Mold in CPAP Humidifier Tank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RocketGirl

Re: Mold in CPAP Humidifier Tank

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I've been hand-washing my tank once a week with unscented liquid soap, and then I douse it with full-strength hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle. If it bubbles, it means it's found something to oxidize and I know something is in there for it to destroy even if I can't see it.

I leave the peroxide in for an hour or two, then empty it and let it dry (no rinse, and peroxide doesn't leave a smell). So far so good, and my tank still looks new (admittedly it's only two months old).

I use vinegar sometimes too, and I like the polident idea.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:58 pm

archangle wrote:I don't wash it in the same load with dishes, of course.
Do you use the same dishwasher soap for it that is used for the dishes?

What about the streak free stuff one puts in dishwashers - Do you use that?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I use Method unscented in the tank; Dawn leaves a scent that I don't like to breathe.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 pm

StevenXXXX wrote:
archangle wrote:I don't wash it in the same load with dishes, of course.
Do you use the same dishwasher soap for it that is used for the dishes?

What about the streak free stuff one puts in dishwashers - Do you use that?
I use normal dishwasher powder, whatever I happen to buy. Sometimes it leaves a very faint smell of the perfume behind. The smell has never been strong enough to bother me.

I believe the streak free stuff (rinse agent) actually works by leaving a film on the dishes that the water sticks to and dries as a film instead of as separate drops. Because of that, I don't use it when washing CPAP stuff. I haven't actually experimented with it to see what it does to my CPAP equipment. I believe your dishes aren't actually cleaner with rinse agents, it's just that the crud is in a thin, even film on your dishes, rather than concentrated in clumps where you can see it.

You should be able to reduce spots and streaks by wiping the parts dry while they're still wet from washing.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:51 pm

KimberlyM wrote:For those who own a Resmed humidifier, there is a Youtube video on how to open it to clean it. I haven't tried it yet, but saw a thread here about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scg8Nc9LkRo

Has anyone tried it?
I have both the dishwasher safe one and the disposable tank. I have taken apart the disposable tank and put it back together successfully. I don't think it could withstand this in an ongoing basis, but the same could be said for the dishwasher-safe tank, considering its plastic hinges. The dishwasher-safe version comes apart fully. It's top-rack safe. You don't have to put the gasket in the dishwasher. That can be hand-washed and steeped in a standard ten-minute vinegar-based soak.

I've been getting something that turns my water to gel, if I leave the water in too long (weeks). You can't tell just by looking at it that the water is tainted. It's entirely clear, but it's gelled. I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if it's a microbe of some sort.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 pm

DreamDiver wrote:I've been getting something that turns my water to gel, if I leave the water in too long (weeks). You can't tell just by looking at it that the water is tainted. It's entirely clear, but it's gelled. I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if it's a microbe of some sort.
EEEK!!! Are you using tap water or distilled?

I'd say to dump the water out a lot more often.

That's got to be something bad in the water. Even if you have bacteria, there has to be some sort of matter in the water for them to create a gel from.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:37 am

archangle wrote:EEEK!!! Are you using tap water or distilled?

That's got to be something bad in the water. Even if you have bacteria, there has to be some sort of matter in the water for them to create a gel from.
That's what I've been doing, rest assured. I'm using reverse osmosis (RO) water.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:08 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
archangle wrote:EEEK!!! Are you using tap water or distilled?

That's what I've been doing, rest assured. I'm using reverse osmosis (RO) water.
You should dump it out into another container sometimes and see what it looks like once it dries out.

Useful Links.

bobsyouruncle

Post by bobsyouruncle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:55 pm

I use a resmed escape II and I recently discovered orangish mold/fungus (sometype of stuff) floating in the resevior. I cleaned the resevior with alchol and hydrogen peroxide. Then cleaned the tube and mask with alchol, and the rest of the machine with acavis. Pretty sure I got it, but was wondering if anyone knew what it was and if it can cause rotting teeth? My furthest back lower molars are killing me now. This is the second time I think my cpap has caused me problems with my teeth. Any suggestions on how to protect what I have left of my chompers?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Mold is fungus; tooth decay is due to bacteria.
No connection at all, except that cleaning helps prevent both.
Note: humidifier and teeth must be cleaned separately, both frequently.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Welcome, Bob.

Please sign up for an ID and put your equipment in your profile and we can help you better. There's a link in my signature line about how to enter the info.

Do you have the "H4i" upgrade to get the dishwashable tank for your humidifier?

Do you use distilled water in your humidifier? How often do you clean, and how do you clean it?

Useful Links.

Java

Post by Java » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 am

This is why I don't use my humidifier. I was given one, but never took it out of the box because I am scared of moist humid water festering mold and fungus blowing into my lungs. Even if you clean it and it doesn't have mold, I don't like the idea of moist warm water going into my lungs. Maybe I am crazy. But I don't seem to need it or want it. What are the benefits to using a humidifier?
Java :)

Fifty Shades of Exhausted!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:32 am

Java wrote:This is why I don't use my humidifier. I was given one, but never took it out of the box because I am scared of moist humid water festering mold and fungus blowing into my lungs. Even if you clean it and it doesn't have mold, I don't like the idea of moist warm water going into my lungs. Maybe I am crazy. But I don't seem to need it or want it. What are the benefits to using a humidifier?
Java
If you lived in a very dry climate you would instantly know the reason to use a humidifier....dry nasal passages, dry mouth and throat, dry cough .
If you keep your tank clean and only use distilled water you will not grow mould.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 am

I hope that I'm not going to jinx myself by saying this...

I clean out my humidifier once a week using hot water and baby shampoo, I let it soak for a bit and then wipe it dry in the morning and let it air dry for the rest of the day. I'm even tempting fate by using Walmart distilled water and in 4 months I've never had an issue and my humidifier tank looks as clean as the day I took it out of the box and the water is always crystal clear.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Sounds like Methylobacterium to me. It's a common bacterium that likes to grow on plastic, not so much on metal. Grows in water baths in the laboratory with regularity. The bug is resistant to chlorinated cleaners (Clorox), but it isn't a pathogen, so shouldn't be a health concern. It's common in standing water, e.g. toilets where it forms a ring around the water line. Regular cleaning of your humidifier with dish soap is all you need to do to keep this bug at bay.