waking up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cybermom53

waking up

Post by cybermom53 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

I've been on Cpap for 2 weeks today and think I'm generally doing OK, but I have new questions/issues every day. I'm using a Swift LT for her with nasal pillows. I generally am falling asleep just fine, but I keep waking up (usually around 3 or 4 a.m.). I think I wake up when I turn from one side to another. Sometimes, I think the pillows dislodge or I hear air escaping from the hose that is connected to the pillows. I have trouble falling back asleep. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong with the hose or the mask? Is there anything I should be doing to keep the pillows/headgear in place when I turn?

Julie

Re: waking up

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Well... I would try a 'regular' nasal mask, the kind that goes over your nose (or a FF one that also covers your mouth) as I think they sit more consistently in place all night - I did try the Swift long ago and never liked it, apart from the noise.

cotech50

Post by cotech50 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:54 pm

I have the same problem I try to focus in on my noise machine, am going to try some relaxation techniques after about an hour of flopping I go put the pot on and watch FOX NEWS. At least the 5-6 hrs I am getting are better than the 5-6 I was getting b4 I got my machine. At least I am not ready for a nap by 8am. I have been doing this 5-6 for so long I do not know what it will take to break the cycle. My wife can put her mask on about 10 (I have already been in asleep an hour) and has to have the alarm wake her at 6:30 she does not seem to have the problem of getting back to sleep.

That is 8.5 hours of sleep, I have never gotten more that 7 and that was rare most 5-6.

GOOD LUCK
cotech50

pmcall57

Post by pmcall57 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 pm

I use the Swift LT for her and have no problem turning side to side. Not sure what I'm doing so that's the case, but I think it has to do with leaving quite a bit of slack in the hose, so there's no tugging on it when turning. I lay the hose on top of the comforter (it's heated, so can't go underneath anyway) -- so it doesn't get caught in the bed linens.

That's all I can think of. I do sometimes wake up slightly when turning over, and give the hose a nudge if it seems hung up. But then I (usually) get right back to sleep.

I know other people hang the hose from the headboard to keep slack in it. I haven't tried that myself, but it might be another approach.

I really like this mask, I can almost forget I have it on. But everybody's different ...

Good luck!

Pam

fischdream

Post by fischdream » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Before cpap, one month today, I only woke up once maybe twice a night. Since cpap, I wake up 5-7 times a night because of leaks, discomfort, readjust mask or hose, etc. BUT! before cpap I was tired ALL the time, had a brain fog that some days was so bad it scared me, headaches, arrhythmia, tachycardia, etc. Now even though I wake up more, I'm more rested, alert and all the above symptoms are either gone or going away! So even though cpap is a pain, I'm staying with it!

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I used the same LT mask in the beginning, and had the same problem of it dislodging from my nose as I turned from side to side....usally closer to morning. I switched to a nasal mask (Mirage Micro) and eliminated the problem....... I now sleep through the night, most nights.........and I not only enjoy the sleep, but also waking up in the am, ready for the day.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

coldautumn

Post by coldautumn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:50 pm

I had the same problem with Swift LT for her, so I switched to another one. As it turns out, I was just being too conscious of the hose that every time I move, I wake up.
DDS Plano | Dental Killeen

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm

cybermom53 wrote:I've been on Cpap for 2 weeks today and think I'm generally doing OK, but I have new questions/issues every day. I'm using a Swift LT for her with nasal pillows. I generally am falling asleep just fine, but I keep waking up (usually around 3 or 4 a.m.). I think I wake up when I turn from one side to another. Sometimes, I think the pillows dislodge or I hear air escaping from the hose that is connected to the pillows. I have trouble falling back asleep. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong with the hose or the mask? Is there anything I should be doing to keep the pillows/headgear in place when I turn?
Hi, cybermom53. You and the other Swift LT users may want to check out the "Lab Rat" mask/strap modifications here: viewtopic.php?t=15104. Scroll down to "Swift LT". Perhaps there's a link there that will lead to a solution.

There are also LOTS of modifications for other masks there too!

~ DreamOn

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 pm

fischdream wrote:Before cpap, one month today, I only woke up once maybe twice a night. Since cpap, I wake up 5-7 times a night because of leaks, discomfort, readjust mask or hose, etc. BUT! before cpap I was tired ALL the time, had a brain fog that some days was so bad it scared me, headaches, arrhythmia, tachycardia, etc. Now even though I wake up more, I'm more rested, alert and all the above symptoms are either gone or going away! So even though cpap is a pain, I'm staying with it!
You have a great attitude, fischdream! Hopefully, those nightly annoyances will get worked out over time. I'm with you -- it is SO worth it!

~ DreamOn

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:50 am

I had the same problems, but started hanging the hose above the bed from the headboard. The hose is tied so that the mask frame rests fully on the pillows with a bit of slack. When I roll over, there is very little resistance. The hose is also covered in a fleece cover that makes is soft and quiet. You can use anything as a hanger. I happen to use a door wreath hanger which is very available these days.

kingmaker

Post by kingmaker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 am

I got the same problem and I would like to find the solution for it..

cybermom53

Post by cybermom53 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I tried hanging the hose and it helped a lot last night. I was much less aware of the hose when I turned over and I don't think I woke up as much. I do think I'm still dislodging the mask at times. I'm going to take a closer look at those links and see what I can do about keeping it in place.Thanks everyone!

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:53 pm

cybermom53 wrote:I tried hanging the hose and it helped a lot last night. I was much less aware of the hose when I turned over and I don't think I woke up as much. I do think I'm still dislodging the mask at times. I'm going to take a closer look at those links and see what I can do about keeping it in place.Thanks everyone!
Don't give up! I think you will get used to it and tweak things as you go. You are early into it...

"Knowledge is power."

cybermom53

Post by cybermom53 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:28 am

Wow, DreamOn. I tried adding the elastic after looking at your links for the Swift LT. Amazingly, it really worked. Kept the mask in place. Thanks for the help.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:45 am

cybermom53 wrote:Wow, DreamOn. I tried adding the elastic after looking at your links for the Swift LT. Amazingly, it really worked. Kept the mask in place. Thanks for the help.
I'm so happy to hear that you found something that helped, cybermom53! Getting the right style and size of mask and then making it work are the biggest challenges for most of us on this CPAP adventure.

ALL the thanks go to rested gal, who compiled all those wonderful Lab Rat mask-fix links (as well as so many other great compilations and posts here on this forum). She is such a gem!

~ DreamOn