S9 - How to fix a corrupted S9 data card

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dave21

Re: S9 - How to fix a corrupted S9 data card

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 am

I've been carrying out some tests with 16gb SD card in the past week and it's still only keeping 8 days worth of high resolution data on the card. Looks like it's been hard coded into the firmware of the device to only keep 8 days

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:41 am

dave21 wrote:I've been carrying out some tests with 16gb SD card in the past week and it's still only keeping 8 days worth of high resolution data on the card. Looks like it's been hard coded into the firmware of the device to only keep 8 days
That means it's in the firmware of the S9, and because it has to go through various expensive approvals as a medical device in numerous countries, a firmware upgrade is unlikely to happen for us since the issue is does not endanger anyone's health. However the data deletion from the hard-drive is certainly something that could be addressed immediately, since it's a housekeeping issue with a valid HIPAA concern.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Yeah I was really hoping they were going by percentages and if you inserted a larger card it would retain more data. I guess they went with the hard coded approach to ensure they get correct results.

bigk

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:25 pm

dave21 wrote:Yeah I was really hoping they were going by percentages and if you inserted a larger card it would retain more data. I guess they went with the hard coded approach to ensure they get correct results.
That really would have been nice if they did that.

I have never lost any data in Resscan whether or not I select the overwrite or disguard duplicate data - this may be different in the S9 - dunno. I have over 2 years of summary and detailed data from an S8 with never a problem. I should have my S9 in a few days anyway and will be able to have a play.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

DreamDiver wrote:I suspect the same. I haven't reached 30 days yet, but I'm wondering if when we get to 30 days and click download all/overwrite existing, all 'detailed' data would also disappear from the patient record in ResScan 3.10 past 30 days.

Again - this seems like folly. What if you happen to hit that combination by mistake in a clinical setting, but you really needed that data from last year to compare with this year? You would be out of luck big time.
It seems to me that a lot of people here are making huge assumptions on very little real information.

1. You can simply copy your patinet file(s) to another directory whenever you want.

2. You can point ResScan to a patient file(s) on any directory that your computer can see, including one on a network connected drive.

Given both of those facts, you can make copy of your patient file(s) to another location, and play around with all the download settings to your hearts content to see what they actually do, with the knowledge you can go back to where you started on the day by just recopying the patinet file(s) back to its normal location.

Like Big K, having used ResScan for several years now in a straightforward way (that is, not trying to second guess what the user prompts tell me), I have never had it lose any data that I have saved.

Cheers,

Bill

gpk111

Post by gpk111 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 am

I really appreciate the logic, courtesy and insight on this forum. Thanks, gentlemen, for all the contributions.

I'm new here (and a new S9 user), but resonably trained in the sciences, so I appreciate the catch up. A few additions to the discussion:
1. ResScan is a nice piece of software. Graphics are well done. Almost fun!

2. What's the difference between "detailed" data (30 days) and "high res" data (7 days)?

3. The discussion implied that you have to read the card every 7 days or you lose the "high res" data. Seems laborious. Normal for CPAP equipment?

4. It's good to hear that ResScan, per Bill Bolton (also thanks for the PM, Bill), has a logical and intuitive file and back up structure. That certainly can't be said for much of the software out there. Quicken is a case in point. If you don't use the menus, forget about it!

5. Having recited the above, I also submit that my data is totally screwed up. I have only used the S9 and ResScan for 7 days now, so I attribute my data mess to operator error, but I'm wonderig....

6. The overwrite prompts in ResScan seemed suspect, so I went going back to the original file structure on the SD cards to see what I'm downloading. I'm using multiple clean SD cards and carefully back up the data (while the card is "locked") onto a seperate back up directory for each day to keep ResScan from screwing up my data if I answer a prompt incorrectly.

7. I am assuming that the thoughtful "corrupted data fix" applies to rejuvanating a single card, but as long as a clean card is available, there is no dependency on an older card.

8. Judging by the time stamp, the S9 was writing the prior nights high res files (I assume the ~ 3MB files are the high res files?) onto the SD card as soon as I shut it off in the morning. It does not wait until noon. So far so good. I then inserted a brand new card and made sure it was initialized by the S9 (ithey call it "erase"). I even checked the file structure after the initialization before plugging it back into the S9. I discovered two days later that the high res file was never written (the compliance files were, however). I wonder if the S9 firmware looks for the prior day's detailed data before it writes the next day ...or it has a bug? ..or the operator needs addtional training?

9. Resigned that I lost 2 days of high res and detailed data, I then inserted another clean (and "erased") card, which I will try tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

10. Status as of tonight:
- Card 1 with 2 days of partial data from setting up and 3 days of detailed and compliance data, correctly written by the S9
- Card 2 with 2 days of compliance data, but with no details transferred by the S9
- Card 3 in slot waiting for me to "sleep on it"

The data from each card is backed up in its own separate folder

11. In order to consolidate the data under ResScan, I found I have to load the data onto an SD card in order to "import" it. No way to consolidate the data from the back up directories.

Thoughts welcome and solicited!

GPK111 (Gerry, the apprentice)

Gerry in Florida

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:36 am

Gerry - did you have the card plugged into the S9 during the whole time or did you only plug it in after the 2 days? (asking about the second card here)?

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

gpk111

Post by gpk111 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 am

BigK,
Good question. The card was plugged in the entire time.

I guess I was puzzled by the way the S9 handles the transfer of data to the SD card. I still am.

Here is some new news on that subject as of this morning:
1. The S9 succesfully wrote last nights detail file onto the clean card. It did this immediately after turning it off in the morning and only lasts nights data was written.
2. It also wrote ALL of the summary data onto that card (7 days in my case). Not sure when, though, since I don't know the file suffix for the summary data.
3. All this was checked by examining the locked SD card and also with ResScan by creating a number of dummy patients.

So ALL historical summary data is always written onto a clean card, but hi-res data is only written once onto a card, even though it's stored for 7 days. Since I don't know what the "30 day" data consists of, I can't comment on it. Remaining questions:
1. What is the "30 day" detail data, what is its file suffix, and when is it written to a card?
2. Is there any way to write the hi-res data (~3 MB per day) to a new card, since 7 days of it is allegedly still in the S9? I'm panicking, since I'd like to capture the detailed data from 4 days ago which is about to be overwitten.
3. Does anyone know the suffix for the summary files?

Thanks much

Gerry

Gerry in Florida

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:57 pm

The detailed data is in files with a .rlk extension. (One file per day) The file name is of the format yyyymmdd.rlk The summary data is in a file called summary.dat

This is for the S8 in Resscan 3.10 and I would think the S9 would be the same.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

BigAn

Post by BigAn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello all, I'm just gonna jump in here and relate my situation, hope I'm not out of place. Started using my S9 2 nights ago, took it to work with me as I was determined to locate software and see what exactly was on the SD card. Thanks to post from from either dave21 or diver of very awesome flows for sparking my curiosity. Loaded the software (thanks to member for help locating URL for SW) on my laptop with Win7 OS and inserted the SD card to the on board card reader. Nothing was transferred as I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot computer. When I reinserted SD card to S9 it was corrupted. Not having had a spare SD card I erased it with the S9 when I got home and I guess I'm starting from scratch.

If asked, my story to the MD in six weeks is that I noticed the SD card was not inserted all the way on night 3. I am hoping that nights 1 & 2 are rewritten to the card but if I understood what I read in the above post's that is not gonna happen. I sure would appreciate if someone could PM me a tutorial on how to use the Rescan 3.1 to get info off the SD card. I will definitely lock the card tomorrow before inserting into my laptop, however I was wondering if this setup is compatible (Windows 7 with on board card reader) I have the software manual but have not had time to read it entirely.

Thanks for a great topic, and hope to be able to provide some useful information as i join you all on this journey with the S9, by the way I was able to get >8 hours of sleep both nights 1 & 2 and had dreams like a baby for the first time in several years. I'm loving the S9.

Sweet Dreams ,
Big A

gpk111

Post by gpk111 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Trial balloon recap. Open questions in red.
1. Data comes in three levels

- Compliance and therapy data - (usage, AHI, pressure, and leak). Stored in machine for 365 nights. All stored data written to SD card whenever clean SD card is inserted. In DATALOG folder. Unknown extension.

- Detailed data. 30 days maximum. Written to SD card daily, lost if no SD card in slot. Unknown location and specifications. Write trigger to SD card unknown. DreamDiver commented on this data type, but I didn't understand it.

- Hi res data - written to SD card daily. Daily data lost if no SD card in slot. In DATALOG folder. The file has an .EDF extension and starts with YYYYMMDD followed by 11 other characters. It's the largest file and runs 2-3 MB per night. Write trigger to SD card seems to be when the S9 is turned off in the morning (pushing the left round button once). Once the file is written, it will not be written again. After 7 days, card must be read offline to preserve hig res data.

2. SD card can not be changed in any way if you want to plug it back in, so lock it first. If corrupted, recovery method is documented by Dave21.

3. SD card data can be backed up directly, but if you do that, the only way to read it in ResScan is to load it onto an SD card first. I've been backing up my entire SD card every day or so in a separate folder so I can see what evolves.

4. Patient Data can be found on ResScan in TOOLS - PATIENT MANAGER. The patient files can be backed up directly and reinserted into that patient folder.

Does that sound about right?

Gerry

Gerry in Florida

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm

bigk wrote:The detailed data is in files with a .rlk extension. (One file per day) The file name is of the format yyyymmdd.rlk The summary data is in a file called summary.dat

This is for the S8 in Resscan 3.10 and I would think the S9 would be the same.
I think that answers 2 of your questions no?

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:53 pm

gpk111 wrote:- Detailed data. 30 days maximum. Written to SD card daily, lost if no SD card in slot. Unknown location and specifications. Write trigger to SD card unknown. DreamDiver commented on this data type, but I didn't understand it.
Detailed data contains:

AHI and HI
APnea or Hypopnea events per second
Flow Limitation
Flow l/m
Leak l/sec
minute ventilation l/min
pressure
pulse (if oximeter)
snore
oxygen sat (if oximeter)
Usage

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

gpk111

Post by gpk111 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 am

BigK,
Saw your earlier note, but the extensions for the S9 are different than that of your S8. Thanks for the layout of the detailed data format. Still on a learning curve to try to get my head around differentiating the "detailed" from the "hi-res" format for the S9. I wonder if that's different between the two models.

Gerry

Gerry in Florida

bigk

Post by bigk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:32 am

I think the detailed data on the S8 is like if you had a Reslink on the S8 - it's breath by breath graphs you can get in Resscan.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose