What Auto CPAP Would you buy????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What Auto CPAP

Resmed S8 Autoset ii
21%
Respironics System one
18%
Resmed S9 - New model
46%
Other
15%

Total votes: 92

DreamDiver

Re: What Auto CPAP Would you buy????

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:51 am

bertdoozer wrote:Have to say one of the reasons i am looking elsewhere, is that i find the respironics quite noisy.
Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I think I got an extra-loud M-Series. Maybe you got a louder PRS1.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi Katie

Thanks for the suggestion! After my visit to my doctor I will start making some experiments with my cpap .

The breath therapist (I'm not sure the name in English) didn't want me to use EPR. She told the Resmed technicians had told them not to use it at least it was really necessary (for high pressures, is not my case). She didn't gave me access to the technician's menu, but useless to say we don't need them to show us how to get acceess

I find it's a super good suggestion somebody from the forum gave me (my memory is not 100% yet , it's coming), to set the pressure at 8 and an EPR of 2. One day I will try. I want first not to change anything and see what the doc is going to say in my second visit, if he says come back in one year "voila" I start my experiments For now some times I set a ramp of 5 minutes only, because I feel I'm kind of shocking with a longer ramp, some times I have no ramp at all.

I'm able to sleep well the whole night but the start is not comfortable, why don't get the comfort it's offered?

I'm even thinking at test what happened with a pressure of 6, I was never titrated. The doc decided to set the cpap at 7 and that's it. My AI varies between 0.2 to 0.6, the HI varies between 2 and 3.4, as I can understand those numbers are good. So, who knows if I can have the same good results with a lower pressure. I found two formulas used to calculate a starting pressure for titration and both are + and - 3 to 4 cmH2O. My pressure calculated, one is 7.3 and the other would be 10cmH2O. It means I would be between 3.4cmH2o (weird) and 14cmH2o in the worst of the cases. The first formula is the more accurate for me. We know this is only to have an idea of where start the pressures at titration.

If you are curious as me here are the formulas:

Formula number one
Pprep = (0.16 X BMI ) + ( 0.13 X NC ) + ( 0.04 X AHI ) -5.12 + or - 4cmH2O

Formula number two
Pref = ( 0.19 X BMI ) + ( 0.077 X NC ) + ( 0.02 X AHI ) - 0.611 + 3 cmH2O or - 4 cmH2O

BMI = Body Mass Index (you cna find in internet a calculator for BMI)
NC = neck circumference in cm for both formulas

Enjoy your calculations and let me know what do you get.

rosacer

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Very interesting formulas. First time I heard about this, what is the source?

Anyway, using Formula 1 I get a range of 6 to 7

Using Formula 2 the range is the more accurate one that I am using now 4.5 - 11

In fact through experimentation and data analysis - i set my pressure at Auto 7 -11

his formula is great if you just starting and want to set your auto on a range of min-max pressure...

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm

packer wrote:I tried the s-8 and PR 1-- decided on PR 1

check out the link if you want--

"resmed vs resperonics challenge" at my house
' - something like that- there were quite a few responses
other people have done the same thing-- it is fairly much a personal decision

new machines are quieter and easier to breathe with and have all kinds of data available,
those are reasons to change - THOUGH IF YOU ARE DOING WELL- WHY FIX IT??-
Packer,

Read your review, very good, like you say if it aint broke, dont fix it!!!!!!!! I might just have a noisy one & the one i purchace might be better. to be honest I am now starting to think its more the mask & the tubes, just got to get used to it.

Thanks for your reply.

Stu

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Wulfman wrote:In my opinion, it would depend on the pressure you need and the type of "events" you have.
If you need a pressure above 10 cm., the S8 Autoset II may not be for you as it MAY NOT pursue events above 10 cm. due to the algorithm. (software availability.....it's available from sources in Australia)
The S9 system is apparently using a different algorithm, so it MIGHT work differently. (but it looks a little weird to me)
The PR System One should be a good machine. If yours is "noisy", it may be "the luck of the draw" or may depend on where you have it located. (software availability is a slight problem unless you know where to look)

Den
My pressure is not too bad at 9cm.

Stu

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:06 am

Anyone know any prices on the new S9??????

Stu

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:56 am

I purchased a Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle Auto 254. Just throwing this out there.

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

DaveMunson wrote:I purchased a Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle Auto 254. Just throwing this out there.
Dave,,

Thanks will also have a look at that model.

Stu

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm

rosacer wrote:
I found two formulas used to calculate a starting pressure for titration and both are + and - 3 to 4 cmH2O. My pressure calculated, one is 7.3 and the other would be 10cmH2O. It means I would be between 3.4cmH2o (weird) and 14cmH2o in the worst of the cases. The first formula is the more accurate for me. We know this is only to have an idea of where start the pressures at titration.

If you are curious as me here are the formulas:

Formula number one
Pprep = (0.16 X BMI ) + ( 0.13 X NC ) + ( 0.04 X AHI ) -5.12 + or - 4cmH2O

Formula number two
Pref = ( 0.19 X BMI ) + ( 0.077 X NC ) + ( 0.02 X AHI ) - 0.611 + 3 cmH2O or - 4 cmH2O

BMI = Body Mass Index (you cna find in internet a calculator for BMI)
NC = neck circumference in cm for both formulas

Enjoy your calculations and let me know what do you get.

rosacer
I just came across your post. Thanks for posting these formulas. I'll try them tomorrow, and post my results.

Where did you find these formulas?

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 am

Hi KatieW

I did a Google on NC AHI, BMI and get this link - Chest Journal Publication - Rosacer found this formula first and je told me that from his readings - there might be different formulas for diff ethnic groups

I found the formula here
http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/conte ... .full.html

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Last edited by cpapernewbie on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed airsense 10

csellebrecht

Post by csellebrecht » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:35 am

I dont believe the s9 series has prices for the US yet....But they are going to be having a s9 autoset and an s9 elite. Both models will use the h5i humidifier. If you want the clinicians manual for it, send me a pm.....

One of the great things is that it uses a standard sd card no more Datacards and acr-38 readers needed.....

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 am

csellebrecht wrote:I dont believe the s9 series has prices for the US yet....But they are going to be having a s9 autoset and an s9 elite. Both models will use the h5i humidifier. If you want the clinicians manual for it, send me a pm.....

One of the great things is that it uses a standard sd card no more Datacards and acr-38 readers needed.....
I hope they don't do the 'iphone' thing - where they charge early adopters a significantly higher fee, then drop the price down to the market value. Didn't PR do that with the System One? For medical devices, shouldn't they allow early adopters to pay less for being willing guinea pigs? Just a thought.

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 am

DreamDiver wrote:
csellebrecht wrote:I dont believe the s9 series has prices for the US yet....But they are going to be having a s9 autoset and an s9 elite. Both models will use the h5i humidifier. If you want the clinicians manual for it, send me a pm.....

I hope they don't do the 'iphone' thing - where they charge early adopters a significantly higher fee, then drop the price down to the market value. Didn't PR do that with the System One? For medical devices, shouldn't they allow early adopters to pay less for being willing guinea pigs? Just a thought.
Call me cynical, but i bet they will

Mr Cynical!!!!!!

Ted2010

Post by Ted2010 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 am

I used a system 1 apap for 5 days but it kept me awake with a varying pitched whine as I breathed in and out. This was only slightly audible when I listened to the machine itself, but when I had one ear buried in a pillow, sleeping on my side, the air-column back to the blower was enough to create bone conduction and the 3 note 'melody' drove me bonkers all night. WHEE-whah-Wheh, WHEE-whah-Wheh, WHEE-whah-Wheh... You get the picture. I packed it up and returned it. Now I'm trying an S9 apap loaner, and for 1 night it worked well for me, then last night I was pressing the setting knob and the screen just went white. Nothing I could do would reset it. Sigh. I suspect this model of apap will be my machine for the next few years, but I truly wonder if either the System 1 or S9 machines are quite ready for prime time yet. For context, I've been using a cpap unit (the one before the M-model) set at 19.5 for about 4 years and gotten excellent therapy. My doc is trying to tweak it a bit with the apap, but I'm wondering if all of the bells and whistles don't result in fidgety breakable machines...

later-

Ted

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:47 am

Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have hesitated and said get the Resmed S8 AutoSet II w/EPR.

Today??? It is really a toss up between the Resmed S8 AutoSet II w/EPR and the PR SystemOne Auto w/Aflex.

Why?

Because I was just able to obtain the loan of a PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex.

I get every bit as good comfort w/the PRS1 as I've had w/the VPAP Auto in Auto mode. I'm really liking this PRS1. The Resmed S8 II would still have the edge w/me ONLY because of the ease of access to and amount of data available via the LCD screen. If the immediate and easy access to the data via the LCD screen isn't of high importance to you .... it is really a toss up. I've not had the opportunity to use a Resmed S9 since they haven't come out w/a bi-level Auto yet and I need a bi-level due to COPD.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.