S9 Reviews

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
idamtnboy

Re: S9 Reviews

Post by idamtnboy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 am

billbolton wrote:
idamtnboy wrote:Interesting diatribe!
Its yet another rerun of the rant that was posted a while back under a different user name (one of the various Mikexxx user IDs) - the claims were thoroughly addressed by a number of other S9 users here, but it made not one jot of difference to the poster then, and is just as unlikely to now
I wondered if he might be EricinNC reincarnated!

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 am

I was/am very, very, very pleased with my S9 ASV (S9 ResMed VPAP Adapt) in every respect except one.

Since my model is specifically designed to treat sufferers of Central and Mixed apneas and is supposed to be top-of-the-line, does it make any sense that its otherwise extensive data capability fails to distinguish between Central vs Obstructive apneas in its reporting? Especially when lesser S9 models do mark the differences with different color flags?

This really baffles and grates me.

See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74149&p=680655#p680655

Was this a conscious design decision on the part of ResMed, or is there something about the way this unit has to be designed that makes it impossible to distinguish what lesser models of the S9 can distinguish?

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

<removed by admin just in case you didn't know the email would show>

Resmeds S9 - possible noise offender

Post by <removed by admin just in case you didn't know the email would show> » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 pm

I have a newer Resmed S9, purchased about six months ago. It has an exhale howl that is very annoying, and, per Jacob from NORCA here in Bend, OR, where I purchased it, I am stuck with it. He states that Resmed will not consider the exhale howl a defect and will not fix or swap machines to get rid of it. It is considered part of the the way the machine works....
There is history and here it is, briefly, I got an Resmed S9 several years ago, it howled too, got a replacement (different distributor, two years ago), and the replacement was quieter. I bought this new one, end of last year, it also howled, it was replaced, AND its replacement howled too. Now the NORCO distributer says Resmed no longer considers this howl a defect, and will not honor their warranty or return policy for exhale howling. Seems older machines made is Australia do not howl, (not each and every machine), but the newer ones, manufactured in Singapore do howl regularly, so a policy changes, and now howling with exhale is not considered a defect. I am stuck with a howler, and others will be too. If you are noise sensitive, consider Resmeds S9 as a possible noise offender.

carolyngoodman

Post by carolyngoodman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 pm

removed username of last person since it was email, and many times i get frantic emails from people when they realized their email is showing.

- Carolyn
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

-tim

Post by -tim » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I think the howling is a result of them getting sloppy with the injection of their fan assembly. On the top of the s9 motor there is a disk that has a few cut outs that are there to balance the fan. It turns out the more cuts there are, different sound the machine makes. I have no idea why they have that disk in the air flow region since I expect moving it outside of the high airflow would reduce the problems. They could also use a larger drill bit and cut out a thinner chunk of the disk which would change the acoustics drastically.

My new 560 also makes odd noises on exhale. Why can't they use the same tricks used by pipe organs 150 years ago to reduce these problems?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Mine is nice and quiet; I got it from our hosts.
Could some of the scabbier DMEs be selling counterfeit equipment?

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:19 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Mine is nice and quiet; I got it from our hosts.
Could some of the scabbier DMEs be selling counterfeit equipment?
I rather doubt the xPAP units themselves are being counterfeited. The cost to reverse engineer and manufacture probably isn't worth the return. Now things like masks, pillows, hoses, etc. are another story. I suspect a majority of those being peddled on eBay are fake, as well as much of those by unscrupulous DMEs.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 am

I just spent my 1st night with the machine and I am an brand new user...

# it is very quiet and thankfully none of the lights stay on.

I'm not thrilled about the hose connection being in the back,it essentially reduces the usable hose by about 6 inches. (Using a hose extension or 10ft hose is probably a requirement, not an accessory)

I wear trifocal glasses to see and I use a full face mask.

Wearing glasses with the Quatro mask is near impossible, so I did all of the setup for ramp time, humidity level with my glasses on & then I put the mask on. Turning the machine on and off was a breeze.

BUT if I were to want to change the humidity level settings in the middle of the night, it would not be a simple task. take off mask, find glasses, press buttons to get to humidity settings, change settings, reverse process.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 pm

It might be revealing that the person I first heard the 'counterfeit' assertion from was a DME;
she probably was warned by a vendor not to order from 3rd party suppliers.
Said suppliers are probably in their face quite a bit.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Denial Dave wrote: I wear trifocal glasses to see and I use a full face mask.
So do I, and I'm extremely short sighted.
BUT if I were to want to change the humidity level settings in the middle of the night, it would not be a simple task. take off mask, find glasses, press buttons to get to humidity settings, change settings, reverse process.
Not that bad, Dave.
You can change the humidity setting with your eyes closed: reach out to the machine, find the knob, turn it clockwise to give yourself more humidity, counter-clockwise to reduce. And you can do that while the machine is running no need to turn the machine off in order to change humidity settings.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

mon

Post by mon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I have learned so much from this posting. I have been trying to reset the minimum pressure on my ResMed Auto set for the last week.
Through this posting I have been able to achieve that. Thanks so much for everyone's input especially the part of how to adjust the clinician's menu. I have copied and pasted the instructions so when or if I need to change them again, I have that valuable info.

Thank you for your help every body.

dyck01

Post by dyck01 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 am

I just bought a RESMED S9 elite and used it one night. I find when I breath in I get a whistling noise. It is not from my mask. Has anyone else have that problem and if so how was it corrected.
Thanks