Anyone else spending Christmas alone?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaylee

Anyone else spending Christmas alone?

Post by Jaylee » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:25 pm

I lasted about 15 minutes at my family gathering. I am deathly allergic to dogs and I was told it was an outside dog. It wasn't. He kept jumping on me and licking me and when my skin turned blotchy and I couldn't breathe, I had to leave. Now I am home alone wondering what to do It is sad that I am by myself on Christmas, but this could be a trend since everyone I know has dogs. Allergies stink! There is not enough medicine in the world that can keep me healthy in a room with one for two hours.

Julie

Re: Anyone else spending Christmas alone?

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Do like all the non celebrating people do - go for Chinese food! And do consider keeping a couple of Claritin or something in your wallet just in case.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Me... I just talked to my sister and her family and my mom

It's pretty normal for me to be alone for Christmas. I'd go to the movies but the roads here aren't in good shape due to a storm overnight.

And I understand very much about the pet allergies... have those myself.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:42 pm

I totally understand your problem. One year my DD (who was 6) and I flew to visit my mother, we celebrated Christmas at my sisters' who had a big golden lab and a chain smoking husband. Either one I might have handled but not both. I freaked out and grabbed the kid, borrowing mom's car and departed back to the parents' place where we had scrambled eggs and toast for Christmas supper. Mom brought back a doggy bag of turkey and other goodies when she got home and we had a second supper late that night.

One year I when I was alone I called a friend and we went for Indian food - About the only open restaurant in town. It was quite busy too.
(it was that or the Kosher steak house that was out of our budget)

I have often celebrated on alternate days because the rest of the family was flying off elsewhere - an issue with blended/broken families.

Often in the past I called around and hosted a potluck for other lost or odd ducks, like all the non christian friends I have, or the gay friends who were told "Never darken my door again" by their families.

Merry Christmas/Solstice/Kwanzaa/belated Hanukkah

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Jaylee wrote:I lasted about 15 minutes at my family gathering. I am deathly allergic to dogs and I was told it was an outside dog. It wasn't. He kept jumping on me and licking me and when my skin turned blotchy and I couldn't breathe, I had to leave. Now I am home alone wondering what to do It is sad that I am by myself on Christmas, but this could be a trend since everyone I know has dogs. Allergies stink! There is not enough medicine in the world that can keep me healthy in a room with one for two hours.
I'm home with the cats..I started on-call with work today. I prepared Christmas Dinner yesterday...sort of nice no time frame, no pressure just relaxing and left overs for the next several days, more for turkey soup later!!! Katmas Tree lights glowing spotlighting about 100 cat ornaments with a 2009 special kitty angel tree topper, candles glimmering, and a nap soon if the pager allows, then fire in fireplace......will make some calls later! Actually, I'm enjoying the quiet, low pressure time!!! Do things you enjoy...a bubble bath, hot cup of tea, Christmas TV special, favorite food, go buy a lottery ticket!!!! Make this Christmas Day your day!!!!

Merry Katmas,
elg5cats

Last edited by elg5cats on Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Jaylee wrote:I lasted about 15 minutes at my family gathering. I am deathly allergic to dogs and I was told it was an outside dog. It wasn't. He kept jumping on me and licking me and when my skin turned blotchy and I couldn't breathe, I had to leave. Now I am home alone wondering what to do It is sad that I am by myself on Christmas, but this could be a trend since everyone I know has dogs. Allergies stink! There is not enough medicine in the world that can keep me healthy in a room with one for two hours.
I'm sorry about the dog allergies.

I'm home alone too, but I'm fine with it. My husband is out of town working until next week. I'm reading the forum, then have a quilting project I'm really enjoying. Later, I'm going to a movie with a friend, then Japanese food. We're not that into Christmas anyway. I think its too stressful for alot of people, with too many expectations.

Do something to pamper yourself, you deserve it!

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:10 pm

KatieW wrote:Do something to pamper yourself, you deserve it!
I second tat!

Try to let go of the expectations about the "ideal" (fantasy) Christmas. I've never known a "perfect" family like they're usually portrayed in the movies. Many people are happy spending the time by themselves. Besides, you're never really alone with this forum!

Create new traditions, Jaylee!

~ DreamOn
Last edited by DreamOn on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:16 pm

You know in a way the unexpected can bring the most "interesting" memories.
The Holidays I remember most have been the ones where all expectations went out the door.

Pamper your self - take a nice hot bath. Call the parents and tell them to bring you a "care package " of food from the dinner and treat your self later to a candlelight dinner.

Or go out and play - at a bar, a soup kitchen, a church, a hospital or where ever there is something open. Take some candies to gas station attendants or other people who gave up their Christmas.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:44 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: Or go out and play - . Take some candies to gas station attendants or other people who gave up their Christmas.

Hey BlackSpinner, I like this idea..one of my favorite Katmas memories is playing "KatClaws" and leaving "kats" and toys (no pets harmed) at adult friends and unsuspecting acquaintances doors...............I had a blast.........if I'm on the on-call list next year, I'm likely to have Christmas again, I'll play KatClaws to the the convenient store workers....they are used to being robbed (not by me) not KatClawed........I wish I had goodies to put together and it do it this year, that would be sooooo much fun!!!!

Merry Katmas,
elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm stuck in a Blizzard here in Nebraska. I just shoveled and snowblowed my driveway for two hours. I will be working that CPAP machine hard to night, I'm exhausted and will need a good nights sleep. Until the plows clear the streets my Pontiac is not going anywhere. I wish Al Gore would of told old man winter about Global warming. Merry Christmas!

FoxNewsFan

Post by FoxNewsFan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Jaylee,
If everyone you know has dogs, have you considered allergy shots or now they even have allergy drops?

http://allergies.about.com/od/allergysh ... basics.htm

I know they are expensive but maybe you can swing it. Success rate is quite high.

Merry Christmas,

Ed
ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset APAP
ResMed Mirage Quattro FFM
Backup ResMed S9

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:48 pm

For me, this Christmas has more than a bit of stress. I'm getting the Christmas Dinner ready even as I type. It's essential that every thing be what we've had for at least the last decade.

Today is my Dad's first Christmas, in 65 years without my Mom, who died on 29 October.

It was very strange last night to walk up to the door of the church (I'm afraid I'm a Christmas Eve and Easter Morning church goer) and not see Mom where she has been for the last 43 years, dressed in her Christmas best, smiling and greeting everyone and handing out bulletins for the service. Even Thanksgiving wasn't quite like this. I think last night was when it really hit me that Mom won't ever be there, ever again.

I understand allergies. I can't tolerate tobacco smoke. When I used to have a big New Year's Gather, I always warned people that we have dogs -- but I also had the carpets steam cleaned and deodorized, ditto the furniture and curtains, and I warned people in advance that my dogs are not outdoor dogs. (Then again, raw-fed dogs often don't trigger the kind of allergic reaction that kibble fed animals do.)

<g> If I were alone, I'd probably go out for Chinese food -- they can do a stir-fry for me without rice or other stuff that I can't have.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Yep, I'm alone today, too. Here's my good reason why (with a warning re: language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGgif9n6rBw

Hope you're all enjoying the day, no matter what you're doing or what you're eating for dinner.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:33 pm

I actually took my daily "So I can leave the house" allergy medicine I think it was because no one stopped the dog from jumping on me and licking me, even though I was trying to get away from it. I actually like dogs, a friend has one of those hypoallergenic dogs. But this dog was big, aggressive and there was fur everywhere. Recipe for disaster

I am allergic to everything. I couldn't even go with my students on their field trip to the farm because I am allergic to hay, chickens, rabbits, ducks, turkeys and sheep I probably would have been in the hospital had I gone. So I am used to sitting out on fun things because of my allergies.

I just woke up from a medicine induced nap. When my parents got home and checked on me, Mom was shocked that I wore my mask to nap with. I took the time to educate her some more since Dad is supposed to get a CPAP too. He was supposed to get it last week but the DME never came and has not returned his calls

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Jaylee

Allergies can ruin more vacations, plans, or even Christmas Dinners that anything I know. Our family has loads of allergies. Our kids have more problems than I do. They had allergy shots for years, but still have to be careful of cats and dogs. I wanted you to know, you are not the only person to have your plans changed by allergies. You might have an alternative plan for something you could do. There have been good suggestions given here for ideas of things you could do to either enjoy your alone time, or find a good option.

Good wishes for the New Year.

Jan