Magnesium and Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Magnesium and Apnea

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am

Never said it was related to mag, but... I did say use this forum's search bar (not Google) for aerophagia. And still don't know what machine you have.

hans333

Post by hans333 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:57 am

Machine is a Philips DreamStation ...

Yep did vitamine D tests and got the supplements afterwards, still taking it, will do a new test later this month to see where we are.

CBD oil risky ? I've read a lot about it, not seen that it was risky, it's actually hemp oil, so not like weed, didn't take it for a long time , but certainly helped with sleep apnea, and for tryptophane, I used very low dose (125mg) so not sure that's a dangerous dose

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am

Little advice here - xxxyz is a problem in the forum... believes he knows it all but gives very bad advice and you'd be better off to just ignore what he says (see what others have said as well). Is the Dream Station an Apap or ? Have you ever used Sleepyhead software to see what's going on overnight? If not we can help you get that set up.

hans3303

Post by hans3303 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am

Hi Julie,

good question, not sure what is APAP or not, I know the tech guy set it up to adapt to my expiration a few times but then that didn't work, got a few different settings and then decided to stop using it. No I didn't yet use the software on the smartphone to see diagnostics, I'm still trying to do without and if the Powerbreath tool fails then I might go back, or even consider jaw surgery which is my last resort, but from all the machines I tested I never got used to the aerophagia, seems only 1% of the users have issues with it, sad enough I'm one of the 1% thanks!!!

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 am

You have a lot of different issues here... I wasn't talking about a smartphone, but a specific program that requires an ordinary SD card to be in the machine collecting data and which then goes to a card reader for your computer to show many features/details about your sleep... everyone uses it and it can tell your pressures as well as many more things. Forget surgery for now... there's always time for that, but you're not even close until we first know what is going on. I'll give you links below that need to be followed closely but aren't difficult. I can't say now if that PB 'tool' is helping or hurting. Not knowing the model of your machine however, it's hard to say if the software is compatible so PLEASE tell us the MOST info - all words on the top of your machine plus (after emptying humidifier water) turn it upside down and look for a REF # underneath which may help to identify it. Is there a card slot (if not a card) on the machine you can see?

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur
Last edited by Julie on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

xxyzx wrote:
hans033 wrote:Thanks 49er and Julie, just registered waiting for confirmation,

I'm not sure anymore about a lot of things, I started to have sleep issues 2 years ago after a severe burnout, sad enough I never could stop working because of the financial needs for my family so I continued to work (freelance musician and graphics designer), this has been the worst two years of my life, severe anxiety due to work stress and sleep apneas, but I guess many of you know this, they said I have both obstructive apnea and central sleep apnea.

I'm actually in very good physical condition, I have always done sport, eating well, no coffee, very few alcohol, don't smoke, blood tests, weight, all is very good except that we recently discovered that I have way too low Vit D and too much vitamine B6. Now I must say that I think (not sure!) that probably the Vit B6 saturation comes from the magnesium supplements I used over the years which contained B6 ... I used magnesium supplements right before my burnout started and each time I test magnesium I have bad side effects, among them worse sleep apnea like most of the things to relax me.

The side effects I encounter with the CPAP machine are :

- painful bowel (air), we changed machine 3 times, still the same, just can't use it because of this

I just ordered a machine to train diaphragm breathing, this seems to help for people with asthma and sleep apneas too, so we'll see.

The best three weeks I had was after taking 3 drops of CBD oil before sleep and a little bit tryptophane too with high doses of vitamine D each morning, but for some reason something broke this good routine, hence the reason I was looking for the magnesium/sleep apnea relation and so I found this forum.

thanks,

Hans
===========

if you have apnea the machine should be an ASV

with an ASV i am getting used to the aerophagia and it is becoming less of a problem as i get used to the machine
plus you can adjust it to give more pressure over time as you adjust to the thing

vit D should be done after a lab test to get the right amount
tryptophane can be a problem but not always
CBD oil is unproven and risky. but i guess mainlining weed would get some reaction wrt sleep.
No basis to use the very expensive ASV here. Little to no risk with CBD. The historical tryptophan problem was related to contaminants in supplements. That's been cleared up since that time long ago.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

hans003

Post by hans003 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks Julie, i'll check those links, I see what you're saying yes it seems that there is a slot for the SD card didn't knew I could read the info on it myself, but the software with this model seems to give quite a lot of info on smartphone to read and learn about the issues. I may try this evening to use it for a night to see what happens.

I just looked again, and on top it says Philips Respironics, in front Dreamstation and on back it says, Dreamstation Auto FR, that's all but there are also a serial number and some other numbers like REF: FRX500S14 does that say you something ?

thanks, Hans

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes - a lot! All good! You have a relatively new machine that gives lots of data, which is great for Sleepyhead. The REF 500 is the part that says so - the 500 series, tho' there are now newer e.g. 560 ones too. Forget the smartphone but get an SD card, set up SH and check out the aerophagia stuff here... one thing at a time. Then get back when you're ready and you can go to the next step (we'll help you interpret your results).

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Yes, I missed the central apnea reference and I was wrong on that. I would like to see your source for saying that CBD oil is risky as well as tryptophan being risky.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 pm

hans03 wrote:I'll need to look for settings as i stopped using the machine, I believe my settings (pressure) where between 9-10, I'll check for exact info. I felt a bit better using it (mouth + nose mask) actually I've found that it doesn't always make me feel much better then without, but they can't increase pressure because of the aerophagia. I looked on the web, but sincerelly no real solution for this, even the guy who comes from time to time to setup the CPAP doesn't have a solution. I really don't want to use the CPAP machine anymore, really makes me sick to think to use it again so no need to encourage me with this again I prefer other solutions.

Most of the doctors and DME people do NOT know how to use a cpap machine. THey know i theory, but have no practicle experience. This is where this forum is awesome. We have dealt with these issues and found the solutions. Odds are, with some data, we can give you advice that will zero in on settings that will stay comfortable, yet treat the apnea.

Also, keep in mind that this is a cpap forum. We really don't have much advice for NOT using a cpap machine since none of the other treatments work as well. If you are dead set against using it, we won't be able to help you.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:26 am

hans03 wrote:I'll need to look for settings as i stopped using the machine, I believe my settings (pressure) where between 9-10, I'll check for exact info. I felt a bit better using it (mouth + nose mask) actually I've found that it doesn't always make me feel much better then without, but they can't increase pressure because of the aerophagia. I looked on the web, but sincerelly no real solution for this, even the guy who comes from time to time to setup the CPAP doesn't have a solution. I really don't want to use the CPAP machine anymore, really makes me sick to think to use it again so no need to encourage me with this again I prefer other solutions.

The diaphragm exercise tool I bought is the POWERbreathe PLUS Sport, the reason I did was that I saw improvements blowing into a balloon a few times a day, and read that this indeed can strengthen the throat muscles too, so I'm quite sure that doing such exercises are a good thing to do, when I sit down I tend to surprise myself often not breathing correctly when working, so maybe this is also one of the reasons I developed sleep apnea.

Yes, magnesium comes in many forms, and I tried quite a lot of them, last one in date is the magnesium bisglycinate, which has been the best for relaxing feel.
Hans, here is what I would do if I were in your situation.

1. Try a dental device for sleep apnea. You would need to go to a sleep medicine dentist. As a disclaimer, I found it more intolerable than the mask but many people don't. If this is of interest, you might want to go to https://myapnea.org/ where a few sleep medicine dentists post and ask your questions.
2. If the dental device doesn't work, I would look into the Inspire Procedure.
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2017/11/i ... ions-2018/

Best of luck your situation.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:31 am

xxyzx wrote:
TASmart wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
hans033 wrote:Thanks 49er and Julie, just registered waiting for confirmation,

I'm not sure anymore about a lot of things, I started to have sleep issues 2 years ago after a severe burnout, sad enough I never could stop working because of the financial needs for my family so I continued to work (freelance musician and graphics designer), this has been the worst two years of my life, severe anxiety due to work stress and sleep apneas, but I guess many of you know this, they said I have both obstructive apnea and central sleep apnea.

I'm actually in very good physical condition, I have always done sport, eating well, no coffee, very few alcohol, don't smoke, blood tests, weight, all is very good except that we recently discovered that I have way too low Vit D and too much vitamine B6. Now I must say that I think (not sure!) that probably the Vit B6 saturation comes from the magnesium supplements I used over the years which contained B6 ... I used magnesium supplements right before my burnout started and each time I test magnesium I have bad side effects, among them worse sleep apnea like most of the things to relax me.

The side effects I encounter with the CPAP machine are :

- painful bowel (air), we changed machine 3 times, still the same, just can't use it because of this

I just ordered a machine to train diaphragm breathing, this seems to help for people with asthma and sleep apneas too, so we'll see.

The best three weeks I had was after taking 3 drops of CBD oil before sleep and a little bit tryptophane too with high doses of vitamine D each morning, but for some reason something broke this good routine, hence the reason I was looking for the magnesium/sleep apnea relation and so I found this forum.

thanks,

Hans
===========

if you have apnea the machine should be an ASV

with an ASV i am getting used to the aerophagia and it is becoming less of a problem as i get used to the machine
plus you can adjust it to give more pressure over time as you adjust to the thing

vit D should be done after a lab test to get the right amount
tryptophane can be a problem but not always
CBD oil is unproven and risky. but i guess mainlining weed would get some reaction wrt sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No basis to use the very expensive ASV here. Little to no risk with CBD. The historical tryptophan problem was related to contaminants in supplements. That's been cleared up since that time long ago.
===========

you keep proving you are dangerous with bad info

the ASV is the only FDA approved treatment for central apnea that he has

little risk with weed oil ? that is your erroneous opinion

tryptophan can cause other problems even if pure
not guaranteed but a potential risk
Uh, you might want to do some research. Regular CBD oil has very little THC in it which means it is legal in all 50 states.

There is also CBD oil with a high amount of weed which is not legal in all 50 states.

Anything taken can be a risk but then again, doctors prescribe meds without adequate supervision putting patients at risk. Research carefully anything you decide to take whether a doctor presribes it or you decide on your own to take something.

hans0012

Post by hans0012 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 am

49er wrote:
Hans, here is what I would do if I were in your situation.

1. Try a dental device for sleep apnea. You would need to go to a sleep medicine dentist. As a disclaimer, I found it more intolerable than the mask but many people don't. If this is of interest, you might want to go to where a few sleep medicine dentists post and ask your questions.
2. If the dental device doesn't work, I would look into the Inspire Procedure.

Best of luck your situation.
Hello 49er, sorry for late reply didn't seem my approval to this forum so posting just this way. Thanks a lot for your help and info.

I already tester a dental device, but this causes some jaw issues in the morning, and still gives me the sleep apnea. I know my situation is really not easy, the CPAP machine has been initially setup for automatic pressure like sugested, but whatever settings I keep having the side effects in bowel.

The second option you have may be an option, but I must say I'm really afraid to go that route with a device implanted into the body. I may check with chirurgical jaw operation first, but I need to be sure that it's a physical issue in the first place, which I'm still not sure. I'm going to make an appointment.

I have the impression that it's tress related more then physical, as I tend to have more apneas when

1. I have a stressful day
2. when I do sport (very strange!)

but in weekends or vacation things are usually much better, it's not perfect but better

I did some more tests this week with Magnesium and I can confirm that when I take it close to bedtime it makes the apneas worse, actually worse I have to day, in the morning seems better especially if I take it with calcium, but too much magnesium (+400mg) makes mine worse.

thanks, Hans

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 am

hans0012 wrote: hans0012
Did you ever start using Sleepyhead to make sure your CPAP therapy is optimized?

hans007

Post by hans007 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
hans0012 wrote: hans0012
Did you ever start using Sleepyhead to make sure your CPAP therapy is optimized?
No, I don't use my machine so ... tried last week but just can't stand it anymore.