S9 first night comments and setup screwup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arizona-Willie

S9 first night comments and setup screwup

Post by Arizona-Willie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am

Well, the " miracle " machine finally arrived yesterday and I rinsed the hose and water tank and then, last night, took it for it's first try.

This morning I got an AHI of 0.7!!!! WOW
Unfortunately, I screwed up and lost all detailed data.
Yesterday I copied all the files on the SD card to a folder on my hard drive and then put the card back in the machine and left it there overnight.

WRONG

This morning I went into Rescan 3.10 and Settings and attempted to set the settings for the card but could not without a card present. So I got the card out of the machine and put it in and then it allowed me to set it up ... however it wipes the card when you do that.
So then I put the card back in the machine and got only summary settings ... no detailed data.
I believe because when I put the card back in the machine it read the card and said the settings has been successful and that < probably > wiped out the detailed data. grrrr

They should include a paper with a list of steps to take to initially setup the machine for data collection.
All they tell you is how to put it together.

As for comments on the machine.

I was surprised at the heavy plastic odor when I put the mask on and turned on the machine. Since I rinsed out the tub and hose I wasn't expecting that.
I suppose the blower and all is plastic too. I hope that odor goes away after a couple of nights use.

Quiet, I guess! I didn't think my S8 was noisy. But this machine is super quiet. And, as they say, there is little / no sound transferred via the hose. I had heard the S8 on occasion through the hose but I didn't hear this one last night. I was very very pleased at the quietness.

There was one puzzle. In the settings there was an item for EPR Inhale which I had never heard of before. Only two settings Med and Fast. I < presume > that controls how fast it builds up to the set pressure during CPAP. Oh yea, I set it for CPAP and my standard 11 so I could compare to the old S8.

I haven't tried the APAP yet. Want to get some good graphs on CPAP before I switch.

So it's quiet but stinky, not enough setup info given, gives low AHI numbers compared to S8 Elite.

jmelby

Re: S9 first night comments and setup screwup

Post by jmelby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:56 am

Unlike the S8, I believe that the S9 stores the detailed data right on the SD card... this is an inference from looking at their data management guide on what is available on the SD card vs. USB interface:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf

So... you need to get all of the data off the SD card BEFORE trying to make any settings changes from ResScan--not sure why it wipes the card, but it does. You also need to have the SD card in the machine when using it--also different than the S8 where you just copied the data to the card all at once.

(yet another Jeff)

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the link ... I saved that.

I'm still not positively 100% sure whether the card should be left in the machine or only put in to get the data like we did with the S8 Elite.
I had left the card in the machine last night and I'm pretty sure I have the settings right to get detailed data but there was none. But that is perhaps because I didn't have it set up in Rescan before trying to collect data and when I put it in Rescan and set it up it wiped the data. When I put it back in the machine I got only summary data. So maybe the machine retains summary data but not detailed data ... I dunno.

Dreamdiver, if you read this -- do you leave the card in the machine overnight or just put it in to get the data in the morning?

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:There was one puzzle. In the settings there was an item for EPR Inhale which I had never heard of before. Only two settings Med and Fast. I < presume > that controls how fast it builds up to the set pressure during CPAP.
Hi, Willie. Good to hear that you finally received your S9 machine!

The EPR Inhale setting "sets the rate at which pressure returns to therapy pressure during inhalation." It is a feature that's also on the S8 Elite II and S8 AutoSet II (in CPAP mode). Personally, I find the "Med" setting more comfortable.

Enjoy your shiny new machine!

~ DreamOn

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Arizona-Willie wrote:Thanks for the link ... I saved that.

I'm still not positively 100% sure whether the card should be left in the machine or only put in to get the data like we did with the S8 Elite.
I had left the card in the machine last night and I'm pretty sure I have the settings right to get detailed data but there was none. But that is perhaps because I didn't have it set up in Rescan before trying to collect data and when I put it in Rescan and set it up it wiped the data. When I put it back in the machine I got only summary data. So maybe the machine retains summary data but not detailed data ... I dunno.

Dreamdiver, if you read this -- do you leave the card in the machine overnight or just put it in to get the data in the morning?
I used mine for the first time last night and left the card in the machine the whole time... I think it _needs_ to be there to get the detailed data, and in the very least did not hurt anything being there. I looked at my data this morning and it was all there.

Last edited by jmelby on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(yet another Jeff)

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Did you also change the settings in ResScan to download the detail sessions? It is off by default and you need to go into "Select" before downloading and set it to that.

(yet another Jeff)

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, I've always had Rescan get the detailed info for the 1st night.
I'm pretty sure that not having the card set up in Rescan before using it was the problem.
When I tried to get data this morning it wouldn't until I went into Rescan Settings and set the pressures etc. etc.
Then, the card was wiped so I put it in the machine which then read the card and said settings was successful but I only got summary data so I think when I put the card in the machine and it read the settings it wiped out any data that might have been in any internal memory.

It would be nice if they told people to set the card up using Rescan before use.

Oh well live and learn.

Hopefully I will get better results as far as data goes tonight.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

jmelby wrote:Unlike the S8, I believe that the S9 stores the detailed data right on the SD card... this is an inference from looking at their data management guide on what is available on the SD card vs. USB interface:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf

So... you need to get all of the data off the SD card BEFORE trying to make any settings changes from ResScan--not sure why it wipes the card, but it does. You also need to have the SD card in the machine when using it--also different than the S8 where you just copied the data to the card all at once.
That was the conclusion I came to as well. The evidence for me was the S9 chart that showed that only summary data was available if no SD card is present. That strongly implies that detail gets written to the card plus I have used ResLinks on S8s & S7s (& Vpaps) & the detail data on ResLink ALWAYS got written directly to the SM (SmartMedia) card they use. SD merely looks like the replacement for SM.

What this does also imply to me is that if the machine will accept an 8GB card it shows they support SDHC which further implies 16GB & 32GB support (fat32) and that I can use a t-flash (microSD) card in an SD adapter (t-flash 8GB & 16GB cards are dirt cheap compared to the bigger SD bigger cards plus I can use them in my mobile phone(s) and camera(s) ). No big deal but allows one to standardize of a popular format that can be adapted to many uses.

i.e. t-flash or MicroSD cards can be put into adapters for ...
1) Standard SD card adapter for t-flash
2) Sony Memstick DUO (I have one with 2 x 8 GB t-flash cards plugged in & in turn used in a Sony digital camera)
3) xD card in an Olympus camera (have an adapter that allows me to fit an 8 or 16 GB t-flash card into an xD adapter then into an Olympus digital camera)
4) Sony M2 adapter for t-flash (again used in Sony video camera)

t-flash or MicroSD as it is also called, is becoming the inexpensive base for many different datacard types. see link below for examples.

DSM

http://www.cheapchips.com.au/

>2 - some t-flash adapters (see how tiny the t-flash (microSD) cards are (the size of a small fingernail but go up to 16GB) ...
http://www.cheapchips.com.au/memory/micro-sd-cards.htm
Last edited by dsm on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Arizona-Willie

Thanks for your feedback - there does seem to be a need for a 'cheat-sheet' for folk interested in the data gathering aspects of the S9 and
how to protect & manage their SD card data.

Perhaps we can build that here & I am happy to post & host it.

Thanks

DSM

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Glad to finally have your new machine Willie.

I must say i did not notice a plastic smell really, i rinsed my humidifier tank but didn't bother with the hose.
However I'm using pur sleep scented pads, they are much easier to place under the air intake on the machine as there is no annoying power cord in the way like on the S8.

What humidifier settings did you use? I used auto at first and found it used hardly any water. I switched to manual and 4.5 with the temperature set to 85, it used about half a tank. Have you figured out what the temperature is for? The instructions with the machine are terrible.

Also have you figured out how to get your sleep report for each apnea type breakdown on the screen, i can only find the screen with the AHI and not the breakdown of centrals etc even though i have it unlocked (clinicians mode).

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Also have you figured out how to get your sleep report for each apnea type breakdown on the screen, i can only find the screen with the AHI and not the breakdown of centrals etc even though i have it unlocked (clinicians mode).
Is this the info you need, Uncle_Bob? At viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49847&p=459074#p459074, jmelby wrote:

"To get the finer grained detail on the OAI, CAI, HI breakout, it is not the clinical menu you need to get into, it is the advanced Info menu... different keys to hold down together (Info and Setup--hold 3 seconds) as opposed to the clinical menu (Setup and Push Button)."

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Glad to finally have your new machine Willie.

I must say i did not notice a plastic smell really, i rinsed my humidifier tank but didn't bother with the hose.
However I'm using pur sleep scented pads, they are much easier to place under the air intake on the machine as there is no annoying power cord in the way like on the S8.

What humidifier settings did you use? I used auto at first and found it used hardly any water. I switched to manual and 4.5 with the temperature set to 85, it used about half a tank. Have you figured out what the temperature is for? The instructions with the machine are terrible.

Also have you figured out how to get your sleep report for each apnea type breakdown on the screen, i can only find the screen with the AHI and not the breakdown of centrals etc even though i have it unlocked (clinicians mode).
To get the apnea breakdown on the machine, you need to hold down the Info and Setup buttons for 3 seconds (different than the clinical menu)... then you get a more detailed report on the machine.

Personally, I tried auto climate control at the default setting of 80 degrees and it worked pretty well for me--used a fair amount of water. I suspect the difference may be between Minnesota in the winter vs. Arizona. I was planning to lower the temperature a little bit (78) as I thought the air was a little warm. The intent of all of this is that it will keep the temperature to what you set it to at the mask with a relative humidity of 80%. From the ClimateLine manual:
The recommended (default) setting for Climate Control is Auto mode. In Auto
mode you have the ability to adjust air temperature (61-86°F/16-30°C) depending
on preference. Based on your selected air temperature, Climate Control
automatically adjusts the humidifier output to maintain a constant, comfortable
humidity level of 80% relative humidity while protecting against rainout. In Auto
mode the default air temperature is set to 80°F (27°C).
If enabled by the clinician, Climate Control can also be set to
Manual. In this mode, air temperature and humidity can be
set independently, providing you greater flexibility but without
the rainout protection guaranteed in Auto mode. In this mode,
air temperature (61-86°F/16-30°C) and humidity (0-6) can
be set independently. If rainout occurs, either increase air
temperature or decrease the humidity setting.
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf

(yet another Jeff)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Arrrggghhh. It figures. The one thing I hate about the S8 ResLink. The *&$*^ card has to be in the ResLink to get the full detailed data. I so much better liked only having to insert the card when I wanted to do a download. *sigh*

IF I had an S9 I'd have to have TWO cards - take one out and put the other in immediately and just keep alternating like that. I get so doggone frustrated w/myself when I forget to put the *&^%& SmartMedia card back in my ResLink before I go to bed!!!

Remember when Ford had the better idea??

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Slinky wrote:Arrrggghhh. It figures. The one thing I hate about the S8 ResLink. The *&$*^ card has to be in the ResLink to get the full detailed data. I so much better liked only having to insert the card when I wanted to do a download. *sigh*

IF I had an S9 I'd have to have TWO cards - take one out and put the other in immediately and just keep alternating like that. I get so doggone frustrated w/myself when I forget to put the *&^%& SmartMedia card back in my ResLink before I go to bed!!!

Remember when Ford had the better idea??
Slinky me old dear, it gets worse !!!

If you were to alternate 2 x SD cards. you would have to be sure the prior data gets wiped after downloading as if you didn't would end up with 2 SD cards containing alternately added data. Say you swapped each day without wiping the SD card. Then
Day 1 - card 1 holds day 1,
Day 2 - card 2 holds day 2,
Day 3 - card 1 holds days 1 & 3,
Day 4 - card 2 holds day 2 & 4,
etc: etc: etc:

The good thing about the ResLink SM card was that it was cumulative & would only overwrite when the space on the card got filled up.
The downside is as you have already 'splained - forget to put it in and lose that data.

The issue with wiping the card clean each time is the potential for losing data anyway.

We need a 'cheat sheet' of good SD practice.

DSM
Last edited by dsm on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Cheat Sheet

DO THESE THINGS BEFORE USING YOUR S9

1. Insert card in your SD card reader
2. Use Windows Explorer to view the files on the card.
3. Make a directory on your hard drive and name it something you can find later -- like Rescan SD card
4. Copy files from the SD card to the above directory. Now if something happens to your card you can easily make a new one.
5. With card still inserted in your computer open Rescan 3.10
6. Open a patient file
7. Go to Settings and set the pressures and operating mode to what you want to use.
8a. Go to S9 and push the Button and Setup for 3 seconds and get into the menu.
8b. Go to the Options Menu and set Sleep Quality to < ON >
9a. Remove card from computer and insert in back of S9 before going to bed. Machine will read the settings on the card and apply them.
9b. Follow instructions in the manual to set up things like your desired humidity, etc. etc.
LEAVE CARD IN S9 DURING USE
10. Wake up and remove card from S9 ... get a cup of coffee ... insert card in your card reader then into computer .. fire up Rescan 3.10 and download your detailed data.

Last edited by Arizona-Willie on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.