REM Sleep logging

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Melinda

REM Sleep logging

Post by Melinda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 am

When I went for my sleep study, they where able to report on when and how long I was in different stages of REM sleep.
How do they do this? and I can I do this also at home?

dave21

Re: REM Sleep logging

Post by dave21 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 am

It's not something you can reliably do yourself at home. When you have a sleep study you usually have a number of computers wired up to you including a pulse and oxygen monitor. You also (in most cases) are video'd as a backup to show which stage of sleep you are in for confirmation. I don't believe it will be easily to do at home unless you have all the right technology including access to your machines data. We can take a rough guess at breathing patterns to suggestively hint at which stage of sleep we're in looking at the machine waves but it's not definitive.

JStaggie

Post by JStaggie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

They were able to determine your sleep stages (e.g. time in REM) because they were conducting both an EEG and usually use a sensor to also track eye movement. Their is really no way to obtain the data needed to do similar reporting in the home environment.

unadog

Post by unadog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:33 pm

I think the Zeo Sleep Coach is supposed to report on REM sleep. About $250. There is a lonmgish thread on it here somewhere.

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeo-ZEOBP01-Perso ... 177&sr=8-1

Add a recording oximeter and you will look like you are still in the sleep lab!

I wouldn't mind playing with those 2 things, but first need to get the xPAP machine I need. Money better spent there right now.

Michael
VPAP ASV: BiPaP ASV: Quattro FF: Activa LT: Swift FX