Respectfully, who runs this board?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
aviator202

Respectfully, who runs this board?

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 am

I have read many, many posts on this board...And I have come to a conclusion....

My opinion, after long and careful study of the posts, is that this board is bought and paid for by the CPAP manufacturers/distributors...

Here is why I say that.... There is a complete lack of acknowledgement that ANYONE benefits from ANY treatment other than CPAP...The consensus is that NOTHING WORKs (i.e. surgery...) execept CPAP...( and a FEW posts that barely admit that...well, yes, dental devices have some slight promise.....

Truthfully, I refuse to believe that the Pillar Procedure, LAUP, UPX3, et al....are complete failures and frauds...YET there are NO success stories on this board that I can detect AT ALL....

Since surgery is a direct competitor to the very lucrative CPAP industry....and best of all, it's (CPAP) another one of those treatment for life deals...The complete lack of published success stories makes perfect sense....

However, that turns this from an information board to one of at best pure advertisement...and at worst, propaganda...

Therefore, I have GREAT skepticism of the overall validity on the claims made here....

I agree that CPAP is considered the GOLD STANDARD of treatment for sleep apnea....But to pretend it is the ONLY way to go...that is misleading at best...

Industry paid posters....feel free to flame away....

dsm

Re: Respectfully, who runs this board?

Post by dsm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am

No you have it quite wrong - we are a wild bunch of amateurs

DSM

but If I was asked to be honest I would have to be honest & say the RestedGal runs this board.

(sorry just couldn't resist )
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:41 am

This forum IS sponsored by Cpap.com, but why you think anyone's pretending is a mystery. Why don't you read other valid literature (rather than testimonials from dentists, surgeons, etc.) and then decide? People here are 100% free to express themselves on the forum - and plenty do - about not liking Cpap, or about having had surgery (and the consequences, not all bad). If your reading of their posts has given you a consensus, i.e. that Cpap is the way to go, then maybe that IS the answer. Do you seriously think we're all paid patsies or whatever? We've just wandered by, like anyone else in cyberspace, looking for answers, and having found that this forum has them so often, not from Cpap.com directly, but just other wanderers, have decided to stop and be part of it. There's nothing secret, or political or underhanded going on, we're just happy to have been given a place to go without many of the restrictions put on so many other forums. It's not brain surgery .

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:49 am

To Julie...

Do I think you are ALL paid patsies?...No, not at all....maybe HALF of the posts are industry plants...LOL

And the fact that I can find NO surgical success stories?????.....Maybe somebody is editing/deleting such information...It DOES happen at Internet sites, you know?.....

And your comment that....maybe CPAP IS the way to go?....Well, this site certainly APPEARS to indicate that is such...

Unfortunately, it is way TOO one sided to make me believe that the CPAP industry is NOT influencing this site....

Objectivity??....Definitely lacking here.....

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 am

Well now I guess I have to fess up, this board is really controlled by Darwin.

It keeps evolving and people come & people go & xpap just keeps rolling along but each year we see new evolution

1st there was cpap
then there was cpap auto
then there was bipap
then there was vpap
then there was bipap auto
then there was vpap auto
then there was vpap adapt sv
then there was biap autoSv
then there was SOMNOvent CR

it just never ends

D
Last edited by dsm on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:22 am

Seeeeeee???............That's the spirit!!!

All kinds o' product to sell!!!!.............We want to sell, sell, sell!!!!

But a CURE???.............Oh Lawdy, Lawdy....ANYTHING but THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

katcw

Post by katcw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 am

Excuse me, but the **name** of the board is **cpaptalk,** which to me indicates that it is a forum for talking about cpap therapy. Perhaps there are other boards out there that talk about other options, but this one is titled specifically on the topic of xpap.

And, as someone else said, anyone can post about any of the therapies. It is just that since the board is called cpaptalk, most talk about cpap.

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:26 am

And, I believe and in my opinion....the people who garner immense profits from CPAP darn well want to keep it that way....

Cobalt Panther

Post by Cobalt Panther » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:30 am

Aviator202,
Maybe the reason you don't find much about the surgical options is because this forum is for Cpap users. We come here for advice and support. Some give and some receive. Speaking for me, I don't think I would want to go "under the knife" for a treatment that is not 100% guaranteed. Too many chances of something going wrong and I am not even talking about the results from the surgery. I have decided that Cpap is the way to go for me and visit this forum because it is for Cpap users. If I was going for the surgery I would look for a forum for that. Sorry to ramble on but why go to a Cpap forum if you want info on surgery?

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:40 am

Well now, let me spell out the difference between a medical site....and a merely commercial site.....

Commercial sites have product to sell....Biased???....What do you think?

I bet almost NOBODY wears a CPAP mask/machine for grins and giggles...

I bet CPAP users have an underlying medical disorder...OSA/Snoring

A for profit commercial site would work very hard at showing that their PRODUCT is BEST....whether that is true or not...

And one of the best ways to SCARE someone into using your product is by disparaging the competition....i.e. Surgery...

Because, darn it!!!...If something else works....WE MIGHT LOSE MARKET SHARE!!!!!!!

Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy....Caint't have that now, don'cha know?????

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 am

so.....if you are so skeptical and unhappy with this forum....why waste your precious time here? respectfully, of course....

"Knowledge is power."

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:49 am

Oh heck, I don't know....Maybe when I strongly perceive bias when seeking truth....

I think I get annoyed....and go into my speaking truth to power mode....

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:53 am

Funnyness aside (for now). Most of us know this site talks about cpaps & is owned & managed by cpap.com who sell cpap machines.

They don't sell operations ? - if someone wants to sell surgery & start a forum good for them & may they gets lots of traffic.

But as anyone who knows the web can see & tell, cpaptalk is a resoundingly successful site that attracts a worldwide following
of interested & committed people. We have our scraps & puch-ups just like any 'open' forum does & although there have been
times where members have insisted the forum owners apply policing, they have flatly refused saying that (& in hindsight right)
the board should be able to regulate itself else it loses its open value.

There are a few self appointed junkyard dogs who bite some members from time to time (so watch out ) but all in all it has
worked & as said, is possibly the most successful on-going cpap forum in the world.

Now we come to your motives ? - are you suggesting that surgery proponents be encouraged to hawk their wares here ?

Just what is your motive ? - I am wondering (as I am sure many other are )

Cheers & welcome to the most succesful cpap forum I have ever come across.

DSM
Last edited by dsm on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

aviator202

Post by aviator202 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 am

You, Sir, are a gentleman....I tip my hat...

My motives?....Well, I am a licensed healthcare pro (retired...nursing)

The people who come to this site are seeking info because they or a loved one has a diagnosis of OSA/Snoring...

This site by NOT acknowledging that surgical success abounds....leaves the impression that CPAP AND ONLY CPAP is the ONLY treatment option end of story.....

And the above statement is not true....

And this site and its' forums indicate that it is basically CPAP...or death...Way too heavy on the scare tactics folks!!

So I say folks, this site has a mission...TO SELL CPAP machines!!!!.....They would love for you to think it's this or nothing!!!

And that surely is NOT true......

littleredtree2

Post by littleredtree2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 am

SleepyT wrote:so.....if you are so skeptical and unhappy with this forum....why waste your precious time here? respectfully, of course....
you said it perfect.

I came to this forum by accident. When starting treatment I chose.

My Doctor told me the only alternative was to have a hole in my throat with a thing in it to breath through. Yes. I chose to put a mask on my face.

Can you imagine looking in the mirror and seeing a hole! Or the look on my grandchilds face, when she sees that!?

I personally am glad to see a company paying for the best, most imformative forum for CPAP. I have looked at many others not paid for by Cpap.com. They were lacking...everything.

Thank You Cpap.com And fellow forum folks. You are like a extention to our familys
''Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them,
and you have their shoes."
-- Frieda Norris