Resmed: Suggestions for improving the S9 range

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dsm

Resmed: Suggestions for improving the S9 range

Post by dsm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Thought I'd start this thread to get a list of the things that S9 users feel could be fixed or improved on in the S9. I have no idea as to if the suggestions will make a difference but think it is worth the try. I am also willing to harvest a list of them & pass them on to the designers here in Australia. Their Bella Vista office is about 10 kms from where I work at Silverwater & if it provides me with an opportunity to visit & meet any of them there I'll grab it. I have been there once before to swap 2 x S8 Escape after their general recall but that is the only visit to Resmed The Bella Vista site was still being condstructed at that time. I have also visited Respironics Australian offices at Alexandria (Mayo Healthcare Australia).

So to kick this list off I'll add a couple of items that are more wishlist than improvements to the current machines, but worth the asking

1) When can we expect to see S9 bilevels ?

2) Is it realistic to expect some form of Periodic Breathing control to be added to ant future S9 machine ?

DSM

PS I know already there are comments re the confusing menus & the buttons - let em roll !
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Uncle_Bob

Re: Resmed: Suggestions for improving the S9 range

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

* Silent buttons as on the S8
* Have the screen turn off a few seconds after i turn the machine off, so if i get up early i do not leave an illuminated room for my wife.
* Re-design to menus and get rid of the 3 tiers (standard, clinical and advanced).
* Get rid of the dial, it could easily get damaged during travel and whats that sound when your turn it faster, sounds like it could be easily broken. Also it makes a grinding sound if you turn it too fast, doesn't sound good at all.
* longer (8 foot) climaline hoses
* The humidifier tank that you can take apart should come as standard (not a design thing really)
* hose connector would be more useful on top and it should swivel allowing more flexibility.
* The humidifier tank cover and slide button are much more fiddly than on the S8.
* What happened to "Leak Alert" that was on the S8 i can't find it and used to find it very helpful when i started out.
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Additional items I would like to see

* No alarm now if you have too much leak rate, e.g. if the mask isn't connected correctly you would get an audible alarm
* The bag is nice, but as the tube socket sticks out a lot I'm concerned it might get damaged when in the bag, would be good to be able to connect the H5i to the S9 whilst in the bag to prevent damage
* No handle I guess is a good move but I always carried the S8 by the handle and without a handle on the S9 I'm concerned I might drop it
* H5i button needs to be reworked, the amount of times I open that one handed and can't then open the lid to remove the water reservoir

I also agree about the dial, the dial is nice but they're selling this as "like a mobile phone" in the marketing material so it would probably have been better to have an up and a down button. Less likely to break.

The lights on the LCD and also in the H5i don't bother me that much they seem to go off fairly quickly.

bigk

Post by bigk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:04 am

I've ordered one of these but it does look "tinny" and less robust than the S8. I'm not planning on travelling with it.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:54 am

bigk wrote:I've ordered one of these but it does look "tinny" and less robust than the S8. I'm not planning on travelling with it.

You & me both

Travel is what the S8 was expert at.

DSM

dave21

Post by dave21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:04 am

I've done a lot of traveling with the S9 already. Here's my comments...

S8
* I would pack the S8 into the small zip bag and unvelcro that from the blue laptop bag
* I would place this bag into my roller overnight suitcase
* I would put the hoses and mask loosely in my roller bag at the top of the case so they didn't get crushed when I put it on the wheels
* I would never take the humidifer with me

S9
* I now use the Humidifier more so having both the S9 and the humidifer in my roller overnight suitcase isn't an option now for me
* I have to use the black laptop style bag to put both in
* I place this on top of my roller bag so I don't have to carry it
* It does mean when I'm having to go up stairs I then have to lift both the roller bag and the S9 bag plus the rucksack I have on my back carrying a heavy laptop

I would agree that the S9 isn't as portable, it's slightly larger than the S8 in various dimensions. If I did choose to leave the humidifer at home and can place it in my roller suitcase then I would still be able to keep to one bag which would make life easier.

Unfortunately I'm getting used to how much better the H5i is and not sure if I can ween myself off the H5i when traveling. For one night or two it will probably be okay but for longer than that I don't think I'd like it.

That said, I still like the S9 over the S8. I might just keep my S8 as a travel machine as I have to frequently stay over in a hotel for at least 1 or 2 nights a week.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:56 pm

dave21 wrote: * I would never take the humidifer with me
Oh you would regret that if you ever came to Arizona

I have an S8 Auto with a H4i humidifier, that's a perfect travel setup IMO.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:06 pm

As mentioned by a few members (AZ etc: )

Humidifier lid hinge. Can pop off if opened a bit too far & is fiddly to get back on.

DSM (courtesy of AZ)

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:47 pm

I'd go back to having a range of mask fit responses... the S8s have 5 possibilities from 1 star "adjust mask" up to 5 star "excellent fit"--the S9 is just a binary response of a happy face or sad face. It seems to insult the intelligence of the patient that they can only understand the 2 icons , and doesn't give you an idea of how well the mask fits even if in the acceptable range.

(yet another Jeff)

bigk

Post by bigk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:51 am

I travel with my S8 and will use the S9 at home. I would never take the S8 as anything other than hand luggage so I always use the supplied carry bag - it fits the humidifier and S8 and heated hose and mask in the one bag and it'd never at the mercy of anyone else.

I am not talking about SIZE at all - if I travelled with the S9 - I'd still take it as hand luggage. I do think the S9 humidifier looks flimsy.

To be honest, I have never paid the slightest attention to the star ratings - I only ever consider the leak value good if I like the numbers in Resscan. I don't even look at the stars.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

I have extracted all the suggestions made here & plan to phone Resmed to ask if I can either talk to an S9 designer or get in email contact with one. I am interested to see if this approach will make any headway.

I hope to also learn a bit about the SpO2 unit that works with the S9 SpO2 adapter. I am assuming it is the same SpO2 unit (Nonin 3012) that I now know works with the S8 Reslink.

Will post back in this thread as to what transpires.

Cheers & thanks

DSM

bigk

Post by bigk » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Now I actually have one of these in my hands, I am certain it's not as robust and well built as the S8 which is a shame.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 pm

DOWN w/those INSULTING and assinine smiley faces!!!! They could at least pretend they credit us w/some intelligence. Give us back our stars.

I just spoke to our local Resmed Rep the other day. I was surprised to learn that he expects an S9 VPAP Auto to be available w/in months - NOT the year or more I assumed.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

JStaggie

Post by JStaggie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:04 am

Oh for heaven's sake, so far as I'm concerned the smiley face is fine. I only care if the mask fits adequately. Beyond that I can check the leak rate to determine if I have fit issues while sleeping. For the majority of users, I'd suggest that the 5-point scale of mask fit likely proved confusing and less than helpful.

bigk

Post by bigk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

JStaggie wrote:Oh for heaven's sake, so far as I'm concerned the smiley face is fine. I only care if the mask fits adequately. Beyond that I can check the leak rate to determine if I have fit issues while sleeping. For the majority of users, I'd suggest that the 5-point scale of mask fit likely proved confusing and less than helpful.
+1

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Activa Nasal Mask
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
Aussie Heated Hose