Philips Respironics Launches BiPAP autoSV Advanced Sleep Sys

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mhsmith

Re: Philips Respironics Launches BiPAP autoSV Advanced Sleep Sys

Post by Mhsmith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:46 pm

I have a new BiPAP as of Nov 29, 2013. Today is Dec. 20, I am now on my fourth water reservoir and need a new one because of leakage. I have never dropped one. I do not shove nor yank the tank out nor in. I wait several hours for the machine to cool down before removing. I use room temp. distilled water only. I clean the tank daily with only mild dish soap and warm water. Never use any brushes, air dry on a clean towel. My husband took care of this fourth tank and it is once again leaking water, even faster than the past ones. I have been weekly to my rep. Took the whole machine in over and over. Checked by my rep and local Mercy Hospital.
What in the world is going on? I am desperate for this course of therapy to work so I can just get some rest and maybe have a life again.
There are hair line fractures in the bottom plastic. My settings have been checked and re-checked. The BiPAP sets on a lower wooden bedside table, level, no cloth. My table and rug are now ruined by the water. I did not realize at first the water was leaking .
The first tank leaked around the heating plate.
The second had fractures on the left back corner.
The third have fractures at the front.
This fourth has fractures along the bottom at the back corner.???? Say What?
Do I need a new humidifier section?
Has any one else had such a trial with the water tank?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 pm

An old old thread. But there is lots of good info on basic principles.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:55 am

my autosv keeps SPARKING when I plug it into a 230V outlet I think while travelling in a backpacker hostel. anyway the conditions are terrible here, terrible pollution everything smells of sewage, and my asthma hasn't improved.
if I use my bipap auto sv phillips on a 230V outlet while travelling in Asia with alternating at 50 cycles a second is that going to damage my $6000 machine? I think I blew out my oxygen concentrator already and it chugs and doesn't start up even with a converter
18/14 bipap st

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:32 am

How sad; power supply can be unpredictable in some countries,
especially in "budget" accommodations.
I hope your trip was otherwise enjoyable.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:24 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:my autosv keeps SPARKING when I plug it into a 230V outlet I think while travelling in a backpacker hostel. anyway the conditions are terrible here, terrible pollution everything smells of sewage, and my asthma hasn't improved.
if I use my bipap auto sv phillips on a 230V outlet while travelling in Asia with alternating at 50 cycles a second is that going to damage my $6000 machine? I think I blew out my oxygen concentrator already and it chugs and doesn't start up even with a converter
Again, this is a really old thread (not sure why you posted your info here)...but it's too bad about those weird electrical current problems in Asia. On the plus side, you seem well enough to travel, SWA, so that's an improvement from several months ago when you were so miserable on CPAP/ASV therapy, or so it would appear from past posts. You're braver than I am; I don't think I'd be willing to take either of my ASV machines to non-urban parts of Asia, hell, I'd even be nervous going to Europe

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:34 am

It's good you are up to traveling. It really shows an improvement.
Better luck on your next voyage.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 pm

SWA, you may want to consider a portable power conditioner on your next trip. They are meant to take ugly power and adjust it so sensitive electronics aren't damaged by spikes/dips/cycle variation, etc... Really nice converters have them built in to an extent, but most don't, so it just converts dirty/bad power into a different type of dirty/bad power for your machine and medical devices in particular tend to do quite poorly with ugly power being provided to them. You can get everything from out of spec behavior to outright failure and even irreversible damage to your machine. Electronics only have so much tolerance built into them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:50 pm

sickwithapnea17 wrote:my autosv keeps SPARKING when I plug it into a 230V outlet I think while travelling in a backpacker hostel. anyway the conditions are terrible here, terrible pollution everything smells of sewage, and my asthma hasn't improved.
check the electrical requirements on the bottom of the brick, they should be anywhere between 100-240 v and 50-60hz

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:05 am

phillips says on its site that I think 250v is the maximum range but I think I destroyed my oxygen concentrator when I plugged it in without a converter. now it won't start up at all. my computer also runs really hot and may be damaged by the different voltage cycle. I don't know if I can even bring my oxygen concentrator back to be repaired since they are charging me an extra fee on the airline.
anyway it's been a terible miserable trip I tried gentamicin shots and then got a terrible chest infection/bronchitis and I was robbed for a lot of money
18/14 bipap st

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:phillips says on its site that I think 250v is the maximum range but I think I destroyed my oxygen concentrator when I plugged it in without a converter. now it won't start up at all.
the autosv has a switching power supply which is very forgiving as to it's mains power, accepting a wide range.

things with motors in them, like oxygen concentrators, are typically much stricter, always check the power requirements on the device. look on your concentrator to see what it needed. same with your computer.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 pm

am I really safe with a converter with my $6000 philips asv if the voltage is 250V 50 cycles? The power cord keeps sparking when I plug it in without a converter.
I think I destroyed my precious oxygen concentrator by plugging it into an Asian outlet, it chugs for a few seconds but doesn't start up.
Can the O2 concentrator be repaired? Maybe I might have to buy a less good pulse oxygen concentrator online for 400.
my pulmonologist says there's a new asv model out I don't know if he meant the AVAPS which may be more geared towards hypopneas.
18/14 bipap st

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 pm

sickwithapnea17 wrote:am I really safe with a converter with my $6000 philips asv if the voltage is 250V 50 cycles? The power cord keeps sparking when I plug it in without a converter.
I think I destroyed my precious oxygen concentrator by plugging it into an Asian outlet, it chugs for a few seconds but doesn't start up.
Can the O2 concentrator be repaired? Maybe I might have to buy a less good pulse oxygen concentrator online for 400.
my pulmonologist says there's a new asv model out I don't know if he meant the AVAPS which may be more geared towards hypopneas.
go with whatever is on the voltage plate of whatever you have.

where does it spark, at the plug? it'll do that sometimes on 110v. *shrug*

as to your oxygen concentrator, what does IT say on the power requirements label?

the one here is 120v only.

btw, the autosv sells for more like 3500, list price. not sure who robbed you.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:23 am

I'm really scared my Invacare Oxygen concentrator which is designed for 120 V and I think it's 60Hz sparked and I smelled burning when I plugged it into a 250V outlet in Asia. And I got a transformer for 110V but now the concentrator keeps shutting off every minute even on the transformer.......I think I'm going to die without it. I'm not sure if it's still pumping out 100% O2 anymore, I see the green I/O light and then a big long beep and a red sound. I think I damaged it and it's not pumping out O2 anymore there is some airflow.

I plugged it into a 250V outlet and then there was burning and beeping and the long white button stuck out like when you have a power failure. Now it's stopping every minute and beeping and the red phone light keeps coming on....
18/14 bipap st

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:I'm really scared my Invacare Oxygen concentrator which is designed for 120 V and I think it's 60Hz sparked and I smelled burning when I plugged it into a 250V outlet in Asia. And I got a transformer for 110V but now the concentrator keeps shutting off every minute even on the transformer.......I think I'm going to die without it. I'm not sure if it's still pumping out 100% O2 anymore, I see the green I/O light and then a big long beep and a red sound. I think I damaged it and it's not pumping out O2 anymore there is some airflow.

I plugged it into a 250V outlet and then there was burning and beeping and the long white button stuck out like when you have a power failure. Now it's stopping every minute and beeping and the red phone light keeps coming on....
I'm sorry, but plugging a 110v motor (which is in a concentrator) into a 250v outlet will almost certainly burn out various components.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:53 am

it's still running now, I don't know if it's pumping out oxygen or not. but the beep and long red light might mean that the oxygen isn't at high purity anymore. I hope that the oxygen company will pay to have it repaired. and on top of it I lost my ASV plug and felt really sick the last 2 days without ASV and have to use this fit life mask.
anyone think the fit life mask sucks and the amara type masks are much better? but I keep taking off the mask every night on amara at 18cm it seems and the fit life puts pressure on my eyes which are damaged as it is from glaucoma
18/14 bipap st