Beards and masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ILMD

Beards and masks

Post by ILMD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:00 pm

I have a goatee and found that the mask I tried was no good because it didn't fit snuggly because of the beard. It was the full face mask. I tested others as well but the full face was the best although not perfect. Has anyone successfully used a cpap mask with a beard? I would hate to have to shave it off.

Wulfman

Re: Beards and masks

Post by Wulfman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 pm

ILMD wrote:I have a goatee and found that the mask I tried was no good because it didn't fit snuggly because of the beard. It was the full face mask. I tested others as well but the full face was the best although not perfect. Has anyone successfully used a cpap mask with a beard? I would hate to have to shave it off.
Sometimes egos have to take a back seat to this therapy.
You didn't say which mask, but there may be others that would work.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RedBackFur

Post by RedBackFur » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:11 am

This is a Common thread on there. I have have a thick beard and mustache. The beard has no issues with my mask, the mustache has to be thinned just a bit so my mask doesn't leak. Give the Mirage Activa LT a try, as it has been great for me.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 am

Goatee and mustache here. Swift LT pillows work ok.

rjjayrt

Post by rjjayrt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 am

For a person with a beard the only FFM I can think of that might work would be the FlexiFit 431 by F&P. The lower jaw actually sits inside the mask, as I said it might work with a goat

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 am

Full beard here. Use the Swift LT nasal pillow but I also have managed to get a Liberty mask (for backup to sinus congestion) to work ok.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 am

I have a very full and most of the time quite bushy beard and I have successfully used the UMFF since day one.
"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

coffeedrinker

Post by coffeedrinker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 am

rjjayrt wrote:For a person with a beard the only FFM I can think of that might work would be the FlexiFit 431 by F&P. The lower jaw actually sits inside the mask, as I said it might work with a goat
Goatee and mustache owner here, using the F&P 431 as my first FFM, (actually my only mask), about 95 days on CPAP. The lower jaw does fit inside the mask. I've had mixed feelings about this mask, although I should repeat that this is my first mask...

I do sleep on my stomach, using a pillow as a "shelf" for my face. For the most part I've had pretty good luck with the 431, but my leaks from day to day are up and down. I generally start out with a pretty low/none leak rate, but as the night goes on, I think that I'm rolling around enough that I create leaks. I would recommend giving the 431 a try, it's not as pricey as some of the other FFM's out there, and 431 does provide 3 sizes of cushions. As a newbie, I was unsure about sizing and so this mask seemed to be a good first try. I recently got replacement cushions, rather than trying a new and different mask, so I suppose overall I'm happy with it although I would like to try other masks. Regardless, the 431 would make a great backup, (for me anyway).

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 am

I have a full beard and had large leak issues with the F&P Forma and the Respironics FullLife (but who doesn't have leak problems with THAT mask??) I have had success with the ComfortGel FullFace Mask, but I do have to have it on a little tight for comfort to stop leaking... I only use it as a back-up mask for when I'm congested. I never have leak problems with my Activa LT nasal mask.

(yet another Jeff)

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 pm

In my experience clean shaven is best.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

wiles01

Post by wiles01 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:07 pm

I just started using my CPAP after about a year and a half hiatus...

Figured I would just avoid the problems from the get go, beard and moustache disappeared last night.

I use a full face mask (mouth breather) and had problems with leakage around the chin area before (one of the reasons I discontinued use).

Last night was perfect. Best night of sleep I've had in a long time.

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:17 pm

SHAVE!

RedBackFur

Post by RedBackFur » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm

sagesteve wrote:SHAVE!
Sagesteve,

Many of us have had beards for most of our lives, and may not want to shave them off. This is why he asked the question in the first place. You are not really contributing to this thread by telling him to shave it off.

robrdavis

Post by robrdavis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 am

I use a ffm and have a mustache and goatee and the only time I had any serious leak problems was when I shaved them off! That, and the mask caused me to break out where it came in contact with my newly bare skin. The only place that I have problems with leakage is on either side of my nose, just below my eyes. You might want to consider using remzzzs mask liners. I know that they're a tremendous help in warmer weather when I sweat at night.

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:00 am

Redback fur...we live in a MODERN society! Grow up and stop hiding behind a beard. Not shaving is just plain LAZY!! Al-Qaeda doesn't shave either.