimline tube - not climate control.

Can I keep the temperature a little higher than the room temperature and stay that way during the night?

fiberfan

Post by fiberfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 pm

The water temp is controlled by the humidity level setting with the slimline hose. If you increase the level, the water will be warmer so the air will pick up more moisture. I suggest upping the level slowly since too high of a level can cause rainout.

kf10

Post by kf10 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Thank Fiberfan .

When I set it to 2.5, the water level doesn't seem to change at all in the morning. Set to 3, gone down a little bit. It must have to do with the pressure setting and the humidify settings.

Good to know.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:25 pm

kf10 wrote:I am using the Slimline tube - not climate control.
I would highly recommend using the ClimateLine hose with the H5i as it helps reduce rainout. If you didn't get one with the H5i then ask the DME for it as it should come with the ClimateLine hose.

fiberfan

Post by fiberfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:39 pm

dave21 wrote:I would highly recommend using the ClimateLine hose with the H5i as it helps reduce rainout. If you didn't get one with the H5i then ask the DME for it as it should come with the ClimateLine hose.
The ClimateLine hose is optional in the US though my DME said my insurance should pay for it.

AirBreather

Post by AirBreather » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm

kf10 wrote:Thank Fiberfan .

When I set it to 2.5, the water level doesn't seem to change at all in the morning. Set to 3, gone down a little bit. It must have to do with the pressure setting and the humidify settings.

Good to know.
The amount of moisture that will be evaporated into the air depends on several things, including the rate of air-flow over the water, the temperature of the water, the temperature of the incoming air, and the relative-humidity of the incoming air. Incoming air that already is very humid will not absorb much additional moisture from the tank. That may be why the water level in your tank doesn't go down much through the night.

kf10

Post by kf10 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Does the H5i has build-in mechanism detect the level of humidity in the chamber? Or it just adjust the temperature according to the dial setting regardless of the other variables?

The climate control hose seem to have the mechanism. Not sure if the SlimLine would help.

I am using a central humidifier at home, the air is not dry thought the year. Does a Climate Control Hose helps in terms of comfort?
Last edited by kf10 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyelement

Post by nyelement » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

I have the same problem, but when i get up the heater plate is cold..Had the unit replaced and it still does the same thing. First night i used it ,i woke up 2 hours after going to bed because the air felt cold. I checked the heater plate and it was cold too. Whats up with that!!. Using the slimline hose. Need help on this one.............

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

kf10 wrote: Does a Climate Control Hose helps in terms of comfort?
I'd highly recommend it--you can set the air temperature to what you want and the heated hose and humidifier work together to keep the air temperature to what you set it at with 80% humidity. This was one of the main reasons I got the S9.

(yet another Jeff)

Nord

Post by Nord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:18 am

Unfortunately the S9 with SlimLine hose only responds to Relative Humidity and not temperature... so you can't set the temp higher except on the warm up which preheats for a set period of time then shuts down. I have set it up to 6.0 and not got hot air...
I made that mistake with SlimLine when my ClimateLine was on backorder. It can definitely be cold air.

With the ClimateLine... you have a choice:
Auto lets you use the sensors to get the RH correct with guaranteed protection from rainout.
Manual lets you set RH and Temp separately and you can get warm air all the time...

I still think the plate should get warmer with the SlimLine at its' higher settings. Anyone else tried the H5i and SlimLine and got a "hot plate"

Nord

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Dave

I keep getting asked this question and I have not lived in England for 10 years now so i'm not sure on how to answer it?

Where can you buy distilled water in England? Do Tescos have it on the shelf? Do you have to go somewhere likes Boots chemists?

I'm assuming you used distilled water in your tank and know where to get this stuff of course

-Bob

dave21

Post by dave21 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Bob, actually I just use tap water for my humidifier on the S9, or bottled mineral water.

Distilled water is still difficult to get in high street shops in the UK unfortunately. Most supermarkets still don't stock it, the closest you can get is bottled mineral water like Evian, Volvic, Highland Spring etc. I haven't seen it in any pharmacists but maybe the larger ones like Lloyds might have it in the larger shops. Most places (including supermarkets) stock mineral water or deionised water but not distilled water. So if you wanted water for say an iron then you can easily buy deionised water but not distilled water. I'm going shopping today at the supermarket so I'll take a good hard look and see if it's changed much, I tend to usually head straight to the bottled mineral water in the water isle.

The best place to get distilled water from are places like motor stores like Halfords, Uniparts, PartCo or any main car dealer etc. You need to be careful though as a lot of them do sell deionised water and not distilled water as deionised water is usually cheaper and used to top up car batteries and car radiators. Most people think that Deionised water and Distilled water is the same, but there's a difference.
Deionised water
Is water that has been filtered or treated to remove ions. There may be other materials still in the water, but the ions are removed.

Distilled water
Is water boiled and changes to steam, a process known as distillation. When this steam is allowed to cool down and condense into liquid form again, the result is a purified form called distilled water

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:52 am

Checking this supermarket today they didn't even stock any deionised water let alone distilled water.

Last edited by dave21 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.