Afrin use for extended periods of time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Afrin use for extended periods of time

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:27 pm

I know that it is not good to use Afrin type sprays long term. But I would be interested in hearing from some people here who do use it nightly. I am curious as to how long you have been using and what if any problems you are having.

Thanks

Muse-Inc

Re: Afrin use for extended periods of time

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 pm

I'll probably get heaps of criticism but here goes. I have 30+ yrs of allergies, chronic sinusitis, vasomotor rhinitis..all producing chronic congestion and likely have damaged the nerves in my nose. An ENT in the early '00s (several yrs into undiagnosed apnea period) told me to spray both nostrils with 1 spray of Afrin nightly to enable me to breathe...did that, it worked and I kept it up using a generic from Publix which I preferred; occasionally in winter I was able to stop spraying for awhile, no rebound, although I must admit it significantly reduced my sense of smell. Spin ahead to about 20 months of CPAP therapy and I start getting the cardio side effects, big time, and have to stop using my generic Afrin...did I have rebound congestion, no. Now, once/twice a month I spray 1 nostril with a half-spray of the stuff when I'm completely blocked and feeling lousy...do that several nights in a row in the same nostril and I get the cardio side effects and rebound just like everyone else (geez, can I go back to before the side effects & rebound? Please? The durn stuff works and nothing else works as well). I am very, very careful how I use that chemical...while it works like magic, that magic comes with a steep price.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Muse,

Thank you for your honesty. Surgery is not really an option for me as I must be able to breathe thru my nose the first night after surgery. I did you Afrin every night about 4 years ago for about 18 months. I could sleep thru the whole night back then. After about 18 months the inside of my nose started to burn on the inhale but not the exhale. I stopped it cold turkey at that time. Interestingly enough, the Afrin use actually made me breathe great for a few weeks without the Afrin (the opposite of rebound). So I learned to live without it and the burning eventually went away. No perminent damage to my nose. I am thinking about going back to it for a while out of despiration. Now every night I get up after 2 to 3 hours of sleep and have to wait 1.5 to 2 hours for my nose to clear naturally. It really bites! Thanks again for your insight.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 am

I assume you've tried the usual: saline sprays, saline nasal irrigation (neti pot, Neil-Med, Grossan irrigator), nasal cortisone sprays, nasal antihistamine sprays (like Astepro), sleeping propped up on pillows or raising the head of the bed, Mucinex & lots of water, or just plain lots of water? Might investigate taking Quecetin along with vitamin C, seems to help me.

My sleep doc wrote me a script for 6% Atrovent nasal spray, supposed to stop the runny nose of a cold but he says some get good relief of congestion...haven't tried it yet, but I did get it filled. Here's info on it http://www.drugs.com/pro/atrovent-nasal-spray.html

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:22 am

I tried everything but the Quecetin and the Atrovent. I can mention them to the ent when I see him soon. Is Quecetin something that I can get without a script? If so where?

Thanks.

fadedgirl

Post by fadedgirl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 am

Muse: What cardio problems are you experiencing as a result of using it? Thanks!

melissa1974

Post by melissa1974 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 am

I had the cardio problems and severe rebound problems. It took me WEEKS to get off of that stuff. If you look up afrin use or addiction online you will find tons of helpful information. Please be careful in your decision. That stuff is pure evil. (But I know it works!)

akeegan

Post by akeegan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 am

I've used Afrin for years, and IMHO it's the only drug in its class that really works. It's why corporate pilots (which I was in a previous life) use it when they absolutely, positively have to fly. I've used it for a week or two at a time over the years, but I do eventually get rebound. Stopping it for a while clears that problem up, and I go back to using it if I need to. I don't think anyone has ever suffered any permanent damage from overuse of it. I sometimes still use it prior to using my APAP.

That said, Ocean brand saline-based nose spray works for some people, just not very well for me, unfortunately. And you can't overuse it and it's cheap in generic.

Regards,
Al

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 am

I used the Ocean generic from Walgreen's and didn't work for me. I switched to Ocean spay and it is 70% effective as afrin.

I have never had any problems with afrin, I have used for so many years, no smell problems, no rebounds, I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

My sinus problems are severe, so I keep it in check with Ocean, netti pot and last resource Afrin.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 am

Guest wrote:I know that it is not good to use Afrin type sprays long term. But I would be interested in hearing from some people here who do use it nightly. I am curious as to how long you have been using and what if any problems you are having.

Thanks
Gary,

Are you still using that stuff? I thought you were trying to get off of it several years ago.

I've never tried it and from the horror stories I've heard, I never would.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Fred D

Post by Fred D » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:33 am

I have been using a nightly nose spray for as long as I can remember since I got my bipap machine in 98'. Mainly Afrin. I have used a few generic brands such as Equate from Walmart and they worked ok but it seems like the nozzle section on the cheaper brands does not atomize as well as the name brand. I have lately been buying the two pack menthol Afrin at Sam's Club. I know about all the horror stories but nothing else seems to work for me and the alternative of struggling to breathe through my nose until it opens up on its own is not very comfortable and is a pain in the keaster to put up with.

Fred

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

Ever try Astepro 0.15%? (azelastine HCI) nasal spray? (Prescription only) It has some antihistimine in it but doesn't seem to have the same rebound affects as afrin. I also use daily Flonase.

My husband got very addicted to afrin, had to use more and more and it was terrible! I won't use Afrin unless all else fails and then only for 3 days.

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

grady61

Post by grady61 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am

I used afrin on and off probably close to 20 years. Had severe bouts with rebound 3 x's . Ill do anything I can before id ever put that up my nose again.

DoninOrlando

Post by DoninOrlando » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I was using Afrin daily when I started Cpap 4 months ago. I went through 3-4 weeks of rebound to get off. I now only use it if 100% blocked and getting pain from pressure. But I will not use it more than 1-2 sprays per week no matter what. I had to switch from nasal to FFM's to kick Afrin and was not able to go back. I tried neti pot, all prescription sprays, and much more. Saline sprays do not help me, including Ocean Spray.
I did find a decent way to kick Afrin if you are interested. Each time you use it, replace the few drops you used with plain saline like Ocean spray. After a few weeks you will be using mostly saline and kicked the afrin. Obviously you have to open the Afrin bottle, and drip in saline and shake before each use. Just approximate the amount used. There is a company selling this same method for around $45. (http://rhinostat.com/) They send you a bottle of afrin and bottle of saline and tell you how to do it. But they have you pour it into a measure and switch from spray to drops. This is easier. I just saved you $45.
Don

Orlando FL
Started CPAP 10-23-2009
Been using PRS-One Auto for 11 years, recalled :(
09/20/21 starting new Airsense 10 Autoset, Mirage Quattro FFM
Settings: Auto 18-20

sleepsurfer

Post by sleepsurfer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:01 pm

MUSE, WHAT KIND OF CARDIO PROBLEMS ARE YOU REFERRING TO?????