Mold in CPAP Humidifier Tank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjdoe

Re: Mold in CPAP Humidifier Tank

Post by jjdoe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 pm

My doctor said to rinse the rez in 10% bleach. I don't do this often, but the rez always looks clean. When I first got it, I just added the missing water. It got cloudy quickly!
I empty it every morning, and fill it up at night.

how to get bed bugs out of your cpap machine

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:11 pm

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF BED BUGS IF THEY GOT INTO YOUR CPAP MACHINCE

annabot

Post by annabot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm

This thread is freaking me out.

I live in Florida.

And I have had my cpap for 10 months now. I've never cleaned it, a single time. I don't clean the humidifier, tubing, or anything. I rinse off my mask about every two nights and that's about it. I do replace the parts on a schedule (every two months or so I think?), but I don't clean anything. I use distilled water. All of my tubing, chamber, and everything else are spotless clean.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:43 pm

annabot wrote:This thread is freaking me out.... All of my tubing, chamber, and everything else are spotless clean.
so, why should the thread be freaking you out?

just because some idgit allegedly kept pouring water into the tank and never ever looking at it.... (what? idgit had his eyes closed while filling the tank???)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

pookie15

Post by pookie15 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Eureka!!!
Got h-pylori. Doctor couldn't figure out why. Had terrible coughing too. Had to get pro-air inhaler. I figured out on my own w/o going from doctor to doctor and all kinds of medical tests--it's my cpap machine and mold in it! I will faithfully make sure the tank is clean from now on. Everyone who gets sick from lung infections, allergies, etc., wise up. If you use a cpap machine, that's why you are sick. Save yourself a lot of time and sickness, clean your tank and kill the mold!

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm

pookie15 wrote:Eureka!!!
Got h-pylori. Doctor couldn't figure out why. Had terrible coughing too. Had to get pro-air inhaler. I figured out on my own w/o going from doctor to doctor and all kinds of medical tests--it's my cpap machine and mold in it! I will faithfully make sure the tank is clean from now on. Everyone who gets sick from lung infections, allergies, etc., wise up. If you use a cpap machine, that's why you are sick. Save yourself a lot of time and sickness, clean your tank and kill the mold!
H-Pylori lives in the stomach and is a type of infection which occurs when a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infects your stomach. It doesn't have anything to do with mold because it is caused by bacteria that is probably already in your stomach.

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Most people don't realize they have H. pylori infection, because they never get sick from it. If you develop signs and symptoms of a peptic ulcer, your doctor will probably test you for H. pylori infection, because it can be treated with antibiotics. SOURCE: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20030903
Still a good idea to clean that humidifier reservoir, just maybe not for that reason.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:26 pm

Nice try, pookie.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:54 am

This old thread keeps coming back, probably for good reason. Anyway, here's a tip (called the salt trick by Pugsy) for cleaning the tanks corners and hard to reach spots. Pour in a couple of tablespoons of salt (it won't scratch). Add a enough water to make a medium light slurry, then use something like a toothbrush or even a Q-tip to scrub into the corners - after scrubbing let the solution set for a half an hour so the salt breaks down the covalent chemical bonds of the scum/film/mold. Rinse thoroughly with water or even do a final soak with vinegar followed by more water to make everything sparkling. I've done it twice a year for years and never have tank problems (I do also use Control III once a week and swish that around and let set for half an hour).

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:44 pm

What a load of bull crap

Night Ranger

Post by Night Ranger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I never leave any moisture in my humidifier -- dump the water, air dry in the cpap for a few minutes and set it on a towel [disassembled] to stay dry all day.

russmac

Post by russmac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm the perfect picture of what not to do when it comes to cleaning. I can't count the number of times I've let pink slime grow in the tank of my old machine (F&P Icon). The remarkable thing about my using a CPAP machine is how I rarely get bad colds that settle in my nasal passages. If I go to bed with congestion from a cold I almost always wake up clear.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Night Ranger wrote:I never leave any moisture in my humidifier -- dump the water, air dry in the cpap for a few minutes and set it on a towel [disassembled] to stay dry all day.
Yeah, I live at mold central here, Club Med for mold...that's what I do, too. Dump the water first thing when I get up, and let the tank air dry. Doesn't use much water overnight around here, so it really isn't a problem since I don't need to put much water in at night.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 pm

russmac wrote:I'm the perfect picture of what not to do when it comes to cleaning. I can't count the number of times I've let pink slime grow in the tank of my old machine (F&P Icon). The remarkable thing about my using a CPAP machine is how I rarely get bad colds that settle in my nasal passages. If I go to bed with congestion from a cold I almost always wake up clear.
It isn't a mold, it is bacteria Serratia marcescens that shows up as a pinkish slime that is believed to be the cause of blood seen on religious statues. Also, you must be a really nasty housekeeper.

Here is a UTOOB video that includes more information than one may ever need - Interesting stuff including a conspiracy to expose Americans to this as a Military exercise.

Again, Russ, You are a Nasty Person! Clean Up Your Act!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2yuVyT2to

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:29 pm

flightco wrote:
What a load of bull crap
+1

russmac

Post by russmac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 pm

GettingBetter wrote:
russmac wrote:I'm the perfect picture of what not to do when it comes to cleaning. I can't count the number of times I've let pink slime grow in the tank of my old machine (F&P Icon). The remarkable thing about my using a CPAP machine is how I rarely get bad colds that settle in my nasal passages. If I go to bed with congestion from a cold I almost always wake up clear.
It isn't a mold, it is bacteria Serratia marcescens that shows up as a pinkish slime that is believed to be the cause of blood seen on religious statues. Also, you must be a really nasty housekeeper.

Here is a UTOOB video that includes more information than one may ever need - Interesting stuff including a conspiracy to expose Americans to this as a Military exercise.

Again, Russ, You are a Nasty Person! Clean Up Your Act!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2yuVyT2to

I'm a tough old buzzard. It's had years to kill me and hasn't done a very good job.