What Auto CPAP Would you buy????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What Auto CPAP

Resmed S8 Autoset ii
21%
Respironics System one
18%
Resmed S9 - New model
46%
Other
15%

Total votes: 92

bertdoozer

What Auto CPAP Would you buy????

Post by bertdoozer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 am

I am 4 weeks into my CPAP trial & am getting on very well. AHI has dropped from 80 to 2.1 & i am no longer tired.

I have decided to take the plunge and buy my own machine, I have short listed down to 3 machines. What are your thoughts & do you have any other machines that you folks would recommend?

I want Auto, humidifier & easy breath.

DreamDiver

Re: What Auto CPAP Would you buy????

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:59 am

bertdoozer wrote:I am 4 weeks into my CPAP trial & am getting on very well. AHI has dropped from 80 to 2.1 & i am no longer tired.

I have decided to take the plunge and buy my own machine, I have short listed down to 3 machines. What are your thoughts & do you have any other machines that you folks would recommend?

bertdoozer,
Congratulations on getting some sound sleep. The choice of machine depends on your specific needs. If you know your sleep is well served by the system one, why mess with a good thing?

The S8 is the current popular model with good reason. It apparently delivers a solid performance for most users. However, it uses different algorithms than Respironics, so your therapy may not be the same if you switch makers. This machine has no diagnostic options like discovery of periodic breathing or central apneas.

The System One and S9 both offer better diagnostic options. Both have their quirks, but if your therapy starts sliding, at least you can look at the graphs and approach your doctor with relevant data that may suggest a change in machine or a new study.

Another machine worth mention is the Sandman Auto, which is quiet like the S8, but detects centrals too.
Quietness may have a bearing on our preference. The Respironics brand is generally not as quiet as Resmed. My M-Series Pro sounds like a jetpak on the nightstand to me, but my wife says it's just an insignificant white noise. I wear earplugs. The system one is probably about as noisy [edit: others have said it is much quieter] as the M-Series Pro, maybe slightly less. I don't know. Sound is telegraphed not only through the air but down the hose. They could have designed it with better sound damping. The S8 and Sandman are considered very quiet. Most of us haven't seen an S9 yet, but it's supposed to be very quiet too.

All three in your choices are self-titrating. Maybe it comes down to current availability, desired options and price. I see you haven't chosen yet. I'm still on the fence myself.

Last edited by DreamDiver on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 am

Great news, congrats. If your current unit is doing the job, why not get the same one. It's proven to work for you!

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am

I not only "would", but did buy a Sandman APAP. Love it!

Kajun

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for your input folks. will have a look at the sandman cPAP as well.

Any more votes or suggestions?

Stu

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

I voted ResMed Autoset II S8 because that's what I am using and having great results from. Get me an S9 with all the doo-dads and let me try it out. It just might be better that the S8... is it just me or am I seeing that they are only coming out with one model of that S9? Equivilant to the Autoset II? Anyway, I'd love to try one if anyone's selling one online yet.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

pixelyzed

Post by pixelyzed » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I have the PR System One set to APAP with A-Flex and I love it. Breathing with it is very natural and much more comfortable than what I remember from the M Series (with which I was titrated at home for 3 nights in November). I can also say that the System One is much quieter than the M Series. I barely hear it and only because it sits on my night table at the same height as my head. If I had it lower I wouldn't hear it at all. My average AHI is down to 1.8 and closer to 1 during the last few nights (I increased my low pressure a little).

If you want more detailed data I think you should go with the PR1 or the S9. The PR1 graphs are very detailed. Beyond that it is a matter of which algorithm feels most comfortable with your own breathing. I adapted to the PR1 immediately. I did not skip a night since I've had it and I sleep with it through the entire night. After 20 days (still a newbie) I can even fall asleep almost as fast as before I started my PAP therapy but not quite as fast yet. Still, I adapted to it a lot faster and easier than I expected and I think a large part of the credit goes to the PR1.

My 0.02$

Mask: ResMed Airfit N30
Diagnosed with severe apnea in 2009 (43+ events/hour with very long events)

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 am

I'm curious. Why most of the people prefer Resmed instead of Respironics?

I have a strait CPAP S8, that's the only thing I have tried but I have a friend who has a Respironics Pro and he love his machine dearly.

Could somebody explain me the reasons? Is it because of the amount of data we can get, the low noise, the duration of the machine, advertisement? Is there somebody who has tried both brands?

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 am

I have tried the
1. Respironics - the Tank (my first terrible and failed 3 weeks) - the straight and the auto (one successful night and start of new life with CPAP) - borrowed from DME
2. the M series - auto 3models: the C-Flex, the A-Flex 2008 model and 2009 model
The best M series is the A-Flex 2009 model , the humidifier is much better

3. The PR System One - current, almost no noise, very comfortable auto A-Flex and excellent humidifier. Poor cosmetics, filter placement and software

I Volunteer to test S9 to do a comparison study

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:44 am

DreamDiver wrote:
bertdoozer wrote:I am 4 weeks into my CPAP trial & am getting on very well. AHI has dropped from 80 to 2.1 & i am no longer tired.

bertdoozer,
Congratulations on getting some sound sleep. The choice of machine depends on your specific needs. If you know your sleep is well served by the system one, why mess with a good thing?

The S8 is the current popular model with good reason. It apparently delivers a solid performance for most users. However, it uses different algorithms than Respironics, so your therapy may not be the same if you switch makers. This machine has no diagnostic options like discovery of periodic breathing or central apneas.

The System One and S9 both offer better diagnostic options. Both have their quirks, but if your therapy starts sliding, at least you can look at the graphs and approach your doctor with relevant data that may suggest a change in machine or a new study.

Another machine worth mention is the Sandman Auto, which is quiet like the S8, but detects centrals too.
Quietness may have a bearing on our preference. The Respironics brand is generally not as quiet as Resmed. My M-Series Pro sounds like a jetpak on the nightstand to me, but my wife says it's just an insignificant white noise. I wear earplugs. The system one is probably about as noisy [edit: others have said it is much quieter] as the M-Series Pro, maybe slightly less. I don't know. Sound is telegraphed not only through the air but down the hose. They could have designed it with better sound damping. The S8 and Sandman are considered very quiet. Most of us haven't seen an S9 yet, but it's supposed to be very quiet too.

All three in your choices are self-titrating. Maybe it comes down to current availability, desired options and price. I see you haven't chosen yet. I'm still on the fence myself.

Have to say one of the reasons i am looking elsewhere, is that i find the respironics quite noisy.

bertdoozer

Post by bertdoozer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 am

dtsm wrote:Great news, congrats. If your current unit is doing the job, why not get the same one. It's proven to work for you!
Very true, just find it a little noisy

Stu

packer

Post by packer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:02 am

I tried the s-8 and PR 1-- decided on PR 1

check out the link if you want--

"resmed vs resperonics challenge" at my house
' - something like that- there were quite a few responses
other people have done the same thing-- it is fairly much a personal decision

new machines are quieter and easier to breathe with and have all kinds of data available,
those are reasons to change - THOUGH IF YOU ARE DOING WELL- WHY FIX IT??-

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:08 am

Thank you packer, I read your post "resmed vs respironics challenge".

It sounds great to have a nice machine which allow you to breath so naturally. I wish I would have one of those Respironics, each night it takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get used to pressure with my S8. Maybe one day I will get one .

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 am

rosacer wrote:Thank you packer, I read your post "resmed vs respironics challenge".

It sounds great to have a nice machine which allow you to breath so naturally. I wish I would have one of those Respironics, each night it takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get used to pressure with my S8. Maybe one day I will get one .
Are you feeling your pressure is too high at 1st? I'm wondering if you're using ramp or EPR? They can help you get used to the pressure.

My pressure is 10.6. I have "ramp minimum" set to 9.2, for 5 minutes (you could set it for longer) and EPR (exhale relief) for 2. So for the 1st 5 minutes, the inhale pressure gradually increases from 9.2 to 10.6. And the exhale pressure is 2 cm less.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 am

In my opinion, it would depend on the pressure you need and the type of "events" you have.
If you need a pressure above 10 cm., the S8 Autoset II may not be for you as it MAY NOT pursue events above 10 cm. due to the algorithm. (software availability.....it's available from sources in Australia)
The S9 system is apparently using a different algorithm, so it MIGHT work differently. (but it looks a little weird to me)
The PR System One should be a good machine. If yours is "noisy", it may be "the luck of the draw" or may depend on where you have it located. (software availability is a slight problem unless you know where to look)

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05