Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Re: Ping: S.U. - How to Loop Scrunchies

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:34 pm

rested gal wrote:BB, guess what? Your elegant little fix earned you one of these:

As well as a place on the Lab Rat Awards page, in the Hybrid fixes section.

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104

Congrats!
Wow! Thanks, RG! Image

I'm surprised and honored to have found a place amongst other "fixers" on the forum, each of whom has made therapy a little easier for many others.

(And my sincere thanks to WhiteBeard for his very original and creative idea. His innovation allows me to use a mask that I really like. )
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Muse, so is the knot in the middle of the two scrunchies (the mid-point of the "figure 8") dead center at the base of the pillows? (Trying to figure out if I'm doing it right).
Muse-Inc wrote:I use 2 small covered ponytail scrunchies looped together a la BB's pics above (thanks BB!). Each loop goes inside the upper strap that attaches to the plastic shell to make another strap, this one goes in front of the mask on the outside of the pillows applying for me the ideal pressure to keep the pillows in place.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:Muse, so is the knot in the middle of the two scrunchies (the mid-point of the "figure 8") dead center at the base of the pillows? (Trying to figure out if I'm doing it right).
YES! The manual to the digital camera disappeared before I ever saw it and I've never used the camera...found an online manual and will figure out how to use the camera, get pics into PC via USB, and get some pics posted. This from someone who took Nikons' traveling school class, was a Kodachrome junkie, rented darkroom time and printed my own Cibachromes, and was lauded for my photographic abilities...so sad what level I've fallen to I am not going to drag out my old Olympus 35 mm SLR, lenses, & floods, then try to get those images digitized...not living on unemployment

Last edited by Muse-Inc on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:Muse, so is the knot in the middle of the two scrunchies (the mid-point of the "figure 8") dead center at the base of the pillows? (Trying to figure out if I'm doing it right).
YES! Manual to digital camera disappeared before I ever saw it and I've never used it, so I'm found a manual and will figure out how to use it and get some pics posted. This from someone who took Nikons' traveling school course and was lauded for my photographic abilities...so sad what level I've fallen to
I think I understand without a picture... You have the middle of the figure 8 in front of the pillows and the "top" and "bottom" of the figure 8 are each attached to the top strap at the place where it connects by the white plastic piece with the keyhole slot. Is that right?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:...You have the middle of the figure 8 in front of the pillows and the "top" and "bottom" of the figure 8 are each attached to the top strap at the place where it connects by the white plastic piece with the keyhole slot. Is that right?
Yup! One loop of this new strap goes thru the top strap that connects the the hard plastic shell on one side and the other loop to the other strap.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:35 pm

S.U.

I used pillows masks the first few months of my therapy. I didn't have a red spot, but I developed raw sores in my nostrils. My doctor advised me to stop using the pillows masks and stop cpap until my nostrils were completely healed. He recommended changing to a F & P heated humidificatiion system to use asa my nares healed. ozji encouraged me to do what I had to to get them to heal, and they did. I recently asked my Dr if I could use them again, he said after my experience he would tell me to never use pillows again..

I hope all goes well for you.

Jan

AirBreather

Post by AirBreather » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm

SaltLakeJan wrote:S.U.

I used pillows masks the first few months of my therapy. I didn't have a red spot, but I developed raw sores in my nostrils.
I had a similar experience with nasal pillows many years ago. I had used other types of masks for years, but decided to try nasal pillows. It didn't take a few months for sores to develop in my nostrils. I had them after two or three nights. I haven't used nasal pillows since and have no interest in trying them again.

Last edited by AirBreather on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:25 pm

2-3 nights after starting nasal pillows is probable when most of us see red marks, sensitivity, etc. My nose felt sore after 2 or 3 nights. My RT told me to stop for 2-3 nights and let it heal. "No use developing a pressrue sore" is what she said. So I took that break (didn't need 3 nights) and have been using nasal pillows happily ever since that break. This was almost 5 years ago.

Nobody's nose is used to being touched all night long - the important thing is to stop when sensitivity starts, not let sored develop.

Too much pressure will cause redness and pain, even after you get used to the pillows - too much pressure should be avoided - it means the pillows size, or headgear setup (or both) are wrong.

Jan, I would trust the doctor.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023