What to do for a dry throat ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TrueBlue

What to do for a dry throat ?

Post by TrueBlue » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 am

Can't seem to conquer a horribly dry throat during the night. I need several gulps of water to get me through the night even though I tape my mouth. I use a humidifier as high as I can (2.5 setting) but any higher and I get rain out and gurgles. I love my nasal pillows but have to ask the experts .... would a full face mask be any more effective than taping ? (not that I can handle wearing one but I would like to know !) I can't see how it would because from reading other posts here I think a dry throat is from mouth breathing which I can't be doing because of the tape.

bdp522

Re: What to do for a dry throat ?

Post by bdp522 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:17 am

I don't think a FF mask will make a difference. You might want to try Biotene mouth wash. It's supposed to keep the mouth and throat moist.

Brenda

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 am

I use Biotene mouthwash every night just at bedtime.

It helps me with this issue!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 am

Biotene also comes in toothpaste or oral gel. My dental hygienist gave me a little sample pack to try. She said it contains an enzyme that helps you create more saliva. She has alot of patients who have dry mouth, from cpap or medications.

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:26 am

You need to also humidify the room. During the winter your rooms dry out because of your heating system and the low humidity (when it isn't raining). Swiss Air is the only way to go. Look around for the best price because it's worth it. You can buy "others" but there is NO comparison!: http://www.airoswiss.net/info/ultrasonics/7145.aspx I run both my Air Swiss on full (and sometimes medium) and my cpap humidifier at a 1 setting. Works perfectly. I live in Prescott Arizona a mile up and the humidity can get as low as 9%!! Mostly runs 14 to 19%. For the summer time, I use this model...: http://www.airoswiss.net/AOS1355N.aspx

sierragail

Post by sierragail » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm

TrueBlue, I have the same problem. I tape my mouth shut, so there is for sure no mouth breathing going on, yet my throat is burning with dryness and so it wakes me up. I've got the cpap humidifier as high as I can tolerate without killing my sinuses, which are stuffy enough when I wake up anyway. I thought it was because I have Sjogren's Syndrome (auto-immune thing that destroys the tear producing glands and saliva glands). I'm used to sleeping with my little bottle of eye drops and my little spray bottle of Biotene (before I even started cpap treatment) to periodically spray my throat and lubricate my eyes during the night. It's a kind of a hassle to pull the tape off my mouth, spray my throat, put new tape back on, (sometimes more than once) and not end up with seriously disrupted sleep. If you find the answer, please post it for us!

John O

Post by John O » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 am

I still suffer from dry mouth even though I use a tight chin strap. I tried a full face mask twice and I really didn't like that at all, so I am sticking with the nose pillows which is not objectionable at all to me. I set the machine anywhere from 0 to 4 and I still wake up with dry mouth 3 or 4 times a night.
REMstar Auto A-Flex
System One
Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal pillows system

montana

Post by montana » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 pm

You are leaking air from your mouth. I had such a dry mouth my teeth hurt ....it was awful. My cheeks would even stick to my teeth. Try some different masks and make sure they don't leak. I got the Full LIfe mask and now dry mouth is gone. Once you have correct mask all will be well.

John O

Post by John O » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I bought some Oasis mouth spray and I also replaced the chin strap and I had a perfect night's sleep, as far as dry throat is concerned. As far as the full face mask, I have tried that twice and I thought they were awful.

frazzled-snoozer

Post by frazzled-snoozer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm

sagesteve wrote:I live in Prescott Arizona a mile up and the humidity can get as low as 9%!! Mostly runs 14 to 19%. For the summer time, I use this model...: http://www.airoswiss.net/AOS1355N.aspx
I lived in Prescott for a few years while I was in high school. It sure is nice up there. But I had to return to the California desert. Either way I've got it dry! Do they still do a big Christmas lighting thing at the courthouse? And how about that crazy claim of being softball capitol of the world. My CA town claims to be the soccer capitol of the world. It seems no matter where I go there will be some kind of nutty competition.

I've got the dry mouth thing going on too. I'm going to try all of these suggestions. It's weird when I can feel the air build up in my mouth and it just pops my lips open. I've woken up a few times with that happening.
Frazzled-Snoozer

rahul1

Post by rahul1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,
Might want to try sugar less halls. I have heard in another post that this might work...