suggestions to Johnny for the board

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gerryk

suggestions to Johnny for the board

Post by Gerryk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:33 am

Hi all, I was thinking of suggesting a couple things to Johnny but was wondering what everyone else thougth about this. I was thinking of making a poll, but I would need a poll for each item.

Would you like these options added to your equipment list in your profile?
a second machine for backup or a second location
backup masks
If you have insurance
who your insurance is

I know that our own decisions are sometimes based on if we have insurance or not and what we tell newbies depends on if they have insurance or not. I don't think it would be a problem listing if we have insurance or not, I wouldn't think it would but it may be too much if we list what insurance we have. Anyway if we list that info it is voluntary and up to us.

What does everyone think?

Gerry
Last edited by Gerryk on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleepycarol

Re: suggestions to Johnny for the board

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 am

You can already add that information in the additional comments section so why change? I have my extra masks listed there. As far as insurance goes, I don't feel it is relevant information to be listed in the profile. If problems crop up with coverage or non coverage typically it is in the discussion section so no need to list it additionally.

Just my opinion.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 am

Howdy,

I like this idea. I'd like to hear from anyone interested in exactly how they like it to show and what information should be supported.

RE: Carol. I think the value is that a newbie comes and is asked. By being asked it forces you to say "these must be there parameters people use to decide, I should use these parameters as well, or at least this is what vets need to help me".

Johnny

Section1

Post by Section1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:31 am

Seems reasonable if people wish to provide that information. If it can help somebody then I'm for doing it. Many people come here looking for answers and we each have different questions. If that can answer someones question and help with their therapy then lets do it.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:32 am

I think the four lines allocated to machine, mask, humidifier, software are enough.

As Carol said, if a person wants to add more info, it can go in the "additional comments" section. Or even in the "signature" area.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:15 am

rested gal wrote:I think the four lines allocated to machine, mask, humidifier, software are enough.

As Carol said, if a person wants to add more info, it can go in the "additional comments" section. Or even in the "signature" area.
I agree.

I also suspect there will be a time when most, if not all, of my equipment won't have inventory links and the area at the bottom of my profile will be the only place I'll be able to list it. (like RG does now)
I know there's been a long-running controversy/argument (going back almost 5 years) as to how members prefer to see the equipment listed in a person's profile, and I can see both sides of that argument......but there are no guarantees that a new user is going to be able to figure out whether the equipment they selected for their profile is actually what they DO have. I've seen "wrong" or mis-matched equipment in both types of listings (icons and/or words). I don't know what the answer to that situation is, but it happens.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:21 am

Newbies are generally of the one-mask, one-machine variety. Even those with insurance should be pointed to the online options to see what is most cost-effective and convenient for them. So those additional listings might tend to complicate things more than simplify, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the ideas, but that is my take.

roster

Post by roster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 am

I would not add it. It is much more complicated than whether you have insurance or not and who the insurance company is. You also have to know what the deductibles are, the out-of-pockets, and where the patient stands on year-to-date spending and does he have balances in his HSA. Impossible to put anything helpful in the profile.

If you want to make a great change to the site, eliminate the option of "images" in the equipment profile and convert all existing profiles to "text".

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Babette

Post by Babette » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:34 am

Another great change idea - make the gender signifiers black. Jules has trouble with hot pink used for the F - it causes him seizures. And me, I'm so sick of pink it makes me puke.

I don't need any additional options for machines, though I do have several machines I'm running right now, but I would like more room in the signature block. Or else I need an HTML guru to make me an image I can post, like RipVW does.

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 am

rooster wrote:I would not add it. It is much more complicated than whether you have insurance or not and who the insurance company is. You also have to know what the deductibles are, the out-of-pockets, and where the patient stands on year-to-date spending and does he have balances in his HSA. Impossible to put anything helpful in the profile.

If you want to make a great change to the site, eliminate the option of "images" in the equipment profile and convert all existing profiles to "text".
Like I said.......this has been a long-running debate.......

viewtopic/t47502/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35 ... ext#p27159

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 am

I think that more lines are not necessary. That "Additional" line is enough for people to put in any other masks etc.

I do agree with Babette as well - Can't we just have M or F in black?

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

roster

Post by roster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:11 am

I'm old style. I prefer the pink F.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm

While the Suggestion Box is open, I would love to see categories for the posts. This is the only forum I follow that doesn't organize posts by categories. I find it much more difficult to follow this forum when all of the topics are listed in one long "bucket". Topic categories make it easier to find the topics that interest you and skip the ones that don't.

Possible categories might include:
  • Newcomer's Corner: Welcome to the start of your xPAP journey
  • xPAP Devices: Everything about the xPAP machines & humidifiers
  • Masks: Everything about masks and leakage
  • Other Equipment and Mods: Hoses, filters, headgear, and general modifications and upgrades
  • Readers and Data: Working with those pesky card readers and your nightly data
  • Water Cooler: The place to discuss topics not entirely related to xPAP

"Being an optimist has its ups."

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Their are other boards out there?
Maybe I never found other boards because I have what I need here. The people, the answers and cpap.com are all right here.

Gerry

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:51 pm

desert rider wrote:While the Suggestion Box is open, I would love to see categories for the posts. This is the only forum I follow that doesn't organize posts by categories. I find it much more difficult to follow this forum when all of the topics are listed in one long "bucket". Topic categories make it easier to find the topics that interest you and skip the ones that don't.

Possible categories might include:
  • Newcomer's Corner: Welcome to the start of your xPAP journey
  • xPAP Devices: Everything about the xPAP machines & humidifiers
  • Masks: Everything about masks and leakage
  • Other Equipment and Mods: Hoses, filters, headgear, and general modifications and upgrades
  • Readers and Data: Working with those pesky card readers and your nightly data
  • Water Cooler: The place to discuss topics not entirely related to xPAP
And with good reason. You'll be more educated with all aspects of sleep apnea, CPAP use and all other issues/subjects because of the way this forum is. That suggestion has been brought up numerous times and it went nowhere......thankfully.
The other CPAP/Apnea forums that categorize their subjects have turned into ghost towns. They're also highly moderated and restrict the flow of information to those who seek it (like machine settings).

The way this one is, you can read what you want and skip whatever you don't want to read, too.

Den
User since 05/14/05