Mark's - CPAP Pro 'No Mask' Thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SuperGeeky

Re: Mark's - CPAP Pro 'No Mask' Thread

Post by SuperGeeky » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 pm

One of the greatest hurdles to using the CPAP Pro is the 'Boil and Bite'. It takes time to relax, sleep comfortably and effortlessly with the 'Boil and Bite' in your mouth.

Some folks prefer having a Dentist fit the 'Boil and Bite'. I found, simply by following the instructions, it wasn't too bad. And, you can redo the 'Boil and Bite' if you didn't succeed the first time.

Will it hurt?? If you have ever burnt your gums on hot pizza, that's about the worst of it. You might feel discomfort for a day or so... If you followed the instructions, took the 'Boil and Bite' out at the right temperature, everything should be OK.

It's important to keep the 'Boil and Bite' clamped down tightly, as much as you can tolerate for the alloted time. And, using a lot of patience, very gently remove the 'Boil and Bite'. If you did it correctly, it will take a little time to break the suction by slightly putting pressure at various points.

Reattach the apparatus to the 'Boil and Bite', affix to your teeth. Open your mouth to check if the 'Boil and Bite' will slip out of your mouth. You'll feel gravity pull on it and a slight slipping sensation, but it should hold if done properly.

Be sure to snip off excess 'goo' and save it for the future. Snipping off the 'goo' adds to the comfort and the 'Boil and Bite' working effectively.

To save money, I tried 'Sports' Boil and Bites at Sports Authority. Nawda, couldn't get it to work!! If someone get's it to work, let me know. Parts to the Cpap Pro cannot be substituted. Best to get the monthly maintenance plan! The Cpap Pro will wear out, like any other mask.

Mark aka SG

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Saliva - Manufacturer claims over a short period of time, saliva production in the mouth will cease to be excessive.

After, several months of continuous use, I can comfortably say that excessive saliva is not a problem. I can turn my head into the pillow and not have the uncomfortable feeling of saliva soaking the pillow.

Matter of fact, once getting over the hurdle of excessive saliva, I feel the boil and bite works more effectively. Excessive saliva seems to make it difficult for the boil and bite to have the proper suction to hold the NoMask in place.

With less saliva, it now takes a moment or two longer to pry the boil and bite out. And, since the boil and bite is holding tighter, I can put less pressure on my lower jaw with the PapCap.

The Manufacturer claims that the boil and bite causes the patient to bite down and not open their mouth while sleeping. I think this is true when the boil and bite is working effectively with the right amount of saliva. The Papcap acts as a gentle backup for mouth breathing.

When all these components are working in unison, I wake up with little or no discomfort. Pressure points are at best, described as null. However, if the boil and bite is not fitting in a natural way, clenching teeth can cause discomfort. Effort and patience maybe extraordinary for the CpapPro compared to other masks, but it pays off with excellent sleep, little discomfort and low leaks.

SG

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks for that update. Have you had any problems with TMJ or shifting teeth since using this mask?

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 am

As far as the 'Boil and Bite' are concerned, no. Papcap, I've put it on a little too snug, muscles back of jaw are little sore. I don't toss or turn too much, so the CPap Pro stays static.

What helps a lot, running the hose through the loop at the top of the PapCap. That keeps it static and saves from the hastle of fussing with a hook(s).

However, if you have rain out, run the hose through the loop, water drips nicely into the nostrils. Awful feeling.... So, I've got an old beach towel rolled around the hose and held with large rubber bands. Try to remember to stash the hose under the blankets. Ain't pretty, but it works

KTeague, great to hear from you, hope all is well. It's still Ghetta weather? Was ist los? It'll be Spring soon!!

Take care,
SG

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:39 am

Hi SG. I shouldn't live around here and admit to not eating goetta. The strong German background of this area makes it a mainstay in small restaurants in some parts of the city - any time, any weather - but I've never ordered it. I made the mistake many years ago of trying to cook some myself after hearing so much about it. I should have left it to those who know what they're doing. Glad you mentioned it, I want to try it cooked by someone else so I at least know if I like it or not, though the last thing I need is one more food to like!

EDIT: Meant to ask... Would a person having a chronic cough automatically be a poor candidate to use this mask?

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks for correcting my spelling, I've lived away too long. Local Kroger, fry it up and serve with eggs with either chili sauce or ketchup on the Goetta. Gut geschmecken!! Though, do stop at Buskens for something sweet and a good hot cup of 'Joe' mid-morning.

Excellent question, chronic cough! Best if I just relate my experience, let you decide. Prior to Nomask, I would blue painter tape my mouth with ComfortFusion. If I sneezed or coughed, watch out. I'm peeling painters tape off of the ceiling.

I can sneeze with the Cpap Pro and PapCap. No problem!! I may sneeze once or twice a night. If it's more than that, I need to take everything off and wait...

Chronic cough, I wouldn't take the chance... Spending less than $200 and then finding that the Boil and Bite was constantly popping out when you coughed, No. Though, if a Dentist fit the Boil and Bite, then I think it would be OK until you got practice fitting the Boil and Bite yourself. Has a slight learning curve, my opinion....

The Boil and Bite holds on to the upper teeth, four teeth deep on either side. You wouldn't hurt yourself coughing. I think it just would be frustrating to cough and then have to reposition the nozzles to make sure no leaks. That's really it in a nutshell.

SG

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 pm

One thing I can't emphasize enough, how well the Cpap Pro and PapCap compliment each other. The Papcap plays a huge role in making the CPap Pro work well. Once you overcome an 'open breathing' problem, the CPAP PRO gives you unprecedented leak rates. Usually 2/3 that of any other Mask with the same pressure.

If your tending to bite lightly on the 'Boil and Bite' while sleeping, then you really don't need to affix the PapCap tightly. Just enough to catch those few moments when the jaw drops open. Done correctly, the two components work together in balance and harmony.

Both were designed by CPAP Users. Used together, the stunning ingenuity and simplicity becomes very obvious. CPAP Pro is often criticized for cheapness. I'm finding the choice in material as more than sufficient to do the job. The CPAP PRo components last about the same as any other mask...i.e. replace various components every 3-6 months. Depends on frequency of use and care in washing.

I could not have continued using CPAP Pro without PapCap. Stockings and straps just didn't survive the test of time. I even tried cutting Painters Tape around the Boil and Bite. Still didn't work... You can actually purchase precut tape for this purpose..

PapCap has continued to last longer than other solutions. Other than washing occasionally, it requires no maintenance and it's wearing with time quite well.

Good luck,

SG

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Ok, I've been standing in the mirror trying to figure this thing out... if the CPAP Pro attaches to the top teeth only, theoretically, dropping the lower jaw just a bit to accomodate a cough should cause minimal if any movement of the nasal pillows, right? I mean, is the slight movement of the flesh around the upper lip enough to unseat the pillows?

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 am

That's right! So, with the Papcap bound lightly under your chin, you could open your mouth easily to cough. I do one of two things to make sure the nozzles haven't come ajar...

1. I'll simply feel around the edges for air and listen for a change in sound as I move them. It should be very quiet!

2. Just for a moment, I'll put my fingers over the diffusers and listen for air leaks.

3. If I really sneezed or coughed hard, take the hose off, cusp the end of the Cpap Pro, breath in/out and see if nostrils puff in and out.

I know, its a big leap. No insurance coverage for me, once you open the bag, it's yours to keep.

SG

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Sat May 15, 2010 5:17 am

When first starting 'nomask' I was completely focused on the 'Boil and Bite'. It had to hold perfectly on my teeth. If it slipped, I would sometimes redo the 'Boil and Bite' hoping to get it 'right'.

After having my 'nomask' as my primary 'mask', I've begun to relax and not focus entirely on the 'Boil and Bite'. And, realizing the 'Boil and Bite' being perfect is not all that critical to success.

The PapCap, applied snug to my jaw keeps the 'Boil and Bite' in place enough for the 'nomask' to remain static. Tossing and turning, the nozzles remain in place. Testing for leaks before turning the Bipap on, I adjust the nozzles and have slight tension in the hoses attached to the nozzles. That way, if the 'no mask' moves slightly, the tension in the hoses keeps the nozzles in place.

The trade off is comfort. The tension has to be slight, otherwise the nozzles rammed in your nostrils becomes uncomfortable. Sleep will not be restful, if you can fall asleep at all with the discomfort.

Running the hose threw the loop on top of the PapCap is critical to prevent tugging on the hose. With the flexible hoses, wrapping it up into the loop works well.

Later,

Mark aka SuperGeeky

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Sun May 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Note to Myself: Small loop above Papcap is very important!!! I was too lazy to look for it last night. Half an hour later, pulled hose in my sleep, opened up significant leak on one nostril.

The loop holds the CPAP hose above my head and plays a critical role of holding the CPAP Pro static in my nostrils. Also, it takes away yanking the hose and pulling on my teeth. Aghh!! The loop above my head on the PapCap is very critical to making it all work.... Don't forget!!

Happy snoozing....

SG

SirSnoreNoMore

Post by SirSnoreNoMore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I've been using the CPAP Pro for about a week and a half. I am quite pleased with the product. I've been a CPAP user for almost 4 years. Starting with the Comfort Classic nasal mask for about two years, the Mirage Swift II for almost two years and now the CPAP Pro. The boil and bite wasn't as difficult as I expected though I did a second take to get a tighter fit of the front teeth. The first night was a bit fretful as I was constantly adjusting. The second night was as if I had been using it for years. However, the diffusers are much louder than the Swift II. I can't see how a couple pieces of foam over a bb sized hole is going to be quiet. I'm open for suggestions for noise abatement.

I have no problem at all with it staying in place regardless how I move throughout the night. I have never had an issue with open mouth sleeping and have never needed a chin strap. After a week and a half I don't even notice the CPAP Pro (except for the noise). It is a leap of faith as most insurance doesn't cover it. I had to plan for it on my flex account, so at least it was purchased with pretax dollars. This isn't a device you take out of the box and use. It requires serious adjustment but in my case it has been well worth it.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm

SirSnoreNoMore,

I am curious to know what possessed you to try this device after using traditional nasal interfaces for four years?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:05 am

SirSnoreNoMore, congratulations!! You are beginning a journey few others have taken. I have used Cpap Pro 100% time for well over a year now. I feel very blessed to have such a effective and comfortable CPAP therapy experience.

For the noise problem, two possibilities:Your nose passages could be obstructed or slightly clogged. The air flow maybe forced more into one hose rather than the other. The other, you've got some leakage around your nostrils.

Checking for leakage. Put the Cpap Pro on without the hose attached. Cusp your hand over the hose attachment and blow in and out. Your nostrils should flare without air coming out. After a attach the hose and lay down, for a second or two, pinch the diffusers so their closed. Listen for leaks around the nostrils.

I too, for a long time, fiddled endlessly with all the adjustments. Brought about a lot of frustration. I discovered over time to keep it at one setting, once I got it right. Make sure it's snug and tight. Hose hanger is a necessity. If the hose is pulled on, knocks it out of adjustment.

Over time, you'll find the Cpap Pro 'loosens' up, leakage becomes more prevalent. Adjusting isn't as effective. Indicates the time you need to replace parts. Sign up for email newsletter. They discount parts, and new mask.

For safety purposes, I find changing the sponge diffuser covers important. You'll see a black mark appear. I usually replace some time after that. Maybe week or two after...

Again, congrats and thank you for sharing your experience. I can't emphasize enough the comfort I enjoy and Cpap Pro prevents Apnea better than any mask I've used. Overall AHI, .4 or less. Yes, that's .4 or less. Most nights, I don't have events at all

take care,

SG

SirSnoreNoMore

Post by SirSnoreNoMore » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Roster, I wanted a unit without the "headgear". The Mirage Swift II worked OK but would shift if you rolled over. The CPAP Pro does not do that. Also, I wanted as little wear on the top of the head as possible. Baldness runs in the family and I'm trying to delay the inevitable as long as possible.

SuperGeeky, there is no leakage around the nostrils. That fits tightly and comfortably. If I cover the BB size diffuser holes all is quiet. The noise is coming from the diffuser holes. No blockage in the nasal passages. Breathing is free and clear but the diffusers are noisy. It isn't a big issue, just noisier than I expected. After the second night using the CPAP Pro it was as if I had been using it for years. It would have been nice to have had this from the beginning. The lack of insurance coverage had me a bit hesitant to try it. I planned for it on my Flex account this year.

Sleep sound and sweet dreams.