Is it really necessary to clean tubing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
John From RI

Is it really necessary to clean tubing?

Post by John From RI » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 am

I rarely clean my tube (the long one from the machine to the mask). Could this cause problems? I use the same tube for years and rinse it out maybe once a month.

roster

Re: Is it really necessary to clean tubing?

Post by roster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 am

I think it has been three years since my hose has been cleaned. I would not rinse it out once per month for concern that the rinse water would introduce contaminants.

The hose ends do get dirty on the outside where hands touch them, so I clean them infrequently.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:25 am

Same here, I think I've rinsed my hose around twice in 5 years. I know the manufacturers suggest you should rinse it weekly otherwise things like bacteria could build up but I've never really had any problems.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 am

Ditto here too. I actually buy new ones more than I clean them.

rosie

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am

Months and months go by...I might rinse it out once a year. Have had no problems.

For many pro/con opinions:

Cleaning CPAP Equipment
topic started by forumadmin - April 2005
viewtopic.php?p=18245#p18245

More-Sterile/Easier-Cleaning Process?
topic started by bozmon - February 2005
viewtopic.php?p=7811#p7811

Cleaned my mask now it leaks
topic started by gerrys - June 2007
viewtopic.php?p=184829#p184829

Cleaning water tank
topic started by seernst - June 2008
viewtopic.php?p=275976#p275976

Weekly Mask Cleaning---OverKill ???
topic started by DannyP - August 2008
viewtopic.php?p=293520#p293520

THE HOSE - TO DISINFECT OR NOT TO DISINFECT ?
topic started by Marietjie - March 2009
viewtopic.php?p=352004#p352004

How often do you clean your hose?
topic started by Juliebove - April 2009
viewtopic.php?p=361594#p361594

Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Tank?
poll started by NeedSomeAir - September 2009
viewtopic.php?p=405431#p405431
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:16 am

I use a few drops of Ivory Liquid dishwashing detergent in the tube, rinse with hot water. Rinse several times and hang in the bathroom to dry - do this every Sunday. I also use a vinegar and water solution every week to clean out my humidifier. These were the instructions from the DME and so I am following them. I also get sinus infections easily and so I have to be really careful.

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:27 pm

I also rarely / never clean my hose. That being said, I have used water in the hose to see if there are leaks. And every now and then when I travel they will pick up the awful smell of room deoderizers that hotels use. I will wash the hose after that.

Jersey Girl, the good news is that you may find that with CPAP you will have fewer sinus infections. By having an open airway you may have better chance to clear gunk from your sinuses. Lots of folks here experience improved respiratory health after they start using xPAP therapy.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks John! I am indeed hoping for less, or better yet, no sinus infections. I do notice that my sinuses feel much better each morning after they have had the nice warm humidity every night. I usually put my humidifier on 2 or 2 1/2 and it really seems to help. I've been on cpap since Jan 8 and I did have one cold, but it was very short lived - just 3 days, and did not advance in its usual way to sinus infection. Additionally, I have much more energy than I used to. That old feeling of fatigue is gone. My husband is taking a nap right now - and I don't need one!

With warm Regards,

Deb (Jersey Girl)

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

ifrimmel

Post by ifrimmel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:58 pm

When I first started I was really careful to wash EVERYTHING EVERYDAY. I used Joy! ( needed some at that point ) - figured if it good enough for the dishes its good enough for the mask and hose etc .. I could smell it the WHOLE night. Seems the silicon REALLY sucks up the smelly part of the stuff!! ( guess since they are all derived from a Petro Chemical process they all want to be like what they were in the ground - back together - it's meant to be a joke - I'm not a chemical engineer )

I've been following your " advise " about not being so pedantic about cleaning hoses and humidifiers .. and the results have been really good. I like "the way" my CPAP smells .

I didn't clean my mask for a few days .. I've got some Zits to show for it on my forehead and on my cheaks - and I NEVER get zits - I'll go back to cleaning the mask with wipes everyday.

ALL in all good times !!

tx
Ivan.

ifrimmel

Post by ifrimmel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:Thanks John! I am indeed hoping for less, or better yet, no sinus infections. I do notice that my sinuses feel much better each morning after they have had the nice warm humidity every night. I usually put my humidifier on 2 or 2 1/2 and it really seems to help. I've been on cpap since Jan 8 and I did have one cold, but it was very short lived - just 3 days, and did not advance in its usual way to sinus infection. Additionally, I have much more energy than I used to. That old feeling of fatigue is gone. My husband is taking a nap right now - and I don't need one!

With warm Regards,

Deb (Jersey Girl)
Furnace filter - every 4 weeks ! I have had such a HUGE problem getting used to the air here in Atlanta - especially with the 2 dogs and the floods. It makes a HUGE difference to my nasal stuffiness and Asthma. The general air quality in a centrally heated/cooled house is VERY POOR. I have a window cracked open at all times in my room to get new fresh air. These 2 things have help ALOT. Energy bills are not great.. but.. it's made a difference.. so I'll stick to it.

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:57 pm

The jury is out for me on hose cleaning. Washing with soap is more about removal of dirt than about sanitizing, although very hot water will help. I'm thinking the DME instructions around equipment cleaning with soap must be about removing biofilm if it happened to be there (note that I am not proposing that it is there in most cases.) On the other hand, I'm concerned about bacteria building up during the endless time it takes the hose to dry if I don't choose to use the blower on it.

I'm a proponent of emptying and drying the humidifier tank daily (with occasional misses) and I rinse my nasal pillow daily and wash it twice a week, and I wash everything else on a less frequent basis. That would include my mask tubing.

I haven't stopped cleaning the hose, but I'm morphing to less frequently and I might consider the vinegar solution.

ilenedreams

Post by ilenedreams » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
One drop in some water makes lots of suds to wash away body oils.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:I use a few drops of Ivory Liquid dishwashing detergent in the tube, rinse with hot water. Rinse several times and hang in the bathroom to dry - do this every Sunday. I also use a vinegar and water solution every week to clean out my humidifier. These were the instructions from the DME and so I am following them. I also get sinus infections easily and so I have to be really careful.
Ditto, I wash mine every week because the DME told me to

El Pap

Post by El Pap » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 am

The only time I ever wash the hose is when I return from travel, if the hose has picked up an odor from being used and stored in a smelly hotel room.

cpap'er

Post by cpap'er » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:00 am

My hose an my Nasal pillow i do clean quite a bit...i just use antibacterial hand soap and hot water....I like it cause the soap i use is citrus scented and it makes everything smell nice when i put my mask on.

I wash the hose less frequently than the nasal pillow but having said that i do wash the hose a fair amount...i found the end of my hose fits nicely around the airator on tha batheroomsink faucet so i squirt some hand soap down the hose and fill it with hot water and shake it around in the hose and then i hook one end of the hose on the faucet witht he water on full hot and put the other end of the hose in the tub and let it run through till its free of soap suds....i dry the outside with a towl then i hook my hose up to my CPAP machine and let the air dry it out on the inside and its done.