How many hours should CPAP be worn per night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
terrydk

Re: How many hours should CPAP be worn per night?

Post by terrydk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 am

Scarlet834 wrote:I've been wondering where the 4 hours comes from (other than being an insurance hurdle). Is it some deluded thought that 4 hours good sleep a night will sustain people? On the other hand, I am typically (though not always) hit hard around 3-5 am presumably in REM. So, in theory a crazy system of slapping a mask on my face around 1am every day might actually keep me in normal range. But who wants to live like that?
This four hours deal is undoubtedly being debated so much due to the insurance carrier guidelines. When I had my last appointment with my sleep doctor last month he made the comment that the insurance company wants to see a consistent minimum of 4 hours per night. I had some issues in late December with my sinus's so there was about 2 weeks that I had minimal or no usage so he was making the insurance comment for that reason. I have since been able to consistently get 6-7 hours each night and can tell it is making a difference.