S9 Autoset vs. M-Series Pro - AUDIO SMACKDOWN

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

S9 Autoset vs. M-Series Pro - AUDIO SMACKDOWN

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 am

Maybe a little geeky, but I did it anyway.
Using Sampson Audio USB Microphone and Audacity, I recorded each machine in the identical environment from exactly one foot away.

These are the results.

Besides the obvious comparison to Hoover vacuum for the M-Series, I notice a chirp on exhale with my S9. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm concerned that it may get worse with age. If nobody else has had this happen, I may need to exchange the machine.

Also, when you listen from about second 35 on the M-Series Pro, you can hear my heartbeat in the patency feedback from the open air column. Has anyone else tried or noticed this late at night when they can't fall asleep too?

Winner: S9 Autoset

KatieW

Re: S9 Autoset vs. M-Series Pro - AUDIO SMACKDOWN

Post by KatieW » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Very interesting! Did you have the mask on, when recording this? Do you use EPR?

I heard a low whistling sound, is that what you mean by chirping?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm

KatieW wrote:Very interesting! Did you have the mask on, when recording this? Do you use EPR?

I heard a low whistling sound, is that what you mean by chirping?
KatieW,
Mask on, in the bed, facing away from the mic to isolate just the sound of the machines. No EPR on either machine. Both machines set to CPAP 10.5/10.6 cm H20 - as close to identical as possible.

Whistling/chirping - only in the S9.

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:13 pm

DreamDiver wrote:Maybe a little geeky, but I did it anyway.
Using Sampson Audio USB Microphone and Audacity, I recorded each machine in the identical environment from exactly one foot away.

These are the results.

Besides the obvious comparison to Hoover vacuum for the M-Series, I notice a chirp on exhale with my S9. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm concerned that it may get worse with age. If nobody else has had this happen, I may need to exchange the machine.

Also, when you listen from about second 35 on the M-Series Pro, you can hear my heartbeat in the patency feedback from the open air column. Has anyone else tried or noticed this late at night when they can't fall asleep too?

Winner: S9 Autoset
DreamDiver,

Great experiments - really enjoyed the effort you went to

The 'chirp' appears to be wind whistle - possibly from the vents ?, but am wondering if that little sensor that smaples the temp at the mask, may cause some kind of turbulence ? (just a thought).

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm

dsm wrote:DreamDiver,

The 'chirp' appears to be wind whistle - possibly from the vents ?, but am wondering if that little sensor that smaples the temp at the mask, may cause some kind of turbulence ? (just a thought).

DSM
My mask is facing away from the microphone, so it's not a mask issue. Likely, the same would happen with either machine in that case. I haven't got the climateline hose yet, so the sampler is not the issue, either, I suspect. I've also plugged in directly to the Autoset sans humidifier, and produced the same sound, so I know it's not the humidifier. It's something in the machine itself. Hmmm...

I suspect keebler elves...

dsm

Post by dsm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
dsm wrote:DreamDiver,

DSM
My mask is facing away from the microphone, so it's not a mask issue. Likely, the same would happen with either machine in that case. I haven't got the climateline hose yet, so the sampler is not the issue, either, I suspect. I've also plugged in directly to the Autoset sans humidifier, and produced the same sound, so I know it's not the humidifier. It's something in the machine itself. Hmmm...

I suspect keebler elves...
This kind of clever detective work is very intriguing.
10 points for a brilliant effort

I am really impressed by all the analysis you have done thus far.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

robmax

Post by robmax » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

The whistle in the S9 is surprising and discouraging. My new S8 Autoset II is virtually silent, with no whistling, no breath sounds, no nothing, except good, quiet treatment. Maybe I better buy another one before they go away.

Put the Darth Vader sound of the M together with the S9 whistle, and you have a close approximation of the PR System One I unceremoniously dumped at my DME's because of failure to sleep and failure of treatment after a month.

I'd be interested to know if Uncle Bob and the few others here with the S9 have a similar sound.

Rob

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:46 pm

robmax wrote:The whistle in the S9 is surprising and discouraging. My new S8 Autoset II is virtually silent, with no whistling, no breath sounds, no nothing, except good, quiet treatment. Maybe I better buy another one before they go away.

Put the Darth Vader sound of the M together with the S9 whistle, and you have a close approximation of the PR System One I unceremoniously dumped at my DME's because of failure to sleep and failure of treatment after a month.

I'd be interested to know if Uncle Bob and the few others here with the S9 have a similar sound.

Rob
The whistle is barely audible. I've been trying it on CPAP. It may be different in Auto. I'm interested to know too. I suspect mine may be a fluke.

I'm equally curious as to whether anyone else can hear their own heartbeat in the patency feedback of their M-Series Pro.

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Chris--

I have the same whistling sound with my S9. I have mine set on autoset with EPR so it does happen in both modes then. Just wanted to let you know. I really hadn't noticed it before now, though. I just went and put on my mask to listen after listening to your recordings...now I will hear all the time Thanks a lot, Chris...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,chocolate in hand,body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO what a ride!

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:44 am

preemiern wrote:Hi Chris--

I have the same whistling sound with my S9. I have mine set on autoset with EPR so it does happen in both modes then. Just wanted to let you know. I really hadn't noticed it before now, though. I just went and put on my mask to listen after listening to your recordings...now I will hear all the time Thanks a lot, Chris...
Sorry. Actually, there are birds outside my window in the morning that are louder and more insistent. If it doesn't get louder over the next couple years, it's not a game-changer for me. It really is barely audible from the bed. I've tried it now in APAP with lower, yet similar results.

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am

The noise actually doesn't bother me at all either...I had to get my ear down pretty close to my machine to hear it.
On another note...when in APAP mode, do you still get "Flow" as an option in your detailed graphs? I just can't figure out why I can't get flow in my graphs, and it is not an option from the graphs option menu when I click on that icon .

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,chocolate in hand,body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO-HOO what a ride!

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

preemiern wrote:The noise actually doesn't bother me at all either...I had to get my ear down pretty close to my machine to hear it.
On another note...when in APAP mode, do you still get "Flow" as an option in your detailed graphs? I just can't figure out why I can't get flow in my graphs, and it is not an option from the graphs option menu when I click on that icon .
Are you clicking to the "Details" tab in the graphs option--I found not all of these were enabled by default. The options are not available on the "Summary" tab of that window.

(yet another Jeff)

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:58 pm

jmelby wrote:
preemiern wrote:The noise actually doesn't bother me at all either...I had to get my ear down pretty close to my machine to hear it.
Are you clicking to the "Details" tab in the graphs option--I found not all of these were enabled by default. The options are not available on the "Summary" tab of that window.
Yes--I have clicked on the Details tab, and it isn't there either

preemiern

Post by preemiern » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 pm

I HAVE FLOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing the happy flow dance!!!!!!

I'm not sure which of my actions did it...I uninstalled and reinstalled Rescan, and I also reformatted my SD card. One of those actions worked...not sure which, but I can't wait to look at my data in the morning!!!
Thanks to all of you who listened to me whine about not finding flow and for all the answers you all gave me in trying to get it to show!!!!!
Cindy

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:46 am

Hi Guys,

On the audio whistling on the S9 when exhaling, I'm also hearing the same thing. It is kinda disconcerting to start with especially seeing that the S8 as many have suggested is very silent. It's something you get used to, I almost think it sounds like somebody wheezing when you exhale. At first I thought it was the Activa mask but switching to the Swift FX I get it on both and it's definitely coming from the machine.