5 good nights in a row!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fischdream

5 good nights in a row!

Post by fischdream » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 am

I think I have finally got it down!! Thanks to all the advice, tidbits and ideas from this forum!

I was having problems with taking my mask off, or it slipping off during the night. I would wake up and never remember actually taking it off so had no idea how long I had been without it. My machine doesn't give me any data, but I know now what to buy the next time! I started putting my mask (CL2/nasal pillows) on first, then my chin strap on over it and then strapping the two together. That helped, but it was pulling my hair and giving me a headache. I bought a cheap fleece beanie cap and put it on first, then the mask, and topped it off with the chin strap. I never thought I could sleep with all this STUFF on my head! But I have slept wonderfully the past 5 nights! No more hair pulling, headaches or taking my mask off in the night! I woke up this morning at 6 am and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up, on Saturday and not having to get up and go to work!

Thanks for all the help!

KatieW

Re: 5 good nights in a row!

Post by KatieW » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:51 am

fischdream wrote: I never thought I could sleep with all this STUFF on my head! But I have slept wonderfully the past 5 nights! No more hair pulling, headaches or taking my mask off in the night!

Yes, I think you've got it! Always good to hear success stories.

You might want to do a search on the PapCap here. Many of us really like it, and attach our mask to it, rather than the headgear. It was a little large for me, but I modified it to fit better, and Brent (the designer) is working on a new design for women/smaller heads.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 am

WTG, fischdream!!

Sometimes it takes time, lots of reading of this message board for tips and tricks, and a lot of tweaking to get things "right" enough to actually sleep.

Most of all it takes the determination and dedication you obviously have, to not give up -- to keep trying this, that, and the other, until your entire setup is fixed "right."

We have to do that for ourselves.

It seems that most DMEs (the home medical supplies stores) rarely have the time, or the knowledge about fixes, to help much.

Good job!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 am

WOW! That's GREAT!!! I'm so happy that everything is working well for you. It really makes a difference when we get all of those little things worked out, and finally get the sleep we all desire. Here's to continued success of getting restful sleep.

fischdream

Post by fischdream » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks Katie, Rested gal and Judy!

Katie, I got the idea to try the fleece beanie cap from the papcap. I was afraid to order one because I have a smaller head and didn't think I would like having my whole head covered. I didn't mind spending $5 to try the beanie! LOL! If they make a papcap out of fleece or some other soft material and in the smaller sizes, I will order one.

I forgot to mention I also bought Tony Little's micro bead pillow and love it! And I started wrapping the nasal pillow with gauze to help insulate and cut down on the rain out from my exhaled breath condensing in it. I also wrap the hose on the head gear, it helps, but on really cold nights like last night I still get a little rain out.

It does take a lot of determination and patience to get it all tuned for each individuals needs. So hang in there newbies! I'm still a newbie too, just started this in November.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fischdream

Post by fischdream » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 am

Tony Little's micro bead pillow, saw it advertised on TV and found it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is filled with micro beads that give good support, but move with you. It has helped me tremendously sleeping on my side without pushing on the mask and causing it to leak. I found it much more comfortable than the memory foam pillow I tried. Here's a link, but I didn't pay that much! http://www.tonylittlestore.com/mp-120hsn.html I think I paid $49 for mine.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 am

fischdream wrote:Thanks Katie, Rested gal and Judy!

Katie, I got the idea to try the fleece beanie cap from the papcap. I was afraid to order one because I have a smaller head and didn't think I would like having my whole head covered. I didn't mind spending $5 to try the beanie! LOL! If they make a papcap out of fleece or some other soft material and in the smaller sizes, I will order one.

I forgot to mention I also bought Tony Little's micro bead pillow and love it! And I started wrapping the nasal pillow with gauze to help insulate and cut down on the rain out from my exhaled breath condensing in it. I also wrap the hose on the head gear, it helps, but on really cold nights like last night I still get a little rain out.

It does take a lot of determination and patience to get it all tuned for each individuals needs. So hang in there newbies! I'm still a newbie too, just started this in November.
Hi fischdream,

It's great to hear that you're doing so well! I love how you solved your problem. The idea to use cloth gauze to wrap the nasal pillow is brilliant!!! I have tried a few other things, but I hadn't even thought of that. I'll give it a try one of these days. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

~ DreamOn

fischdream

Post by fischdream » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:59 am

Hi DreamOn!!!

The cloth gauze works great and is very easy to use. I bought the 2" roll and just wind it around the pillow and use a small piece of tape to hold it on. Comes off easy for cleaning the mask and put on fresh again! I added a little more than I usually do last night and I didn't have any rain out!

fisch <><

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

fischdream wrote:Hi DreamOn!!!

The cloth gauze works great and is very easy to use. I bought the 2" roll and just wind it around the pillow and use a small piece of tape to hold it on. Comes off easy for cleaning the mask and put on fresh again! I added a little more than I usually do last night and I didn't have any rain out!

fisch <><
I bought some 2" gauze earlier today because I want to try that. I don't get any condensation in my hose, but sometimes a little in the pillows if the room is especially cool. I think the gauze is going to work well.