Respironics System One Humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bear100

Respironics System One Humidifier

Post by Bear100 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 am

FYI - issues with Respironics System One Humidifier.

I have had my Respironics System One Pro C-Flex+ and System One Heated Humidifier for about 45 days. Seemed to work fine, no major issues, was small and quiet. I even liked the fact that the humidifier was integrated and required no additional electrical plugs. I went to refill the humidifier one day, and noticed it was nearly full. I had turned off the humidifier light indicator as it bothered me. I then changed the setting for the humidifier light, turned on the CPAP and found a blinking light for the humidifier. I followed the Respironics guide (unplug the machine, unplug the humidifier, put everything back and try again), with no luck.

Called the DME, got the head of the department, he told me: it should not be failing it simply too new, but he had seen a high number of failures of these. He had even discussed it with Respironics, and they were aware of the issues and working on a fix. He got me a new one the next day - a good DME is important.

Bear100

riveredge1

Re: Respironics System One Humidifier

Post by riveredge1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

I just sent a pr1 machine and humidifier back to company --i have had it since Dec o9----- the humidifier stopped working or hardly worked-then the lite in the box quit working and after letting it set and right before shipping i tried it again and plugged it in and nothing but the humid lite was on--the dial would not change the number and when i pushed the button the air didnt come on--seemed it just kept breaking and shutting down more--i am so glad i had a back up machine----now--do i trust this NEW machine down the road?????? Going to get a back up for my backup--i also see the pr 1 cheap on cpapauction so what does that say now?????

Bear100

Post by Bear100 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 am

My DME states, Respironics makes good equipment in general. This is a relatively new machine, and sometimes they just don't have everything worked out. If it fails again, we will get you a new one, and we keep following up with Respironics since we don't want the failure of these machines as well.

Bear100

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Weird... Good to know.

I've had mine since October and haven't had any problems yet. I've also flown on planes with it twice since then, so its had its fair share of getting bumped around and moved and stuff.

Would either of you be able to think of anything out of the ordinary that may have happened to your machines since you got them?

Also, do you have surge protectors? or do you just plug it directly into the wall?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Geeze! You'd think that especially since it's a completely new design, and after the took-three-redesigns to fix their fiasco with the previous Respironics M series humidifiers, they (Respironics) would test better, longer, more thoroughly.... oh well.

I'll say what I've said many a time. If I were buying a "cpap" machine, I'd NOT buy the integrated humidifier for it. Not for any brand of cpap. I'd get a separate Fisher & Paykel HC 150 heated humidifier. Works great with any brand of machine.

For the very little extra amount of space the F&P humidifier takes up at home or in packing for travel, compared to the space an integrated one is going to take up anyway, the benefits and year-after-year reliability of the separate F&P humidifier are wonderful. That's what I prefer anyway...just my opinion.

Sorry you've had those troubles with the PR System One humidifier, bear and river. That's not good.

And this, unfortunately, sounds like "M Series fiasco" redux, even though it's a different kind of problem than the M's had:
Bear100 wrote:Called the DME, got the head of the department, he told me: it should not be failing it simply too new, but he had seen a high number of failures of these. He had even discussed it with Respironics, and they were aware of the issues and working on a fix.

Bear100 speaking of his DME wrote:He got me a new one the next day - a good DME is important.
You're lucky that you do have a DME who is a good'un, Bear.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've had mine since October too. I travel with it about 3 times per month, 1/2 the trips by air, 1/2 by car, and so far no problems, but I will keep an eye on it.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 pm

My PR System One humidifier light started blinking a couple of weeks ago. I took it in and my DME touched her hand to the heater plate and it didn't warm up. They swapped it out. In hindsight, I think the humidifier never worked right. I had very little experience when I got it, only a short time with the M series, but when I got the PR System One, I thought that it seemed to spray cold mist into my nose, at least when I first turned it on. Now that I have a new humidifier, it doesn't do that and actually feels generally warm.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Bear100

Post by Bear100 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Well, i do like the integrated CPAP and humidifer - less space, one less electrical cord, very compact.

I do not like the quality issues.

As far as care goes for the equipment, I have 2 whole house heavy duty surge protectors (long story), and we have not had an electrical disturbance since I got the machine. No other electrical equipment in the house has failed during that time. I think I can rule our electrical faults. It was never moved from its spot by my bed since day one - no travel. All I did is put water in it every day. So I can't imagine it was anything I did. The DME was clear, it is a Respironics issue. Luckly the DME stands by patients, not the equipment vendors nor insurance. It took me several DME experiences to get one that cares.

Bear100

linda12345

Post by linda12345 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am

i am new to the CPAP world and have the Respironics system one humidifier. I am confused as to the the amount of humidity that I should be aware of. Basically, very little or no water is used from the water compartment and I do not feel any moisture in the tubing or the nose piece. I have used the setting of 3 or 4. Tonight I will try 5. I am assuming that the higher the number the more humidity. Is that right?

Should I see any moisture in the tube? I am in the midwest and it is very humid here; I sleep with the windows open so there is a lot of humidity in the air already. Would that be why I do not see any moisture?

thanks for your help,
linda

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 am

In a humid situation, not much water will be used at night. The humidifier with the System One is designed to compensate for and adjust to humid conditions.

You should not see any moisture in the tube either, because of the new design.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 am

Since Oct '09 I have sold 183 PR1's, not a single return for a faulty humidifier yet.....infact not a single return yet.
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Mine seems to work fine, but I have had an issue with rainout at a setting of 4 and after I removed the Aussie hose thinking it would not be needed. After I returned to using the Aussie hose, no more rainout. Respironics should consider a fix to their performance hose with an embedded heated coil, similar to the Resmed heated tube.

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Paul B,

Go into your "clinical setup" menu and make sure the "System One Humidification" is set to "ON". By default it is set to "OFF", without it turned on you will be using the humidifier in the normal mode and it will act the same as older humidifiers.
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I took it in and my DME touched her hand to the heater plate and it didn't warm up. They swapped it out. In hindsight, I think the humidifier never worked right. I had very little experience when I got it, only a short time with the M series, but when I got the PR System One, I thought that it seemed to spray cold mist into my nose, at least when I first turned it on. Now that I have a new humidifier, it doesn't do that and actually feels generally warm.
Hmmm, my humidifier seems to be working OK, but the plate does not warm up and the air coming from it is cold. Not much water is used. We are not in an area of high humidity, but it's not desert dry, either. I never get any rainout in the tube--my setting is generally "2".

Not sure if it really works well or not--seems to, as I don't experience the dryness I was having before I had a humidifier.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

el_zorro

Post by el_zorro » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Now that it is summer in most areas in the US, you will find that the amount of water that a PR System One uses now is dramatically less since it uses a humidity sensor as well as the temperature control to regulate the heat of the plate. I have found that little or no water is used when the room (relative) humidity is high. You shouldnt be seeing droplets in your mask or hose at any time as this is close to a rain out situation and is not needed for the air to be comfortable to breath. If the lights are blinking and this is a trouble indicator then the DME should repair or replace it for you. I think the PR System One does a great job and is rock solid as good as any other integrated humidifier on the market today.