Windows 7 installation issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Windows 7 installation issues

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Need help installing Windows XP Virtual Mode on Windows 7...Can anyone help? (I posted this on another thread, but realized it may be "hijacking", or get lost in that thread, so I'm starting a new one for it).

My husband installed Windows 7 Professional on my computer. When he tries to install Windows XP mode, the install tool says that my computer, which is a Gateway DX, is not set up correctly in the bios to do hardware virtualization. When he goes to the bios setup, as instructed, it appears as if hardware virtualization is activated.

He tried to use VMWare, but when he tried to open a new virtual machine, he doesn't have a .iso file. How does he use VMWare to open a virtual Windows XP mode?

Obviously I need to resolve this if I'm going to ever be able to read my PR System One data...

Thanks!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

FinceMgr

Re: Windows 7 installation issues

Post by FinceMgr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:43 pm

When using VMware you will need to install a copy of windows XP into the VMware machine. I have done this with a separate XP disk (or .iso file) but have read others have done it by downloading XP mode from the micosoft site. The hold up you may be experiencing with Windows Virtual Machine may be related to not all Intel processors being supported see this to verify yours is : http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

SleepingUgly wrote:Need help installing Windows XP Virtual Mode on Windows 7...Can anyone help? (I posted this on another thread, but realized it may be "hijacking", or get lost in that thread, so I'm starting a new one for it).

My husband installed Windows 7 Professional on my computer. When he tries to install Windows XP mode, the install tool says that my computer, which is a Gateway DX, is not set up correctly in the bios to do hardware virtualization. When he goes to the bios setup, as instructed, it appears as if hardware virtualization is activated.

He tried to use VMWare, but when he tried to open a new virtual machine, he doesn't have a .iso file. How does he use VMWare to open a virtual Windows XP mode?

Obviously I need to resolve this if I'm going to ever be able to read my PR System One data...

Thanks!