Clear Airway Apnea = Central Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Muse-Inc

Re: Clear Airway Apnea = Central Apnea?

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm

This is kinda over my head but it sure looks to me like they're looking at alternatives to the PSG for rapid identification of SDB.
Muffy wrote:...Image
Those are incredible! Sure look distinctive enough to be used for diagnosis IF no other set of biophysiology effects (artifacts?) could produce the same results.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 am

Muse-Inc wrote:Those are incredible! Sure look distinctive enough to be used for diagnosis IF no other set of biophysiology effects (artifacts?) could produce the same results.
Right, looks pretty slick when you've got BAD central apnea. The cardio-pulmonary coupling (CPC) routine impressively summarizes 2 important characteristics-- differentiating apnea cycle length (short vs long) and incidence (periodic vs random). The calculation of CPC, composed of the beat-to-beat heart rate interval (R-R) and an ECG-derived respiratory signal (EDR) gets rid of a lot of "artifact".

Now watch that DogTurd dsm work this into every one of his posts trying to impress everybody just like he does with ASV and AVAPS:
unsuspecting newposter1 wrote:I have a high AHI on my FunkStar APAP. What do you think the problem is?
DogTurd wrote:Have you looked at CPC? That's a very important concept.

Cheers.

dogturd
unsuspecting newposter2 wrote:The Large Leak on my Daily Details is a solid black bar. What do you think the problem is?

Cheers.

dogturd
unsuspecting newposter3 wrote:I really don't have any SDB, but I do have a bad case of anal seepage. What do you think the problem is?

Cheers.

dogturd
Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

SleepingUgly wrote:I am starting to think that the puffs of air sensation that I had with the Oracle may have been this airway test. Whatever it was, it was far less tolerable occurring IN my mouth than in my face, and that's why I couldn't fall asleep with the Oracle. I wish there was a way to shut off that feature. My nose bridge could use a night off, and maybe, just maybe, I could fall asleep with the Oracle if the machine weren't trying to detect central apneas on me while I'm awake. Ah well.
-SWS wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:On the PR System One, do the clear airway tests (puffs of air) occur in CPAP mode or only Auto-Pap?
Well, according to this Respironics capability chart, that same clear-airway apnea event detection also occurs in the PR System One fixed pressure model (the RemStar Pro): http://advancedeventdetection.respironi ... ities.aspx

So if Respironics detects a clear airway in the CPAP-only version of the PR System One product line, you can safely bet they'll do the same on their APAP model running at fixed pressure. Respironics markets that advanced event detection with this important objective:
...the real advancement is its ability to point out when the patient is experiencing symptoms beyond classic OSA.
http://advancedeventdetection.respironics.com/ (and toward that objective you don't need a high sensitivity score to reveal useful albeit basic trends)

So the above event detection is not purely for the sake of running the APAP algorithm. A primary purpose is to notify the person reading that data if there are problems besides ordinary OSA. Case-in-point: the algorithm will do absolutely nothing in response to detected periodic breathing (PB). PR System One's PB event detection is purely for informational purposes---even on the APAP model.

So I presume the answer is yes, the airway puffs occur in CPAP mode as well---since Respironics does not relinquish that same capability on the CPAP-only model.
I agree that those pressure pulses will probably be more noticeable with any interface-conduit terminating inside the mouth versus inches away from the face. I looked through the manual but did not see a way to turn that central-apnea detection feature off.

However, I would wonder if the PR System One's central-apnea detection is suspended during initial ramp mode. You might try experimentally setting ramp time long enough to fall asleep---if you haven't already tried that. Good luck.

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Muffy

I really am touched by how much you actually care
http://sigmundcarlandalfred.wordpress.c ... -and-hate/
But this bizarre affair just has to end !.

Sorry DSM

(I just don't love you (or the opposite) enough for it to work)

PS http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show_tag?name=hate
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Muffy

Post by Muffy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:26 am

DogTurd wrote:Nicely said - but I am at a disadvantage when you say my logic is flawed but don't point out where.
The very next sentence:
DogTurd wrote:We have *all* posted the odd incorrect remark & sometimes the wrong info but that nearly always gets picked up by others because we are such a diverse group and with a wide range of talent.
Your generalization that "*all*" have made errors is not only unsubstantiated but in no way a justification for poor advice that you often give.

The danger is that you believe that your errors will be "picked up by others" because they won't. How could you possibly verify this? You post something stupid, then, if nobody challenges it, you go "Aha! That must have been true!" and go on to post something more stupid, and on and on.

If anyone thinks that I may have some sort of expertise in these matters and patrol the board to fix your errors, they are sadly mistaken. If I did, even once, then people would believe that they could actually follow your recommendations because there's some sort of a "safety net" in place. And THAT is why I will not point out any of your mistakes.

Muffy

Machine: Dell Dimension 8100
Mask: 3M N-95 (during flu season)
Humidifier: Avoided, tends to make me moldy
Software: XP Pro
Additional Comments: You can't find a solution when you don't know the problem

sleeptreatment

Post by sleeptreatment » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:17 am

rested gal wrote:
jnk wrote:My question for you is: Are there any undergraduates who don't get some training in deviant social behavior? Good one, Jeff!

jeff

Regarding this:
jnk wrote:I think in both instances you [-SWS] mention, DSM may have been trying to provoke Muffy/SAG moreso than you.
Looks pretty obvious to me who dsm was referring to in this topic:

viewtopic.php?p=426874#p426874
dsm wrote:#2 Now I know how Dr Barry Krakow felt when RG & SWS put the blowtorch on him re his comments on
'big gap' ipap/epap & dealing with UARS. It was really something to see a renowned Dr who runs a sleep clinic
dissed to the extent he was over his comments. Maybe he will come back one day.

Dr. Krakow has been posting several video blogs at http://sleeptreatment.com, FYI. Also, his book, Sound Sleep Sound Mind is excellent. I initially found Dr. Krakow as I was looking for books on Amazon. It got great reviews. Highly recommend.

russo777

Post by russo777 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Dear group, I just got the system one and I am a first time user , I started with the full mask and was having a terrible time all my readings were sky high , I finally got to visit the respironics Rep and got the new nasial mask and the difference was like night and day . I also found that the x1 to the x5 settings are there to choose masks , the x1 is better for the full face masks the x5 is more for the nasial pillow type mask .1x is for less air flow x5 being the most , my ahi went from 18.5 to 2.5 , I realy dont think the full mask is good if you need high preasure. Hope that helped barry. Russo

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's what makes this forum wonderful.

And welcome here. Register. It's free and believe it or not, you won't get any email from the forum unless you want it.

Once you register you can fill in the equipment profile. Then if you ask questions or share your experience like this, people know now at a glance what your setup is ... and tailor their answers to your situation.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Russo777
You picked a great place to learn....and an interesting thread to introduce yourself on!