Loss of pressure in the Morning (Update Last Post)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joe..Cool

Loss of pressure in the Morning (Update Last Post)

Post by Joe..Cool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 am

Hello all!

I am very new to all this. I picked up my REMstar Pro M Series with C-Flex this past Friday, I have used it for just a couple of days. In the morning my wife tells me that I am snoring again. I check the mask and there are no leaks around the face, I also have checked hose and found no leaks anywhere. All the equipment is brand new, the machine had zero hours on it, the tech did show me that.

So my question is there some setting that would cause the pressure to change through the night? I have not touched any of the settings since I picked it up on Friday.

Joe
Last edited by Joe..Cool on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huffer

Re: Loss of pressure in the Morning

Post by Huffer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 am

What is your pressure setting?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill

Joe..Cool

Post by Joe..Cool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:58 am

Sorry about that it is set at 7.0 cm

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:05 am

Maybe that is inadequate for REM state. You might want to experiment by increasing the pressure a bit. Sleep tests can be very in accurate due to the fact few people sleep normally with wires attached to them in strange settings.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Joe..Cool

Post by Joe..Cool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 am

BlackSpinner wrote:Maybe that is inadequate for REM state. You might want to experiment by increasing the pressure a bit. Sleep tests can be very in accurate due to the fact few people sleep normally with wires attached to them in strange settings.

If I knew how I would, but it seems that the pressure I start the night with is higher than it is in the morning. I don't know if I am just getting use to it or if there is some setting or the machine is just faulty, because I end up snoring in the early morning. I was told that I should not snore when using the CPAP.
Last edited by Joe..Cool on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RLAUREN

Post by RLAUREN » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 am

It is pretty surprising. What seems like a lot of pressure to go to sleep feels like nothing in the morning. Just pull the mask away from you face a little and you'll feel that wind again. Good Luck

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 am

Joe..Cool wrote: If I knew how I would, but it seems that the pressure I start the night with is higher than it is in the morning. I don't know if I am just getting use to it or if there is some setting or the machine is just faulty, because I end up snoring in the early morning. I was told that I should not snore when using the CPAP.
If you search the forum there are instructions around. I don't know your machine and I am not sure if you have a data capable machine. If you do then you can get the details of what is happening during the night or your DME can give it to you. You will see the pressure doesn't drop towards morning, our bodies get used to it so it seems that it isn't even on until you start to take your mask off. If you are snoring the setting of 7 is inadequate.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 pm

You don't tell us about ALL of your equipment. We would have a better chance of helping you if you fill in the details of all of your kit.
The old six shooter was as popular as the cellphone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the theater!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Joe, if you will send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address I will be glad to send you the complete manual on your machine in PDF format. Tells how to turn on everything and change pressure, etc.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

nursedeborah

Post by nursedeborah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:54 pm

I am pretty sure we have the same machine. Mine kept turning off
when I first got it!!! Then had me change the settings over the
phone, and it still did it.

I know what your talking about in the am, and it feels like nothing is even coming out.
I now see that the water is almost gone, and only 1/4 left! What's up with that? Anyone?

Debbie

Mine is set on 12.5, or just 12???

Joe..Cool

Post by Joe..Cool » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:03 am

6PtStar wrote:Joe, if you will send me a PM (private message) with your e-mail address I will be glad to send you the complete manual on your machine in PDF format. Tells how to turn on everything and change pressure, etc.

Jerry
Thanks 6PtStar but Hawthorne got one to me already.

Joe..Cool

Post by Joe..Cool » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:25 am

Terminator wrote:You don't tell us about ALL of your equipment. We would have a better chance of helping you if you fill in the details of all of your kit.
Terminator I have updated my profile, I did not have all the info with me when I was at work yesterday.

Now from reading here and talking to the Tech at the DME, it sounds like I have an air leak. I have always been a noise breather, so it could be coming from mouth. So last night I did a little trail, I taped my mouth shut(my wife really liked that part LOL). Make sure I did not have any big leaks on the mask and went to sleep. WOW I feel soooo much better today than I have in the past year! I'm not walking around in that fog I normally have in the morning, I feel great.

I was able to look at some of that data on the machine with Hawthorne's help it's a rolling 7 and 30 day average.

Leak was 27.7 (My big mouth)
I don't remember the AHI

I will be ordering the card reader, but before I do it. Is there another one I could get made by ResMed that would be better for the data part? My DME said that I can exchange machines out within the 30 days for a different model if I like.

Thank you guys for all the great input and responses.
Joe

Joe..Cool

Post by Joe..Cool » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 am

Update

I am still having the issue with the pressure being less in the morning. My original pressure is 7.0, I have changed to 7.5 with still no change. So I contacted my family doctor, who setup the sleep study, I spoked with his nurse. It seems that I am not the only one who has had problems with the sleep lab that I have been to, it is just a couple of us I think I am #4. So after speaking with her for about an hour this morning I will be going to see the Pulmonologist on the 22 of March, who did read my results from the sleep study. I will also be changing DME, from what the nurse(at the Pulmonologist office) told me I can CHOSE any machine that will make my therapy better for me.

So if you guys can help me out I am leaving tomorrow for a spring break family vacation and will have little to no internet connection to research all the different machines. Can you guys suggest one that will work well for keeping track of data without having to spend a chunk of change for software and a smart card reader(I will if I have to, but prefer not too). From what I have read so far, I think I would like one that has the Auto feature to help my find a pressure that works better for me. I really don't know which way to go with these things. Thank you guys for all the posts that I have read, there is a great deal of information here.

So let the suggestions begin!

Hawthorne

Re: Loss of pressure in the Morning (Update Last Post)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:45 pm

You can get the M Series AUTO with C-Flex or the M Series AUTO with A-Flex. I have the one AUTO with A-Flex. It gives me 2 choices for exhalation relief and I prefer the A-Flex at a setting of 1.

I have my auto set at a very narrow range and it works well for me. I almost always have an AHI of under 1. I believe I sent you a copy of the nightly 6 page report it generates. I really like the auto, having had a straight cpap before.

I think the card reader that works with that machine can be bought cheaper at a couple of places online but I'm not sure what they are. You can search the reader and see. I expect you have seen it on cpap.com. You can check the full name of it there and then search for places that sell it cheaper. I don't think you can get the software for that machine any cheaper unless maybe someone is selling a used one on cpapauction.com. It's the same software and reader for the M Series Pro you have and the M Series Auto.

As for another machine with cheaper software, I don't know if there is one but others, who have other brands of machines may know whether or not the software is cheaper.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Joe..Cool

Re: Loss of pressure in the Morning (Update Last Post)

Post by Joe..Cool » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 am

Thank you Hawthorne I will keep reading as much as I can over the next week. I'm also looking forward to talking to the Pulmonologist, about my options on machines that he think will work best for me. I just wished I would have gotten more involved in the research before actually going to the sleep study. If I would have I don't think I would be in the situation I am now. I will be taking back the machine I have after I get a new one from the different DME. I thinking S9 or S8, but don't enough about them yet.

I have been using this machine for almost a week and I always wake up around 330am-430am. The mask is on, no leaks that I can find, and my wife says I'm snoring through the mask, now that my mouth is tape. I have been turning up the pressure starting at 7.0 and now 8.0. I will be going up to 8.5 tonight, so is there any risk involved with turning up pressure?