Resmed Activa lt

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pdean44

Resmed Activa lt

Post by pdean44 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:26 am

Woke up early 3 am right now with mask noise. Was making a whining noise. Had rain out. It was loud enough that my wife asked me what was wrong with my mask.
Are these masks typically a noise issue? Going to turn the humidifier way down.

BTW wearing the chin strap has my leak rate down to nothing. I also use a polident strip. Just wish i could get this rain out and mask noise issue under control.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

dave21

Re: Resmed Activa lt

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:45 am

Hi,

I use the Activa mask too (L) and even on the ResMed S9 which is supposed to give less rainout I do still get rainout. I guess it depends on the overall temperature in the room and whether it drops within the night. I tend to find I receive more rainout down the tube and into the mask if I put the tube up around the bed posts. If I leave the tube dangling down onto the floor from the machine then I get less rainout (I guess water is more difficult to run up than it is down a tube). I also find that I tend to get less water in the mask when I sleep on my back. I find it more comfortable sleeping on my back but my AHI's do increase a little vs sleeping on my side.

For the S9 I reduced the temperature on the H5i from 27C to 25C to 23C. 23C is still bearable (I've slept for nearly 5 years without a humidifier) but the air is a little cooler than at 27C but I find that also helps in reducing the rainout effect.

Usually I have the central heating on until I'm dozing off to sleep and that keeps the house at 20C, but after this for the next 6-7 hours the house temperature starts to drop more.

I do have a H4i for the S8 AutoSet Spirit but one of the main reasons for not using it was the sensation of being awoken to water droplets in the mask which is very disconcerting at the best of times.

I hope some of that helps a little.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Sounds like you are dealing with pretty much the same issue as I am. I sleep on my back normally. I tried draping the hose over the head board. That made it worse. I bought the hose cover and now let it drape off the side of the bed hoping that the water will run back at the machine. Tonight I am turning the humidifier way down. Will have to see how that goes. I hope well as I have to work tomorrow.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm

The noise is very likely associated with rainout/condensation in the mask. I have noticed the same thing on the Activa LT when there has been condensation in the mask--it is coming from the vent holes. Sometimes, I have been able to get it go away by running my finger around the vent holes, but the better solution is to prevent the rainout/condensation in the first place.

dave21 wrote:... even on the ResMed S9 which is supposed to give less rainout I do still get rainout.
Are you using the ClimateLine hose and Auto climate control on the S9? I know the manual says that if you don't use "Auto" mode and set the humidifier manually, it may not prevent rainout, so I'm curious what your settings are.

(yet another Jeff)

dave21

Post by dave21 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

jmelby wrote:Are you using the ClimateLine hose and Auto climate control on the S9? I know the manual says that if you don't use "Auto" mode and set the humidifier manually, it may not prevent rainout, so I'm curious what your settings are.
I'm using the ClimateLine hose and have Auto Climate Control set to ON but on the main screen you get to dial in the temperature and I've set that to 23C. I do fill the H5i up with warm tap water and I found that by default it was on 27C out of the box, and I was getting a lot of rainout. Over a few days I found dropping to 25C was better and then further to 23C. For most days I don't get a lot of rainout but the last few days in the UK have been pretty cold (heavy frost and house temperature drops at night) and that coupled with the humidifer might be still creating rainout.

Interestingly enough I know manufacturers have mostly said in the past to use distilled water but I've always used tap water and the S9 and H5i comes with an A5 leaflet that says tap water is okay to use and ResMed suggest you use tap water over other types of water.

I read on the ResMed documentation that they say that it almost eliminates rainout, although it doesn't claim it completely eliminates rainout.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 pm

I just ordered the aussie hose. So when that arrives I hope I put an end to that issue regardless of what face mask i end up with.

Jm do you do any taping or have to use a chin strap? I got my leak rate numbers way down to almost nothing. My ahi rate is high though so will have to see how that goes over the next few days. I had th rain out and my wife said i snored a little so I may been compensating for air flow or something because of the rain out. Hard to say. I tried the polident strips . I had the chin strap over my mask straps. That may have had the mask too tight on my head. This time going to try the chin strap 1st and place the mask on over it.

-- JOHN WOODEN --