Finally Ordered Smart Card Reader!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Judy R

Finally Ordered Smart Card Reader!

Post by Judy R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 am

I've finally ordered my card reader! I can barely wait until it gets here! Now I can take complete charge of my Therapy!!!!

BleepingBeauty

Re: Finally Ordered Smart Card Reader!

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Judy R wrote: I've finally ordered my card reader! I can barely wait until it gets here! Now I can take complete charge of my Therapy!!!!
Congrats, Judy! Seeing your data in graphs really gives you the ability to make your therapy as effective as possible. Good move!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm excited for you, Judy!

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks guys. I'm so looking forward to being able to see how I've done, and how I'm doing. You guys have been such a huge help in helping make my decision. You guys are the best!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Which software will you be using? Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:03 pm

I must be an odd little bunny! I don't have one don't plan to own a smart card reader. Don't see the point of it. Can someone please explain the point of the smart card reader? To me it's just a waste of my time and money.
stop the bull the cow is dead!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 pm

thewetlizard wrote:I must be an odd little bunny! I don't have one don't plan to own a smart card reader. Don't see the point of it. Can someone please explain the point of the smart card reader? To me it's just a waste of my time and money.
We-ell.... you're welcome to your POV. However, as it happened, my titration didn't take into account the fact that I really, really needed my exhalation pressure lower than my inhalation pressure.

Without a card reader and software, I'd've known I was waking up, struggling to breathe out against the machine, with what I thought were apneas, but I'd've had no way to determine that they were, in fact, apneas.

As it was, I could note the time of my awakening, and then, the next morning, trot up front and look at my card data and see what was happening at the time of my awakening(s).

By doing this, I was able to determine that I was, in fact, having apneas. And because they were occuring when I was struggling to breathe out, I thought they might be centrals. (I had a number of them in my titration.)

So I was able to call the RT, explain that I thought my exhalation pressure was too high, and request a change. She listened to what I told her about the read-outs, agreed with my reasoning, called my doc, and got my prescription changed. THen she walked me through changing the settings over the phone.

Know what? Those apneas were gone. Only time they've returned is high-stress situations like my mother's death.

But without the card reader and software, I might still be battling too high an EPAP 15 months after I got my machine. Instead, we solved the problem, and I've been having good therapy since about my eleventh day.

I'm sure others will chime in on why they think software and a card reader is essential. But that's my take on it.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 pm

I finally ordered my card reader too! CPAP.com cannot deliver Resmed products to Canada, which is unfortunate, but I was able to find another place on line for a similar price but higher delivery fees. Hopefully it will arrive within 2 weeks.
Anyway, I still wake up several times per night, so I am anxious to see what my data says. Apparently I had several centrals during my sleep study, I hope I don't need to change my machine.

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Goofproof wrote:Which software will you be using? Jim

I'm going to use the Encore Viewer 1.0. That's the software that won't erase the card. I also got a new card so once I down load three years worth of data, I'll put in the new card and start fresh, if that makes any sense .

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

thewetlizard wrote:I must be an odd little bunny! I don't have one don't plan to own a smart card reader. Don't see the point of it. Can someone please explain the point of the smart card reader? To me it's just a waste of my time and money.

For me, it's not a waste of time, nor money. I want it because the Dr. I currently have, hasn't checked the data on my machine in three years. That's how long I've been on CPAP therapy, so to me that says she's just doesn't give a hoot! Hence the reason for getting the smart card reader. I can take and see if I'm having any apnea's or anything else. No body is going to take care of me, except me! I'm changing Dr.'s too, so I want to have the data. The DME isn't going to do it, they see no reason to down load the data for me, they said that I don't need it. I have this one body and this one life, and I'm going to do all that I can do to take care of ME!

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Judy..you go girl!! I'm right behind ya.

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:07 am

Ms.Snuffleupagus wrote:Judy..you go girl!! I'm right behind ya.

Cobalt Panther

Post by Cobalt Panther » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:58 am

Judy R wrote: I have this one body and this one life, and I'm going to do all that I can do to take care of ME!
Judy,
You are so right! The software and card reader allow you to know what is going on with your therapy. Honestly, if you don't care then why should the Dr.? I understand that some people don't need to be this hands on with their therapy and to each his own. I love being able to see what is happening. What is working and what needs more adjustment. Maybe it is my OCD peaking through.
Also, I love your large font. Makes it so easy to read. It also made me realize that I could change my font. Learn something new everyday.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 am

Judy R wrote:I have this one body and this one life, and I'm going to do all that I can do to take care of ME!
I have said this before and I will say it again: I live in my body. No one knows it better than I do. I may consult a medical practitioner for advice, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE tells me what I can or cannot do.

That includes getting the information I need to make informed decisions about my health!

Go for it, Judy!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 am

Awwwwwwww, thanks you guys for the pat on the back, the encouragement, and support. It means a lot to me. You guys are the BEST!