getting my first machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
river_terror@yahoo.com

getting my first machine

Post by river_terror@yahoo.com » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Having gone through the studies, I'm suppose to get a CPAP set at 13#. I've been researching machines and thought I'd spend the extra money to get the resmed auto-set2. I have it set up with an online palce. Now my doctors office is saying I should just get the standard machine. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to why. I thought the better the machine and being automatic would be better. Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks

User avatar
Wulfman
Posts: 12345
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:43 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: getting my first machine

Post by Wulfman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:47 pm

river_terror@yahoo.com wrote:Having gone through the studies, I'm suppose to get a CPAP set at 13#. I've been researching machines and thought I'd spend the extra money to get the resmed auto-set2. I have it set up with an online palce. Now my doctors office is saying I should just get the standard machine. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to why. I thought the better the machine and being automatic would be better. Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks
The Auto/APAP machines are all data-capable. And, they are more "versatile" in that they have more modes and options. They also can be run in a straight CPAP, single-pressure mode.
They're not necessarily "automatic" in that they can't immediately go to the proper pressure that's needed.....they move their pressures fairly slowly and allow more events to occur if they're not configured properly (a pressure range that's too wide).

If you DO get an Auto/APAP machine, I would strongly recommend running it in your prescribed pressure for some amount of time to determine whether they got your titrated pressure correct.

Since your prescribed pressure is 13 cm......if you're getting the Autoset II machine, you should also be aware that it MAY NOT pursue events above the pressure of 10 cm......which is controlled by their A10 algorithm. Any apnea event above the pressure of 10 cm. has to have preceding snores or flow limitations or the machine will not attempt to raise its pressure. Every manufacturer uses different algorithms in their Auto/APAP machines, so it's always a good idea to know what their advantages and disadvantages are so you're not disappointed after you purchase one. For some people, the changing pressures can also disturb their sleep.

In any case, be sure that whatever machine you get is FULLY DATA CAPABLE. (many straight CPAPs are, too.)


Den
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Guest

Re: getting my first machine

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for your help. It's kind of over my head at this point but I'll learn. I'm going to have them set it at the 13 level from the factory and give it a try there. I just thought it would be worthwhile to get a good machine instead of the entry level unit with no options. I can get the whole set up with mask for $200 verse paying nothing for the start up unit via the insurance. I'm sure I'll be an active member of this site as I have a lot to learn. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

User avatar
Wulfman
Posts: 12345
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:43 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: getting my first machine

Post by Wulfman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks for your help. It's kind of over my head at this point but I'll learn. I'm going to have them set it at the 13 level from the factory and give it a try there. I just thought it would be worthwhile to get a good machine instead of the entry level unit with no options. I can get the whole set up with mask for $200 verse paying nothing for the start up unit via the insurance. I'm sure I'll be an active member of this site as I have a lot to learn. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
We were all in your position at some point in the beginning of our therapy. Do lots of reading here.

What specific machine are they going to give you? You mentioned the ResMed Autoset II. The ResMed Elite II is also a data-capable CPAP machine, too. It's a single-pressure machine, but it'll give you data to monitor your therapy. If you could get them to give you one of those, you would have a good machine.


Den
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Guest

Re: getting my first machine

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks again. I've got a lot to learn. I'm getting the resmed auto-set 2 set to run as a cpap at 13. I guess in the future if I want to try the auto I'll be able to change it back. Will thta machine give me the data I need to know if it's working?

User avatar
Wulfman
Posts: 12345
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:43 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: getting my first machine

Post by Wulfman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:02 am

Guest wrote:Thanks again. I've got a lot to learn. I'm getting the resmed auto-set 2 set to run as a cpap at 13. I guess in the future if I want to try the auto I'll be able to change it back. Will thta machine give me the data I need to know if it's working?
Yes.


Den
(4) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
FinceMgr
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: The High Desert, CA

Re: getting my first machine

Post by FinceMgr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:01 am

Welcome! May I suggest concentrating on getting a generic CPAP equipment Rx and half your battle is over. With the Rx you may purchase either device on your own. It would enable you to participate in our host’s auction site to get started, which you could use as a spare once you triumph with your providers. Utilizing whatever insurance you have may be the other half of the battle. If you are stuck with Kaiser/Apria they will likely only offer you an M-series Plus. However I've been told the entire DS Series, no longer in manufacturing, has been discontinued. We are now seeing its successor, the PR system 1's show up, but no software for them. I am hopeful Apria drops the DS line in 2010. While you will read here of brethren who have prevailed fighting this fight, it may be more of an exception then the rule. I’m in the midst of the letter writing process myself.


river_terror@yahoo.com wrote:Having gone through the studies, I'm suppose to get a CPAP set at 13#. I've been researching machines and thought I'd spend the extra money to get the resmed auto-set2. I have it set up with an online palce. Now my doctors office is saying I should just get the standard machine. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to why. I thought the better the machine and being automatic would be better. Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks

_________________
Mask: Mirage Swift™ II Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Software: Encore Smart Card Reader - USB
Additional Comments: Card reader from Minami Electronic, EncorePro from torrent DL