Added Any Equipment to Your Basic CPAP Therapy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SaltLakeJan

Added Any Equipment to Your Basic CPAP Therapy?

Post by SaltLakeJan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:02 pm

There are a few lucky guys on this forum who bought their basic equipment, & other than replacement items, haven't added much to their CPAP supplies. There are a few others like me, whose therapy needs a littl' improvement. After joining the Forum last January, I read Our Wisdom, & all the threads that seemed to apply to me. I immediately discovered I needed any number of "accessories". Rested Gal's tights & plumbers tapes are items I still use.

However, Mack's Earplug Wax didn't help seal my mask. Poligrip (was yucky) & regular adhesive tape ( rated a big "Ouch) Paper & Painter's tape were a less painful way to seal my loose lips. I still don't know if Dawn cleans my equipment better than Baby Shampoo, but I have an ample supply of each? After the first time I got a Rainout nasal shower, I made a fleece cover - the Rainout persisted, but a Heated Tube was excellent purchase. Next, I read I needed Ayr Nasal Gel, or was it Lansinoh, no problem, I bought both? Oh, I needed nasal spray too. Was Afrin the good one, or was it Saline Spray, or maybe Sudafed? The littl' box of supplies in my nightstand, is still growin'.

I have an oximeter, & recently bought a Hydration Pak. Rooster, said he wore it to break his back-sleeping habit. Hey Rooster, I know it is to break my back-sleeping, but it surely isn't comfy. The only new thing on my "Must Have" list is Silly Putty. Did y'all read it seals your mask against leaks?

Seriously, I've bought these things to improve my therapy. Some have worked, some have not. What have you bought or tried that has worked well for you? I have been wondering 'bout pillows, pap-cap,pad-a-cheek, on 'n on.

Jan

Paul56

Re: Added Any Equipment to Your Basic CPAP Therapy?

Post by Paul56 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I have purchased NO accessories and like to keep things as simple as possible... less to go wrong and fiddle with.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Paul56 wrote:I have purchased NO accessories and like to keep things as simple as possible... less to go wrong and fiddle with.
AMEN! The KISS principle generally rules the day!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:23 pm

The only thing I have bought is a special pillow.
stop the bull the cow is dead!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Padacheeks are very awesome... makes everything snuggly she even made me a hose wrap. And some Ayr Gel and some pursleep.

diboja

Post by diboja » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Reading this forum I picked up a few ideas...

+Hose holder hanger - a wise purchase!
+Mole skin tape - has been handy now and then
+cleaning the humidifier with polident tablets - good one!
+Bought a hose wrap but since the Hose holder keeps the hose up high I find I don't use it.
+Use Nasal mask but bought a Full face for backup
Keep it simple (KISS)...

Last edited by diboja on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm

I have bought:

1. autoPAPs and software
2. Li-ion CPAP battery
3. Deep cycle battery and charger
4. Masks
5. Filters
6. Hoses
7. European and UK cords for my CPAP (I got them cheap from a surplus store)
8. Cheap extension cords
9. Hose quick connector
10. Hose elbow
11. Aussie heated hose for use when the the wind-chill inside the mask is unbearably cold

This is over a 15 year period. I do not use a humidifier and I don't mouth breath, so that simplifies things.

FatiguedMe

Post by FatiguedMe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Jan,
Just a quick note here DO NOT use SILLY PUTTY! It has chemicals in it that are harmful to the cushion of the mask! (giggle)

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks to this forum, I had a "1st aid kit" ready for my 1st night of cpap--saline nasal spray and Ayr nasal gel, Lansinoh, various kinds of medical tape, head bands, and scrunchies. Later I added Claritin and Gas X, and Maalox.

I have these accessories: ResScan 3.7 software and card reader, CMS 50E oximeter, Sleepzone heated Aussie hose, Hose cover, Hozer hose management, hose quick connects, PAPillow, Pad a Cheek, PapCap. I use it all, and don't regret any of the purchases, because it has made cpap more comfortable and tolerable for me.

And I have wonderful friends and mentors at cpaptalk.com!

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:35 pm

You're wearing Rested Gal's tights?

OK, so I bought the Lansinoh and use it occasionally.

I bought the Regenesis pillow and no longer use it (lasted about two weeks).

I bought the card reader and have the software and use it weekly.

and I tie a shoelace around my head to hold the nasal pillows in place.

Other than that...

I

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:48 am

I have added just a new mask and some hose hangers to my original CPAP setup. I already have a deep cycle battery, and chargers that were originally used for other purposes. I will eventually have to add a charger for the CPAP backup battery. I built a battery cable rather than purchasing one-- most parts were already on hand in my electronic shop.

I will need a permanent stand for my machine-- using a stack of books right now. I have a candidate stand that just needs modification. Will have a piece of marble I already own cut down to size for the top (Marble is waterproof, will damp out any vibration from the machine and above all, it was free).

I'm glad I set up an insulated hose from day 1. No rainout problems, and no need for a heated hose.

In the long run, other than maybe having to use a different machine, the only thing needing a serious upgrade is the bed.

One think I bought and have not used much-- disinfectant. I quickly found out that this was not often needed, and that good old soap and water (and perhaps some alcohol now and then) are all that are needed for cleaning.

Just an interesting observation on tape for taping the mouth shut. Lots of choices lsited. We had some really cool tape at the last place I worked. It was made of teflon with silicone 'stickum'. Stopped steam leaks in TV transmitters! Wonder what that would do to lips Oh, and it was $110 a roll

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 am

Things I've added on and still use:
Card reader and software
Knitted a hose cover
Chin strap (although mine is an eye mask)
Ayr Gel
Medical tape
Sleep wedge
Little hanger in the shower to air-dry my nasal pillow

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:22 am

I still have Thanksgiving guests. Didn't have time for more than quick review. Seems more men advocate KISS.

FatiguedMe. I wondered about possible chemicals in Play Dough/Silly Puttywhen it was mentioned as a product to stop mask leaks.
Good information to have. Thanks

Jan

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:59 pm

I use an Aussie heated hose, and like someone else mentioned, I tie a shoelace around my head to keep the nasal pillows in place. (I lace it through part of the headgear in the back so it stays in place.) Added a two-foot hose between my mask and the heated hose to make it longer, and have a hose cover on that two-foot section. Oh, I also use baby wipes to clean the mask on alternate nights--wash one day, use the wipes the next. Card reader and software.

This is something I've not added, but rather taken away---I cut the chin flap off my Hybrid mask! Thanks Rooster!

Pam

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Good thread idea, SaltLakeJan!

Well, I should just refer you to KatieW's earlier post, because my list is so similar to hers! Following is a list of CPAP/sleep-related "essentials" and frivolous items that I have acquired in recent months. What can I say – obviously I went a little nuts!

• ResMed S8 Elite II CPAP
• Integrated H4i Humidifier
• ResScan 3.7 software and USB cable (computer is next to CPAP machine)
• ResMed Mirage Activa LT nasal mask
• AEIOMed Headrest nasal pillows mask
• CMS 50E pulse oximeter (includes software) - to check oxygen saturation once in a while
• Extra hose and machine filters
• Ayr Saline Nasal Gel (apply inside nostrils when using nasal pillows mask)
• Lansinoh lanolin cream (usually found in the nursing mother’s aisle at the store - use outside nostrils with nasal pillows mask)
• PAPCap Plus - comfortable cotton “cap” with a wide cotton chinstrap and straps to affix four-point mask: http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... category=0
• Pur-Sleep CPAP desensitization aromatherapy oils (so far, I've only purchased the 1-cent set of four samples): http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/produ ... category=3
• Pad A Cheek Forehead and Nose Bridge Protector, for use with my nasal mask: http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Nosebridge.html
• “Natural sounds” CDs (“ocean” and “rain”, as those sounds soothe me)
• Assorted nose bridge friction/pressure barriers – round bandages, tape, etc.
• Lip balm
• Band-Aid Friction Block – use on upper lip with nasal mask
• Buckwheat hull pillow – didn’t work for me, but many people swear by them; I will remove some of the hulls and try it again at some point
• Soft latex pillow – works fine for me
• A new blended Talalay latex bed – heavenly!: http://flobeds.com/product_details.htm?ID=6080EK
• SnugFleece Original Wool Mattress Cover – oh-so-soft and comfy!
• All-cotton bedding
• This fabulous three-drawer cart with rollers from Target. It keeps all my gear organized, and it’s the perfect bed-height for my CPAP machine:

Homemade items:

Used this for a while, to keep myself from rolling onto my back. Made with an old belt, a tube sock, two tennis balls, and three rubber bands. I wore it strapped around right below my armpits, with the tennis balls in the back. It worked well for me.

Knitted hose cover – more info on this thread: viewtopic/t47017/CPAP-on-the-Cheap-and- ... tions.html

Clip to keep hose affixed to pillow – more info on this thread: viewtopic/t47017/CPAP-on-the-Cheap-and- ... tions.html

A log to keep track of my progress, which I created using my word-processing program.

I have become a CPAP accessory junkie I guess! Oh well, there are worse vices. For the record, I have NO plans to buy anything else anytime in the near future! But I decided that sleeping well is my #1 priority right now. I view it as an investment in my health. Whatever gets us through the night and makes CPAP more comfortable, right?

Maybe this thread will inspire some Christmas wish-list ideas....

~ DreamOn
Last edited by DreamOn on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.