Stressed out over copay

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaylee

Stressed out over copay

Post by Jaylee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I got a bill for $165 for a month's rental on the BiPap machine. There is no way I can afford to pay that since I had to leave my husband. He was abusive and I did not have a lot of choices. I am trying to do this all on my own but it is just so hard. Math is math and I just simply do not have $165 left over at the end of the month. I am going to call my DME tomorrow but they already told me I did not qualify for hardship help. I am so scared to sleep without the machine. My oxygen was only 49% without it

KatieW

Re: Stressed out over copay

Post by KatieW » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

Jaylee, I'm sorry to hear of your distress. You had mentioned in an earlier post that your employer had offered to lend you the money to buy your equipment outright. Is that not an option anymore?

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm so sorry there Jaylee. I commend you for leaving an abusive husband. I know it's not an easy thing to do (my wife worked at a domestic violence shelter for a few years).

I wish I could help you financially, but I'm fairly tapped myself. Why were you prescribed a Bi-Pap? Maybe someone on here has an older CPAP machine they could donate? I'm trying to think of what we can do to help.

Since you have a DME, I'm assuming you have some sort of medical insurance right now? Perhaps, there is something your insurance company could do, or a grievance you could file?
Sleep well and live better!

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I hate owing money to my coworkers. I am so far in medical debt right now. I guess I have no other choice. I am just so sick right now because it seems unfair that they can justify renting a machine for $500 a month when the stupid thing is only $1300 to buy outright. I hate living with my parents because they get mad at me for not having enough money to pay my medical bills. I am doing the best that I can but I lost my insurance and had to get new insurance and it is not nearly as good as the old one was. I am just crying right now and I can't stop.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm

How long have you been on your machine? Was that the FIRST bill?
Does your insurance deductible "reset" at the beginning of the year? You may also end up paying more out-of-pocket till that deductible is met (whatever it is).

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Check out http://awakeinamerica.org -- they may be able to help.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Is there any way that I can find out what my settings are? I don't have any of that information in the packet I was given by the DME company. If I just buy a machine outright now will I know how to set it? I feel so clueless here compared to everyone else. You all are so up on top of your settings, and you have card readers, etc. One of my biggest issues is that I have never done anything for myself. My parents controlled my life until I got married, then my husband did it. I have never done anything on my own because no one ever thought I was capable.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Jaylee wrote:Is there any way that I can find out what my settings are? I don't have any of that information in the packet I was given by the DME company. If I just buy a machine outright now will I know how to set it? I feel so clueless here compared to everyone else. You all are so up on top of your settings, and you have card readers, etc. One of my biggest issues is that I have never done anything for myself. My parents controlled my life until I got married, then my husband did it. I have never done anything on my own because no one ever thought I was capable.
If you'll PM me with your e-mail address, I'll send you the manual so you'll know how to find (or change) your settings.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Jaylee wrote:Is there any way that I can find out what my settings are? I don't have any of that information in the packet I was given by the DME company. If I just buy a machine outright now will I know how to set it? I feel so clueless here compared to everyone else. You all are so up on top of your settings, and you have card readers, etc. One of my biggest issues is that I have never done anything for myself. My parents controlled my life until I got married, then my husband did it. I have never done anything on my own because no one ever thought I was capable.
Hi Jaylee,

I understand your fear and frustration. Life is filled with many "firsts", and it can feel overwhelming sometimes. As you gain confidence in your ability to manage things on your own, it will get easier and others will realize that you are capable. Believe me, less than two months ago, when I started using CPAP, I knew NOTHING about machines, machine settings, masks, card readers, etc.! I learned it all step by step, by reading and doing. You will too. Soon you'll be passing on that knowledge and experience to the newbies.

Once you get the manual for your machine (from Wulfman or elsewhere), you'll be able to step through the menus on the machine. You can write down each setting as you go. I'd be happy to assist you with that, but I don't have any experience with your machine, so I'm afraid I'd be of no help. But I'm sure others can guide you through it if needed.

bearded_two mentioned the nonprofit organization called Awake In America. They provide free xPAP equipment and sleep studies to those without the means to pay for them. Read about their "xPAP Donation and Relief" and their "Sleep Study Relief" programs via the links on the left side of their home page (which bearded_two linked).

You may very well qualify for their services. From http://awakeinamerica.info/donaterelief ... p-program/:

Who qualifies for the Awake In America xPAP Donation and Relief Program?

Awake In America’s xPAP Donation and Relief Program was designed to meet the needs of individuals without health insurance, with inadequate health insurance, or without the financial means necessary to obtain equipment essential to treat diagnosed, yet untreated sleep disorders. Essential equipment would include items such as CPAP, bi-level or BiPAP machines, humidifiers, and nasal masks.

You could always fill out their application and see what happens, or write or give them a call to discuss your situation (http://awakeinamerica.info/contact-us/).

And, who knows, maybe there's a special "angel" on this forum who can assist you in some way. Someone may have a BiPAP that they no longer use or they just won the lottery. It is the season of giving....

~ DreamOn

P.S. You may want to check out Craigslist listings in your area. I just searched and found this almost-new Respironics BiPAP for $449: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/hab/1492609672.html. You'd want to double-check the model, condition, etc., and take normal precautions when buying from strangers, but you may be able to find an affordable machine through similar local channels if the other options don't work out.
Last edited by DreamOn on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Ha! Your parents and your ex-husband are due to find out just how really capable you are!!! And you ARE capable of making it thru this!

Request a copy of your sleep evaluation and titration study(s) doctor dictated results AND full scored data summary results w/condensed graphs AS WELL AS your equipment order (script). You have a LEGAL RIGHT to these copies under HIPAA (assuming you are in the USA).

You need a copy of the equipment order (script) if you purchase an xPAP from an online DME provider or a local DME provider and they will set your device according to the doctor's script. If you purchase one from cpapauction you will have to set the settings yourself but we can either provide you w/the instructions to do so or better yet a pdf file of the Clinicians Manual which will tell you how to do so.

Good luck and God bless. You CAN do this!! You've already shown you have the moxie and the capability to refuse to tolerate abuse and control and to start your life over. Kudos to you!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SnoozyWoozyCat

Post by SnoozyWoozyCat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey Jaylee -- sorry to hear you are having co-pay issues. How many months will you be paying the $165 co-pay? To me it makes more sense to try to find a used machine at the CPAP auction site. I just bought a used RESMED VPAP Auto that had only been used 7 hours for $250. I wanted a backup machine just in case. I won't be able to run this through my insurance, but it was worth it. The machine is brand new, came with a humidifier, hose, manuals and carrying case. I've also purchased a new mask on CPAP auction. Both transactions have been great and the sellers couldn't have been nicer. If you bid on a machine, make sure you have your prescription registered with CPAP.com first. I didn't realize this and lost out on a machine.

Good luck with your issues. In leaving your husband and also dealing with your health issues, you have proven that you are strong and determined. It may not seem like it now, but things will get better! Take care.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 pm

Okay so I have had my cry and now I am ready to stop feeling sorry for myself

Thanks for listening to that! I could probably now rant for an hour about how I think it should be illegal to rent a $1300 machine for $500 a month, but I will try to refrain I don't know if that is against the rules here or not!

My insurance will cover 50% of the total, so the copay is going to be around $200- I could not figure the exact total tonight because I know my mask and hose is on there still that they were letting me make payments on and I am not sure how much of that was in the total they sent me.

I know for a fact that my DME offers a plan for people in need but they told me I don't qualify. I don't know how that could possibly be because I have serious financial issues right now and they are not from spending money on anything fun or luxuries. I did have to buy a car because my husband took mine from me but it is a used car and not like I bought a nice new car or anything. I can prove where my money goes and it all goes. My Mom is an accountant and she is helping me budget. They don't have the money to pay the copay for me because they have to pay for my food and personal expenses. I would be lying if I did not admit that it is tempting sometimes to go back to my husband for the finacial security alone, but I know that is dangerous for me so I have to be strong and just muddle along. He recently got laid off so that is in my mind too, that it wouldn't matter even if I did go back because right now it is probably hard for him too.

I can't explain why I don't want to take the money from my boss. Perhaps because I don't know that I could swing the minimum payments to her right now either. I don't have two quarters to run together at the end of the month right now. I just feel like having OSA is my fault because I am overweight and I feel guilty for my job paying for it. I was told that if I wasn't heavy I would not have this problem, so thus the guilt begins. Although the only people I have personally known who had OSA were NOT overweight. But anyway..

Right now I am just emotional because I keep getting bills. And I found out tonight that apparantly my husband did not pay the phone bill that he was supposed to have transfered in to his name, so they turned me over to a collection agency. So now I am just like, this is a hard hard day and I want to go to sleep

So I am very sorry if I sounded pitiful earlier. I get overwhelmed when I feel like I have to make decisions when I don't think I am capable of it.

But now I have a to do list and I can start there. Then once I know if I have exhausted my options for the DME, I can look in to the auction site or the other website you all provided for me. My Dad told me I could have his machine because his will be paid for by his insurance but I can't do that, he needs it, and it just makes me cry to think that he would be willing to have these health problems to help me

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:49 pm

I am looking at my machine in the shopping part and I wonder if I need a humidifier?

I have one now but most times it is on the lowest setting if not totally off. I have not noticed dry mouth or throat or anything when it is off. But I live in WV and I wonder if maybe I will need a humidifier for other times of the year? If I had to buy a machine, could I add a humidifier later on if I had issues with dry throat or nose issues?

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm

you may want to check with your DME... as humidifiers usually aren't rentable. So you may have already purchased that.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:35 am

A word of advice on the husband. Cancel all services NOW that are in your name that you don't need immedicately. He can go have a new phone set up in his own name. DO NOT let an ex or soon-to-be ex have the responsibility for transfering ANYTHING to his name for which you are currently responsible. Cancel everything you don't need right now.

Mine tried to get the only bill he ever had in his name transfered into my name - an overdue newspaper bill for about $24 without my permission. Needless to say I told the newspaper where to find him and insisted that they had no legal right to put it into my name since I did not order it and it was never in my name. He told them he was moving out of town and it was my newspaper. Once threatened with legal action they put it back in his name and went after him at his new address which I provided. Sounds trivial, but if he gets away with that, it snowballs into bigger things. Splitting up is ugly, no way around it.

Protect yourself and your credit. Credit cards, electric bills, internet, TV, garbage billes etc.....It is hard but you can do it. Hang in there.