Newbie question about water in my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
enyrhtak

Newbie question about water in my mask

Post by enyrhtak » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 am

Hello Everyone...I've had my machine for just over a week and wake up about 2-4 hours into the night with water dripping from my mask and feeling like I've just been splashed. I take the mask off shake it out, dry it off and start over but the water is cold and it wakes me up. I dropped the setting on the humidifier down to the lowest setting and it's still happening! Any thoughts or ideas...it's making it real hard to stick with it. I've even woken up in the morning with the mask off because it gets wet and I take it off in my sleep. ARGHHHH....Please help! Thanks in advance!

dave21

Re: Newbie question about water in my mask

Post by dave21 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:27 am

Hi, this is a common problem. The problem happens because the temperature of your room drops throughout the night and touches the tube where the air is warmer and then creates condensation in the tube.

I find one of the best ways to combat what is called rainout where moisture gets into the mask is to ensure I don't drape the hose over the top of the bed. Make sure your CPAP is either same height or lower than you when you lay on the bed and have the tube drape onto the ground.

Also changing the humidifier setting can help or increase the temperature of the room. The other thing is to purchase a hose sleeve to keep the hose warm (like a jumper for the hose).

enyrhtak

Post by enyrhtak » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:34 am

Thanks...I was afraid it was because I like to sleep in a cool room (temperature wise of course ). I have tried some of your suggestions but I think the hose cover might be a good idea, I'm definitely going to try that! Thanks again!

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:11 am

I have my cpap machine on the floor and the humidifier setting at 1. I have very few problems with rain out. My room is cool at night. Some people don't turn the humidifier on and this is called passover, allot of people use hose covers and heated hose covers. Those who use the heated hose covers swear by them and this will eliminate the rain out. I think they are spendy but are well worth it. Good Luck.

rosie

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 am

I also set my machine very close to the floor. I bought a fleece hose cover. I still have moisture issues if i turn up the humidity so i keep that low. I ordered an aussie hose they are around 150.00 basically a heater built into the hose that acts like a defroster eliminating moisture in the hose. Looking forward to getting that soon. You want to keep the hose in a position where the moisture can drain back to the machine rather than your mask.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 am

+1 for keeping the machine low to the floor. I keep mine in my bottom nightstand drawer and have a snugglehose cover. I'm able to run the humidifier between 1/4 and 1/2 with no issues.

-- Douglas Adams

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 am

The problem is called "rainout".....and there are two types: Condensation inside the hose....and condensation inside the mask. Each type of "rainout" has a multitude of "fixes" and all can be found by learning how to "search" on this forum.

You have stumbled into the finest repository of help and knowledge you can find about sleep apnea and the use of CPAP machines to treat the condition. For you to get maximum benefit, it's important that you let us know what sort of equipment you're using.....because there are subtle tweaks and modifications that we can tell you about....provided we know what equipment you have.

This forum is a "special place"....with thousands of nice people....all helping each other toward comfortable success with CPAP. Log in....list your equipment.....start reading.....and you'll learn more than you ever dreamed you could.

You "lucked out" by finding this bunch...........

Gerald

robertjvan

Post by robertjvan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:55 pm

With out really thinking I drape most of the hose under the covers and then it peeks only to connect to the mask I guess most stay wamer that way as I don't have the condensation except in the early AM in the Summer. It's cooler then but it's warmer at night atleast here it is (Catskill mountain of NY), and the tube of left out at night.

have a Fisher & Paykel Icon+ with built in humidifier (not fancy but it works) not sure it's not listed!

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Hello Enyrhtak,

I use a very cozy fleece hose cover made by http://www.padacheek.com. I also have an Aussie heated hose for when the room is VERY cold. (My husband likes his air conditioning turned up in the summer time.)

Wishing you peaceful, restorative sleep,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

Chinook

Post by Chinook » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:32 pm

I just received my machine Feb 8, 10 and have my humidity set at 4 with room temp down to 12c at night. I have not had any water to date, but my wife is nitting me a cover just in case.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Chinook wrote:I just received my machine Feb 8, 10 and have my humidity set at 4 with room temp down to 12c at night. I have not had any water to date, but my wife is nitting me a cover just in case.
Hey everybody... Post number one from Chinook! Welcome to the forum!

It's sometimes amazing what you can find knitted:

And now a much more practical cover. A knitted hose cover. And frankly, that sounds like a great idea.

And I hope you find a helpful place here as you continue to adjust to using CPAP! Best wishes as you continue this odd journey!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

enyrhtak

Post by enyrhtak » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I've formally registered and now my equipment is all listed so I hope that helps people who are willilng to help me!

Melinda

Post by Melinda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 am

Hi Enyrhtak,
I use to run my humidifier dry, and have since been told I'm running it too warm.
It was nice air though, but like yourself I would get rainout.
I'd wake up with the water gurgling in the tube, due to the bend from cpap to the bed.
A tube cover will fix allot of this, and is cheap to purchase.
In the end, with my S8, I ran it without the humidifer and just got use to the air.
I have since moved to a S9 where the heated tube totally eliminates this issue.

Mel.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:57 am

enyrhtak wrote:... I've formally registered and now my equipment is all listed so I hope that helps people who are willilng to help me! ...
Uh, I hate to rock the boat, since you made that effort, but you probably selected the wrong "machine". You have:
Machine: REMstar Pro 2 C-Flex CPAP Machine
Mask: ComfortGel Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: The manuals say C-Flex + but the machine says A-Flex
You will want to select the machine that starts with "PR". It's the last of the PR units. It reads something like "PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP with C-Flex Plus".

The machine you have listed is a much older unit.

We've chatted with Johnny Goodman (the owner of CPAP.com and who sponsors CPAPtalk.com) about using pictures in the machine registration process to help avoid this type of confusion. And it's NOT on your part. Respironics keeps reusing the same names over and over and over. It's very easy to have that add to the confusion.

Anyway, welcome and hope you are able to get questions to your answers here ... or is that answers to your questions? Ah, well... Welcome!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński