What is an acceptable vibratory snore rate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
angela6

What is an acceptable vibratory snore rate?

Post by angela6 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I use a Liberty mask and Respironic M Auto machine with A flex.

What is considered an acceptable vibratory snore rate?

Snorkler

Re: What is an acceptable vibratory snore rate?

Post by Snorkler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57 am

I use the same machine with a different mask. My VS rate average is around 4 but I am not sure what is considered acceptable. I think as long as your AI and AHI are under 5 then the VS is not as important.

angela06

Post by angela06 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Snorkler:

Thank you for your reply. My AHI and AI rate are always under 5.

When you say your VS rate is 4, does that mean the 4 number is the different between the leak rate on the chart for the mask and the average leak as indicated on the Encore Viewer report?

Angela6

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Angela.....

Unless your snoring disturbes someone else, it is of no consequence....provided you're getting enough O2 while sleeping. One should maintain 93% blood O2 saturation levels...all night...for good health.

Snoring is generally an indication that one is not getting enough O2....because the snoring indicates an obstruction between the lungs and the outside world.

So....i suspect that the only way you can answer your question is to determine what your O2 levels are....while sleeping...by using a recording oximeter with software.

Gerald

track

Post by track » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 am

I haven't found much correlation between the snoring index on my machine and AHI. Sometimes my snoring index is high(20) and AHI is low(1) and sometimes AHI is high(4) and snoring is low (2). In addition, when I was using a Resmed machine, snoring wasn't even reported so I have to ask myself how important it is....obviously resmed placed all it's marbles in the AHI index. Even on those nights when my snoring index is high my wife says I am not audibly snoring ....and she has rabbit ears so I tend to believe AHI is what a person needs to focus on.

Velbor

Post by Velbor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm

The issue is not so much what the VS number is (and you only get the information with a Respironics machine - with ResMed you need a ResLink module to get the information). VS is simply a "possible precursor" of hypopnea or apnea.

The issue is whether (a) the pressure provided by a fixed-pressure CPAP machine adequately prevents excessive respiratory events, regardless of VS, or (b) the algorithm provided by an auto-adjusting APAP appropriately responds to Vibratory Snore to prevent excessive respiratory events.

The "appropriately responds" issue for an APAP can be a bit complex, because different masks (or at least different mask types) have been shown to produce very different (Respironics) VS numbers. It is not clear whether the VS is "produced" by the mask (i.e. an artifact), or whether a person may actually have different "snore" patterns depending on the mask type. Some users also claim that "hose rubbing" causes VS artifacts.

In any case, there is a potential problem that machine recording of VS "artifact" events may trigger excessive and unnecesary APAP pressure increases, potentially leading to "runaway" pressure rises, particularly if the maximum pressure is left wide open. I have encountered this rarely with Respironics machines, but never with ResMed machines.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm a simple man and very much a noob at all of this so I'm just speaking from my experience. I find when my VS goes over 5 my sleep suffers. I switched to APAP and had to raise my lower pressure, even though my AHI were low, just to lower my VS because I was feeling the difference in the morning.

I think my VS causes arousal's and my sleep suffers. Just a theory, but my wife says that I am more restless on the nights I snore badly. So for me VS are important. Once again just my theory.

Snorkler

Post by Snorkler » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:09 pm

angela06 wrote:Snorkler:

Thank you for your reply. My AHI and AI rate are always under 5.

When you say your VS rate is 4, does that mean the 4 number is the different between the leak rate on the chart for the mask and the average leak as indicated on the Encore Viewer report?

Angela6
Angela6,

My VS rate is 4 as stated on the report that is generated by the Encore Pro software.

Prowest

Post by Prowest » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:39 am

Imacpaper wrote:I'm a simple man and very much a noob at all of this so I'm just speaking from my experience. I find when my VS goes over 5 my sleep suffers. I switched to APAP and had to raise my lower pressure, even though my AHI were low, just to lower my VS because I was feeling the difference in the morning.

I think my VS causes arousal's and my sleep suffers. Just a theory, but my wife says that I am more restless on the nights I snore badly. So for me VS are important. Once again just my theory.
Noob here too (and my first post!), but I have been a CPAP uses for some time and have lurked on this board for a while (very informative bunch here...nice job all!). Anyway, I have been wondering about the VS index as well. I have a M-series Pro with C-Flex set at 8cm. On a typical night, my AHI is below 2.0 and usually below 1.0, and I cannot complain...when I use my CPAP I typically feel pretty good the next morning, but my VS index is all over the map. What I have noticed is that on nights when I have had a couple alcoholic drinks my VS index goes up significantly and I feel like I have been snoring in my throat and on the roof of my mouth.

I just ordered the Resmed S9 AutoSet unit...the M-series unit I got was pretty loud and I am hoping that this is a step up in terms of less noise, but I am also hoping that the Auto feature will help to address the snoring as well...any thoughts on this? As I am reading the posts, I am thinking it might not since it seems that the VS index is a Respironics convention and not one that Resmed uses, but I may be assuming too much from what I am reading?

bobkomas

Let's talk about good music

Post by bobkomas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:25 pm

I love music like "Queen". What about you?

Kicafrierge

Post by Kicafrierge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am

Hello. And Bye.

sbobetsbobet

Thanks i love is your topic

Post by sbobetsbobet » Sun May 01, 2011 11:35 am

I love This Website, This Website has good Content.

Hartiorrql

There is a problem

Post by Hartiorrql » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all

Kaylea

oIsYdvCanq

Post by Kaylea » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Wait, I cnoant fathom it being so straightforward.

Kaylea

oIsYdvCanq

Post by Kaylea » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Wait, I cnoant fathom it being so straightforward.