I do have a new RESMED S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DragonFire

I do have a new RESMED S9

Post by DragonFire » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 am

All,
I have been issues a new RESMED S9 last week.
After a week of test I am able to say I am very satisfied with the comfort (I am on AUTOPAP 5-10 EPR3).
The machine is extremely quiet (my wife is very happy with it too).

A few things:
-it uses a standard SD card which is not recognized by the currently available version of the software
-it does not have a wireless connection yet
-it has climate control

Climate control is a system designed to avoid "hose rain". It uses a sensor at the mask end of the hose to check the air temperature at the delivery point and adjustes the humidifier temperature to ensure you get what you set.
To work it need its own hose (which has a connector on the machine side and a sensor on the mask side) which is slimmer and extremely flexible.

It also work on standard hoses but the S9 reverts to the standar humidifier system (disables climate control).

I will answer any questions you might have but I will wait for a few to pop up so I can summarize multiple answers in a single post.
The machine (according to my DME supplier) should be available to the public in late March. I have been issued one on condition of downloading the data and provide feedback (to them but I was not prevented to do it here )

Cheers

Fabio

DreamOn

Re: I do have a new RESMED S9

Post by DreamOn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 am

DragonFire, thanks for posting that information!

I would like to know exactly what results are available via the LCD screen. Does it include AI? I saw a chart that indicates it shows AHI, pressure, leak, and Central Apnea Index (CAI), but I didn't see AI listed. To me, that's the most important number! Also, does it show daily, weekly, monthly, 6-month and yearly results, as the S8 machines do?

~ DreamOn

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 am

Do you know what the retail cost is?
When will the patient software be available?
How much for the software?

Do you have the integrated heated hose?
How does it work?

How do you position the machine w/the hose connection on the back?

How detailed is the information provided through the display?

What machines have you used to compare this to?

Thanks!
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

DragonFire

Post by DragonFire » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 am

The info I see on the LCD are quite limited: Usage, Mask Fit and AHI
You can select the period:1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month, 3 Months and if I recall correctly one year
None of the indexes you mentioned are available (I will look more into it when I go back home) those will be probably be available with the software.

I have no idea how much will it cost.
I do have the climate control hose but I am not sure it is heated, for sure has a sensor and a connector at the ends and when you connect it to the S9 (push and rotate) the machine recognize it and activates climatecontrol. It works very well and there is no condensation in the hose in the morning.

Machine is on my nightstand and the hose comes out of the back and runs ove my head no particular problems and the hose is much more flexible.

I also have a Respironics M series and a RESMED S8 Vantage. the S9 is quieter of both and the breathing confort noticeably improved on the resmed and way way better than the S8 Vantage.

Cheers

Fabio

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am

According to the data guide for the S9, the Sleep Screen Report does show AHI, AI and CAI. It looks like they omitted HI, but it probably wouldn't be very hard to calculate on the fly.

Sleep well and live better!

lilnita77

Post by lilnita77 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 am

My supplier of choice is recommending the RemStar Pro. I personally would prefer the ResMed S8 or S9 due to noise and size. Functionally, which is better?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks, Fabio! Appreciate your info about it!
I'll be interested in following your experiences with the S9 machine.

Thanks for posting the Viewing Data chart, tattooyu.
It's good to know that "daily" info and a breakdown of AHI into, at least, AI (and CAI) are both still available via the LCD.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm

lilnita77 wrote:My supplier of choice is recommending the RemStar Pro. I personally would prefer the ResMed S8 or S9 due to noise and size. Functionally, which is better?
The RemStar Pro is a discontinued model, so it sounds like they are trying to get rid of old stock. I can't comment on the functionality since I have never used any Respironics machines, but I really like my S8 (though I'd jump at the chance for an S9 if I could).

(yet another Jeff)

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Question on the S9... what is the humidifier tank like? Larger or smaller than what you have used before. Can it be fully opened to be cleaned, or is it like the stock H4i tank that you cannot open and need to clean by sloshing vinegar/water around in it?

(yet another Jeff)

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:09 pm

rested gal wrote:Thanks for posting the Viewing Data chart, tattooyu.
It's good to know that "daily" info and a breakdown of AHI into, at least, AI (and CAI) are both still available via the LCD.
Agreed. I'm glad they at least they provide most of the data on the screen. Any speculations as to why they would remove the hypopnea score from the LCD?

Unfortunately, I will have to wait four years to get my hands on one, unless I can afford to buy my own, which is doubtful. By then, they may have the S10 or S11, or...

... a cure!? <insert dramatic chipmunk music here>

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 pm

jmelby wrote:Question on the S9... what is the humidifier tank like? Larger or smaller than what you have used before. Can it be fully opened to be cleaned, or is it like the stock H4i tank that you cannot open and need to clean by sloshing vinegar/water around in it?
H5i Welcome Guide
http://tinyurl.com/ycklgmt

PST

Post by PST » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfort/en_gb/ has a great deal of information. It looks like the release date in the UK was earlier than in North America (and maybe Australia). I actually watched several videos in German before figuring out that there was an English version.

I could not find anything on the site about consumer software. I liked that fact that the memory card stores a full week of detailed information. Of course, why not more? Gigabyte USB drives cost just a few dollars now. But it is easier to remember to download on a weekly basis than a every three or four days.

As someone who travels frequently, I didn't like the giant knob on the top of the machine. It can be important in packing to be able to slip something into a limited space, and one big knob sticking out can make it difficult. I hope the knob can be pulled off and pushed back on easily.

DragonFire

Post by DragonFire » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all,
thanks to the fact it is Friday I managed to escape early.
I went to my S9 and I checked a few things.

1. data available. The only effectivenes paramter I was able to extract from the display was the AHI for last night. Also immediately available is the hours of usage for last night (when you turn off the flow generator it takes a few minutes before updating, so I get up shave and come back to check, I am sure that if you do not shave you can figure something else to do before it updates ) I am afraid the table does not reflect the machine firmware on the s9 I have.

2. The information on usage is available for different timeframes as specified above.

3. The knob is a scroll (rotate left and right) select (push it) control. Cannot be easily pulled off, but with an hacksaw ....

4. Humidifier. My impression is that the volume is smaller than the H3i and the respironics but with climate control I am using very little water and the tank is adequate (I sleep for 6.5 hrs per night and sometime I take a 1.5 nap without refilling, I love Sundays ) after 9-10 hours I still have half of it. Its is a monolitics piece (cannot be taken apart) of plastic but the DME provider told me I would get a different one in a month or two because there are known issues with it. Additionally it sits in a recess and it is hard to grab. The humidifier cover/door is awkward to close you need to slide the latch push on the cover and release the latch.

5. Consumer software. Resmed consider software a provider only item I believe, and it usually has functionalities useful for setting all flow generator paraeters, including but not limited to min and max pressure, EPR set ramp duration etc. I usually get it from CPAP.com but they told me is not yet available. The DME has it because it downloaded my SD card. They wont share

6. Comfort. I love it. I do not have had any problem to adapt to my Mirage quattro full face mask. As you can see from my picture using a mask is no news to me but the machine is so quick and responsive that I feel like it is not there both for noise and counter pressure. The only time it is opposing my breathing cycle it is if I cough of yawn with multiple flow reversals ......

I will monitor this thread for the next few days .....

Cheers

Fabio

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:H5i Welcome Guide
I did notice one thing in the H5i Welcome Guide...

If it is correct...

THE S9 USES A POWER BRICK NOW!

robmax

Post by robmax » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

tattooyu wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:H5i Welcome Guide
I did notice one thing in the H5i Welcome Guide...

If it is correct...

THE S9 USES A POWER BRICK NOW!
LOL! I pointed that out earlier in the week, but since I'm not one of the "in crowd" I was ignored.