Will I have to shave my beard?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bvburnes

Will I have to shave my beard?

Post by bvburnes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 am

Hello,

I am a pre-newbie. I've had a sleep study, and been called back in for a "CPAP Titration" study (Which I assume means I will end up on a CPAP machine). I wonder...I've seen conflicting information, so I wonder what your take is on getting an effective seal with the mask if I wear a beard.

I've worn a beard the better part of 20 years now, and I think I may just look funny without one Of course if I need to, I will shave it!

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Brett

Craig P

Re: Will I have to shave my beard?

Post by Craig P » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am

It all depends on the type of mask you need to make it work for you. If you can tolerate a nasal pillow mask then you should be able to keep your beard. If you are someone that must have a FFM (full face mask) then the beard may have to go. I have a moustache, have had some form of facial hair over the years and use nasal pillows.

There will be plenty of others on this board with facial hair and will be able to le tyou know how things work for them. If you must sacrifice the beard for your well being then it will be a small sacrifice.

In looking back I know my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he suffered greatly for it. I WILL NOT go through that. Using a cpap is easy compared to that.

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

I use the Activa LT nasal mask (over the nose, not pillows) and have no problems with my beard. I use a full face mask when congested, and did have some trouble finding a mask that I could get a good seal with my beard--what I use for that is the ComfortGel Full Face, but I do have to keep it pretty tight to get a good seal, so I only wear it when needed.

(yet another Jeff)

LinkC

*Re: Will I have to shave my beard?

Post by LinkC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

Looking at your pics, I'd recommend you ALL lose the hairy faces!!! Or wear your masks 24/7!

(Notice the * in the Subject indicating humor...)

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

grady61

Post by grady61 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:41 am

full beard trimmed comparable to yours I guess and doing fine with a liberty. Prolly depends on the individual if you can use nasal pillows no reason to at all Id say.

slibhart

Post by slibhart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I have a beard and a full face mask....no challenges. I do keep the beard trimmed short though

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 pm

I am battling the same thought. I have a beard, but keep it short.

I could not get used to the nasal masks and been using a ResMed Ultra Full Face mask. I do get some leakage with it but hopfully it will work out. I really like the Full Face mask better. Some nights my nose clogs up for a while and I just breath through my mouth until my nose clears.

Also with a nasal only mask my cheeks puff up like a squirrel with several nuts in its mouth.

I guess I could shave the beard,

If I can't get my AHI any lower I may shave and try it for a couple of weeks.

Tom...........
Tom...........

mattman

Post by mattman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I have a full beard/moustache and wear a Comfort Gel with no problems. I've also worn a Swift/Swift LT from time to time with no issues either.
Machine: REMstar Pro 2 C-Flex CPAP Machine
Masks: 1) ComfortGel Mask with Headgear
2) ComfortSelect Mask with Headgear
3) Swift
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Humidifier

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi bvburnes

No I don't have a beard but I have a friend who has one. I was wondering what kind if mask he uses, I ask him and he was able to tell me he uses a nasal mask ( I imagine he is using an Activa) . By his answer I think he dont' understand much about masks and machines but what is important is that he has no problem at all with his nasal mask and his big mustache. He is using it since 3 years I think and is doing well.

If you are able to use the mask closed to your nose instead of leaning agaisnt the uper lip your beard will be safe, you will not looks funny Because thank God I don't have a beard I use the Activa leaning more over my lip because other way I feel it botters my nose, but that's me the delicate one.

Good luck

Last edited by rosacer on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:17 pm

I have a short, modern vandyke-style beard, and I wear the zzz full-face, ultra-mirage full face, and hybrid masks all without problems. My zzz mask has no large leaks most nights. Don't expect to grow a santa-sized bushy beard and use the machine - but a short, well-cropped beard is perfectly manageable.

Be sure to get a FULLY data capable AUTO, preferrably one of the latest S9 Autoset or System One Auto. They also both come in BiPAP flavor as well.

Welcome and good luck with your new therapy.

barry15

Post by barry15 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:18 pm

I have used nasal pillows, a nasal mask, and a Quattro full face mask with my beard, and all have worked fine. By all means, give it a try.

Barry

tweed

Post by tweed » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 am

hi i have been using my machine for 22 nights now. i have a full getting longer beard and i use the Swift FX. (nasal pillow)

the first couple times that i used it it was a little to tight and made my nose a bit sore. i starte loosening it one click at a time
and now it is like i am not even wearing it. i do not think i could wear a nose cup or a full face mask... good luck with it and dont shave off the beard...

bvburnes

Post by bvburnes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. Sounds like there's definitely hope that I can keep my beard if I find the right mask. Of course as Craig said, better to be beardless and breathing!

-Brett

28ovr5df

Post by 28ovr5df » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:11 pm

keep the beard short and you can use a full face mask, been doing it for 10 months. i use a F/P

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Beard?

Superman? No.
Spider man? No.
Batman? No.
Captain Picard? No.
Captain America? No.
Mister Incredible? No.
Wolverine? Yes.
Better chance for a perfect seal on most masks? No.

Depends on the pressure, mask and how you sleep.